Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strange pawing/scratching behavior (cat)

shannonRN
September 20th, 2005, 01:33 AM
I put this in the training forum b/c it's a behavioral thing and seems most relevant in a forum that addresses behavior. Lucy, our recently adopted 3 year old DSH, has started this interesting new ritual and I'm not sure what it's all about???? After eating (on a table), she paws on the table top using a similar "technique" to how a cat scratches in the litterbox. She's not scratching hard and not leaving marks. It always gets my attention just because it's SO similar to litterbox scratching that before I knew whether she was well-acquainted with usage of the litterbox, I would panic and think she was going to "go" right on the table. (She never has.) She just paws a time or two in one direction, turns and paws a few more times before going on her way. She shows no mercy to anything she uses as a scratching post--if she wanted to sharpen her claws on the table, I'm quite sure the table top would show it. Any ideas why she's doing this?

april21h1
September 20th, 2005, 07:35 AM
I am not sure if this will help you at all. But my cat Buddy (RIP) used to do this scratching when he was done eating. I think it is because he was a feral kitten and was trying to "hide" his food. I might be wrong.

Lissa
September 20th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Minnow's never done that with food but I've seen cats do this possibly to hide their food or to cover it up because it smells.

Minnow covers everything up that is in an unusual place and has an odor! ;) I think its so funny!

jessi76
September 20th, 2005, 09:53 AM
my old cat used to try to bury her food too - only her wet food. she wouldn't eat it all in one sitting, she'd have a few bites, "bury" it, then come back for more. It always made me laugh...especially when we got a 2nd cat.... she had this horrified look on her face when the other cat ate what she "buried". almost like "what the heck.. I buried it...how did she find it?!?"

shannonRN
September 21st, 2005, 01:06 AM
I 've had several cats over the years, and I've never noticed one do this! At least it's not a litter box thing, and she's not a total nutcase.