Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bones that don't splinter?

shannonRN
September 19th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I used to get my dogs these 6" sections of irradiated beef shin bones and they love to chew on them. The dogs would wear them down eventually, but they lasted for months at a time. Now, I buy the exact same bones but they splinter into large shards immediately and I have to take them away for safety reasons. Are there other types of bones hold up well without the splinters? I've seen large chunks of bones that must be the distal segment of the femur that look sturdy and I'm tempted to try them, but I'm sick of throwing my $ away.

Prin
September 20th, 2005, 01:13 AM
I haven't been successful with bones at all. Everything I give them from cows (including hooves) always makes Boo puke for a few days... :rolleyes:

StaceyB
September 20th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Look for the sterilized beef bone. The rarely break and you are able to wash them. If you are buying from petsmart keep your receipts and return it.

melanie
September 20th, 2005, 05:04 PM
for any dog i would only ever reccomend uncooked thigh bones, they dont splinter and last forever.

my dog always loved them to bits as do all dogs i ahve ever met.

go to the butcher and ask for one, i used to apy about $1 a bone, but their huge, you could even asked to get it chopedi n half if your dogs are not huge.

uncooked things are the onyl safe bone i know of.

Lucky Rescue
September 20th, 2005, 08:02 PM
I give raw beef shanks, or marrow bones. They're very thick and won't break. Get them about 6 inches long, or ask the butcher to cut them.

After the dog eats all the meat and marrow, you can thoroughly wash the bone, then stuff it with something else!

uncooked things are the onyl safe bone i know of.

Right.

shannonRN
September 20th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Excellent--thanks for the pointers. I feel bad that I haven't been able to give my babies their favorite chewies :sad: