Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tape Worms?

leighannd
September 20th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Hey Everyone,

Im new here and also a new doggy owner! I got Welsey, a 6 month old Shepherd Mix from a local no-kill shelter a week ago.

When I got him he was already on meds for "Intestinal Worms", as I was told ... and later when i saw his stool, I figured it must be Tapeworm (due to the rice like eggs, I found).

Ive had a dog before, but Im only 23 - and I was young when I had my old dog - and this is my very first dog that *I* own, not my family! So Im not sure...is Tapeworm very dangerous, could he die from it? Or, is it not something I should be losing sleep over, since he's being medicated?

Also, should I be concerned if he seems to be having poor-coordination? Or is this typical of a puppy? He's very vivacious and playful and energetic, but he wacks his head around and bangs into things and falls off things occasioally hahaha...not so much in a "drunk" way, more in a "excited" way.

Sorry i have so many questions, im a nervous wreck here at work!! haha.

Lucky Rescue
September 20th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Tapeworms are parasites that do little harm to their hosts, and are usually only dangerous if a tiny puppy or ill dog has a huge load of them.

Just have a stool sample checked in a little while to make sure he is parasite free.

Don't worry about the head whacking and falling off things. Typical for a puppy that age, who is growing fast and is not always aware of where he is in relation to things!:p

leighannd
September 20th, 2005, 11:44 AM
thank you!! :)