Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hot Spots

Ellen62
September 19th, 2005, 08:45 PM
We have two Goldens and the 11month male has had a hot spot under his neck. Now I believe he has them on his back leg at the joint. Is Gold Bond powder a good way to help with the drying of the spots? I still have some Surolan left from the one on his neck but if Gold Bond is something I should keep in the house I will..... Please let me know.... Thanks :thumbs up

jessi76
September 20th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I would just clean them often with some antibacterial soap & lukewarm water.

I'm not sure about Gold Bond powder, but I don't think ingestion of any medicated powders would be good - and you can be sure if your dog can get his head to the spot, he will lick it.

StaceyB
September 20th, 2005, 10:16 AM
I would suggest you find the cause to prevent getting them in the first. Ask your vet for an anti itch spray as these are very itchy can cause them to get worse and not heal.

yoda900_ca
September 20th, 2005, 03:46 PM
My breeder says it works great on hot spots and clears them up in a few days. I know that when my previous MAlamute developed one on the base of his tail the vet gave him basically the same thing with a fancy name and higher cost. We also increased his diet with a additive at certain times of the year to prevent it from happening. Was so many years ago i can't remember the name of it but check with your vet.

coppperbelle
September 20th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Yes you can use Gold Bond medicated powder on the hot spots. Make sure you trim the hair around the spot. The most important thing is to keep it dry. After you bathe it with mild soap and water, dry it and apply Gold Bond. It will ease the itching too and give your boy some relief.
You will have to try and find out the cause of hot spots. I have two goldens and since I started feeding them a better food hot spots are history and so are ear infections.
Keep an eye on the hot spots and if they appear to get worse you will need to see your vet for antibiotics.

Ellen62
October 2nd, 2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions, I tried the Gold Bond and it cleared the hot spot up in days. We are looking into changing his food to see if that makes a difference..... Thanks again, Ellen