Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brick has giardia

Catt31
September 19th, 2005, 09:38 PM
You know......I should have gone with my gut back in April when this "vet" said to us "ohhh nooo don't get the giardia shot, it is just a money maker for the drug company & it isn't really a proven preventative anyways"!!!!!!! :mad: Well....NOW my baby boy has Giardia. I went to a different vet (Thanks Jane for the recommendation!) & he knew right away what it was!! I'm so mad and sad at the same time!!!

Brick had the "trots" last week for about 4 days - couldn't get him into the vet until today, but fed him lots of pumpkin, yogurt & rice and he had two solid poops on Sat. & 2 on Sun!!! Wheeeeeee!!! We were soooooo happy!

Anyways, just had to vent!! The vet said his trots should come back in a week or so again - arghhh!!! Anyone had experience with this?

Puppyluv
September 19th, 2005, 10:12 PM
None of our dogs have had it, but our belgian's "boyfriend" (dont worry, she was spayed, he was neutered) got giardia from the Bow River in Calgary. Also my best friend got Giardia from the North Saskatchewan. The main thing to know is that once you have it, you carry it for life, just it's dormant. You may not see any symptoms ever again, or they may come back a lot; just keep in mind that they can come back at any time

LNeilB
September 19th, 2005, 10:22 PM
One dog spread it to both Nigel & Sola. It's becoming a huge problem with dog owners! :sorry:

Catt31
September 19th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I wonder if that is where he got it from - he swims in the Bow on a regular basis!!! Will he be on meds forever now? Or do we just deal with the watery piles of surprise he leaves us every so often??? :eek:

Puppyluv
September 19th, 2005, 10:53 PM
I would say you could be 90% sure that it came from swimming in the Bow. That's how Dakota (the dog i mentioned) got it.
Usually you just treat the symptoms, so when an upcrop shows up, you treat.
Be careful though, because the giardia can infect other dogs through Brick's feces. And you can get it too (Giardia likes all species, and will happily go from Brick's poo to you)