Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

car rides

raingirl
September 20th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I know my own stupidity caused this, but what can you do?

Odin used to ride in the front seat with us, as it was a 6 seater, and had a bench seat in the front seat of the car, and he would sit in the middle, quite happily.

Now we have a new car, only 2 seats in the front. For the last few weeks, we have been alternating sitting in the back with him when we go somewhere. Sometimes we would let him be alone, but then he tries to get in the front seat. Problem is, he has a seat belt, and at it's shortest length, he can get his front paws up front, and he ends up wedging himself between the seats, practically cutting off his lungs. He is so desperate to sit with us, he doesn't care that his harness is digging into him. THen we have to stop, pull over, get him unwedged, and someone moves in the back with him.

I'm really thinking the only option will be to get a barrier to put up between the seats-front and back.

We tried giving him a kong, but he's too interested in the world outside to lay down and eat it. I personally don't mind if he sits on my lap, but he keeps trying to sit in the middle, which he can't do anymore (gear shift).

So..any ideas? Lots of treats and praise?

Prin
September 20th, 2005, 03:22 PM
How can you do this to him? How can you get a new car without asking him how he feels about it first?? :D My doggies know "in the back" and I push them back if they try to come in the front... Maybe he needs to learn it...

Puppyluv
September 20th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Some dogs will jsut stay in the back seat when you tell them too (like Boo and Jemma for example). Other wont. My parents' dog for example will do anything to get from the back of the car to the front. The only way to keep her in the back is a full dog-gate (if there is even a small space, she will try and squeeze through)
You may have to resort to a dog-gate, but theyre pretty pricey.
Also, it probably doesn't help when you sit in the back with him, it's giving him what he wants when you're trying to teach something different.

Prin
September 21st, 2005, 12:12 AM
It's also much easier to stop a 90lb, very very tall doggy from coming in the front than a short, very, very muscley doggy... :D

Lissa
September 21st, 2005, 07:11 AM
I agree with Prin - poor Odin, he didn't get to do the once over before the car was purchased...the again that's what my family did with our previous dog and it didn't work! We specifically bought a van that had a large enough space between the front seats so she could stand/sit/lie down but she ended up sitting in front of the passenger seat her whole life, turning the hazard lights on :crazy: !!

Anyway, I also agree that it sounds like Odin needs to learn to stay where you put him. Although, his stubborness might be pretty hard to beat, I mean he is willing to suffocate himself to be with you :love: .

Is there a seat belt out there that has a shorter length?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 21st, 2005, 09:09 AM
Dogs and (kids) are always safer in the back because of the airbag. I think if you explained this to Odin he would understand and realise that you are concerned for his safety. :D

Have you considered getting a pretty female bully to share the other backseat and divert the attention away from you in the front. :crazy:

raingirl
September 21st, 2005, 10:31 AM
Odin already has a girlfriend named Mable. He played in the mud with her at our meetup last weekend.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
Cute! Joey has girlfriend named Chloe. :)

StaceyB
September 22nd, 2005, 03:40 AM
What kind of seatbelt is he wearing. The styles I know of wouldn't give him enough length to reach the front seat. Also, where in the back seat does he sit.

raingirl
September 22nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
The seatbelt is like a mini-leash. It has a "clicker" at one end that locks into the seat belt thing (where you would connect your seat belt, but you put the leash in it instead) and the shortest we can get it is 15 inches or so...then it has a hook on the end that you attach to his harness, like a regular leash.

I did a google search for dog seat belt and went to google images. Couldn't se anything exactly like it, but a VERY disturbing picture came up 4th row down, second from the left...I didn't click on it...and I don't recommend any of you do. Looked like a pic of a dog who had been in an accident.

Here is a pic:

http://www.pet-essentials.com/ggharness1.jpg

It's basically the same. Didn't come with it's own harness though, just the thing that goes from the belt clip to the harness.

Odin actually did give the ok on the car before we bought it. We went to look at it at the lot after they closed, and he peed on a wheel!

Dog Dancer
September 22nd, 2005, 06:15 PM
Joey that was too funny - explain the airbag to Odin so he'll understand! Excellent!

I think you need to persevere and not sit with him in the back. Maybe stuff something between the seats for a while (a duffle bag or something) so that it's not convenient to him.

I had to get tough after my first 90 lb dog decided she could jump out the driver door the moment I opened it - which meant going over me and past the steering wheel - Ouch!!! For me...

Now the dogs just know the back seat is theirs and no in or out through the front doors. They also know wait until I have a leash on them to get out. Shadow will get into the front seat if we leave her alone in the car, when I get back I remind her she's only 8 and too young to drive so she hops in the back again. :p

Good luck - be firm but loving. He'll figure it out.

Writing4Fun
September 22nd, 2005, 08:14 PM
Didn't someone recently have a link for one of those tunnel-like carrying cases that fit across the back seat? Maybe that would help to keep him in the back? Otherwise, yeah, I agree with the barrier idea - duffle bag or something stuffed between the two front seats. Then carry a bunch of his favourite treats with you. When he tries to get into the front seat, a firm "No, back seat". When he's sitting in the back seat, happy voice and toss him a treat.

NaNa8
September 22nd, 2005, 08:21 PM
The picture on Google clearly does not belong in that link. It is a picture of a man in an accident and I have notified Google about it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 22nd, 2005, 08:26 PM
http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/system/product_detail.php?productid=194

thats the one I bought for Joey, it looks similar to yours Raingirl but instead it has a loop in the back that you put the seat belt through. I like it because with the self locking selt belts the dog will stay secure.
If your vehicle does not have self locking seat belts you can get a locking clip in the baby section of the drug store which will make sure the seat belts dont just give in case you are in an accident.

Prin
September 22nd, 2005, 10:39 PM
Or -what I learned by accident a long time ago- is that for child safety seats, almost all cars' back seat belts lock completely if you pull them all the way out and then let them go back to the length you need (if you go all the way back they reset). So you'd pull it all the way out, slip it through the loop and then click it in and let the seat belt go. It shouldn't be able to pull out anymore. (of course that's for the ones that the seat belt goes through... Not the ones that click in :o )

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 24th, 2005, 04:44 PM
This is what can happen if your dog is not safely secured in your vehicle. :eek:

StaceyB
September 24th, 2005, 06:27 PM
That made me laugh so hard I cried.

Prin
September 25th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Well, ya, leather is slippery!

LoNScamp
September 25th, 2005, 07:44 AM
This is what can happen if your dog is not safely secured in your vehicle. :eek:

Great post I'm still laughing, effective in a humorus way. :eek: I'm going to share it with people if that is ok with you.