Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Decrease depression?

Puppyluv
September 19th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Layla cut her foot on a broken bottle on the sidewalk this morning. It's not really deep, just big. (the bottom of an entire pad) Being the neurotic owner I am, I took her to the vet, where they cleaned it, put topical ointment on it, and wrapped it. Then sent me home with "change it, air it, it will be ok" I have no doubt that it will heal. But until then, how do I 1) make her not look so pitiful and depressed? SHe can't stand on the paw at all, and I just feel so bad for her. 2) Keep her entertained/exercised? She's used to getting a 12 km run a day, plus about 6 km walking and dog play time. She's a really active dog, and now she can only make it halfway down the block before sitting down and giving me her "please pick me up and carry me home" look.

jessi76
September 19th, 2005, 02:44 PM
oh no, poor Layla! glad to hear you got her looked at and all will be well... I don't know what Layla's likes/dislikes are, but if it were my pup w/ a hurt paw, I'd probably give him an irresistibable new bone to chew on (to keep him happy and give the paw some rest), and stimulate his mind (which sometimes is just as tiring as running/playing). Perhaps there are some new commands you could teach Layla, or some old ones you'd like to reinforce, despite the boo-boo.

hope Layla is feeling better soon!

Puppyluv
September 19th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! Coincidently I had just bought her a new nylabone, and forgot to take it out of the bag, so she's now occupying herself with that. I think when she's had some time with that, we'll work on some new paw-friendly commands. :)

Prin
September 19th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Beware of creating a faker (that's what I did...). I always felt that second-hand doggies deserve a bit more pampering when they aren't well... Ever notice how when you say, "Layla's such a poor, poor doggy," you get a very distinct reaction? They get even more pathetic... I love it.... Makes me feel useful. :o