Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten meows loudly before going pee or poop

digdog
September 19th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Hello all!

I just bought two birman kittens....10weeks old. They are both adorable. The female uses the litterbox faithfully. The male however uses it sometimes, and most times he starts meowing loudly and then runs to a corner, instead of the litterbox. If I can catch him right away and put him in the box he will pee or poop, if I dont he will go pee or poop in the corner. Anyone know why?
Kate

NICKY
September 19th, 2005, 08:03 PM
maybe he doesnt like sharing the litter? how often are you cleaning it? :)

Lucky Rescue
September 19th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Most kittens that age do cry loudly when they need the box. I have no idea why!

But if your kitten is not using the box, you should get him checked at the vet. Does he have normal stools, or diarrhea or constipation? Have both kittens been dewormed?

digdog
September 20th, 2005, 10:27 AM
hi all,

Thank you so much for all the replies. I phoned the breeder and told her what was going on. I asked her what kind of litter she had been using. I was using Nature's Miracle. She was using just a clay litter. I thought it's worth a try to change. I bought some last nite, changed out the litterboxes and lo and behold, both babies started using it right away. They both must have gone 4 times each within the first two hours. I feel like such a bad mom. I guess they didn't like the smell or feel of the other litter. I have my fingers crossed that they keep it up. To Towanda: I most definitley did not have them declawed and nor will I . I am like you....I don't believe in it. Thank you all again for your helpful responses. Kate