Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

SPCA Monteregie Question

sjat24
September 19th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I am hoping to go there this Saturday (if I can get StepDad to give me a ride). I have been on the SPCA Monteregie web site looking for a young/puppy dog.

The question is do those pictures get updated daily? Are there more dogs there than on the web site itself?

Thank you
Shanna

poodletalk
September 19th, 2005, 01:59 PM
It's great that you want to go to SPCA Monteregie this Saturday. Yes, theirs 250 dogs. You have a wide selection of dogs.

sjat24
September 19th, 2005, 02:07 PM
WOW 250 dogs. Hmmm sounds like I am going to have difficult choices to make LOL. I cant wait..well I just hope dad can take me and hubby there.

Thanks Poodletalk.

LL1
September 19th, 2005, 05:43 PM
250 dogs?How long have they been there?Do they release to rescues?

coppperbelle
September 19th, 2005, 06:32 PM
250 dogs?How long have they been there?Do they release to rescues?

I am not sure.

In answer to your question about the web site I don't think it is updated daily so a dog that may show as available may have been adopted.

poodletalk
September 19th, 2005, 08:18 PM
No, the website does not get updated daily. It does get updated on regular basis. Do they release to rescue? You need to call the SPCA Monteregie, and speak with the Director.

susieqt
September 19th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Regarding the question of releasing to rescues, most of their pure-bred dogs do get adopted out fairly quickly, as well as the little mixed dogs. Is there any rescues out there for big mixed dogs? If so, I would imagine they would be happy to release some of them, especially if there were good foster homes.

LL1
September 19th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks,got the info I needed.

sjat24
September 21st, 2005, 10:06 PM
Does anyone work at this SPCA? If so what are the hours? I would like to go this Saturday. Thanks

jiorji
September 22nd, 2005, 12:22 AM
here's what i've wondered about animal shelters....

they post some of the animals, cats and dogs and small furries on petfinder.com and they come with background information, such as whether they do ok staying alone for a while, or if they know basic commands or if they are nice to cats. When you go to the animal shelters, do they have that information for each dog as well or are you supposed to take them and just figure it out??

coppperbelle
September 22nd, 2005, 06:24 AM
I believe their adoption hours are Thursday and Saturday from 2:00 - 4:00

poodletalk
September 22nd, 2005, 07:15 AM
Yes, the adoption days are Thursday-Saturday from 2:00-4:00. Do you need directions to get there?

sjat24
September 22nd, 2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the time. I have a map on how to get there.

Thx again
Shanna

Lucky Rescue
September 22nd, 2005, 09:18 AM
here's what i've wondered about animal shelters....

they post some of the animals, cats and dogs and small furries on petfinder.com and they come with background information, such as whether they do ok staying alone for a while, or if they know basic commands or if they are nice to cats. When you go to the animal shelters, do they have that information for each dog as well or are you supposed to take them and just figure it out??

A lot of info is known about dogs who are living in foster homes, since the fosters usually have other pets and/or kids and are able to evaluate the dog with them, see how much training it has/housetraining, etc.

In shelters, very little if anything is known about the dogs, since many are picked up as strays with no history. A little more may be known if the dog is turned in by the owner, but they are not always truthful.

Prin
September 22nd, 2005, 11:20 AM
Most of my experience with shelters is that they don't know squat. It's very hard for them to know anything because the dogs are so traumatized just being in there... (they're also not great judges of breed or of age)

poodletalk
September 22nd, 2005, 01:30 PM
With the SPCA Monteregie, since it's a no-kill SPCA, some dogs and cats stay with us for awhile until we find them quality homes. The Director and staff are able to work with the animals and tell what type of home is best suited for the animal. The SPCA Monteregie is out in the country, the dogs have huge areas where they can go and play, plus volunteers go up regularly to socialize with the animals.

The Director who's "hands on" with the animals, does the dog adoptions and tells people if the dogs are food protective; doesn't like cats etc. She guides the people to find the animal best suited for them.

I don't know how it's like at all shelters, I can only talk about this shelter and it's a quality shelter.

LL1
September 23rd, 2005, 08:30 AM
Is there really only six hours a week for adoptions???

BMDLuver
September 23rd, 2005, 08:38 AM
Is there really only six hours a week for adoptions???
Actually, it appears to be 4 hours per week. I do know that they also go to events around the area with dogs as well and those are normally all day affairs.

poodletalk
September 23rd, 2005, 09:23 AM
Yes, SPCA Monteregie do have several dog/cat adoptions days. Which is an all day thing. The shelter is open every day for people to come and see the animals. The adoptions hours are limited right now, due to the new shelter the Director is trying to build for the animals.

BMDLuver
September 23rd, 2005, 09:35 AM
That's good to know. I thought people could only go see on the specific times indicated. Is there an event coming up again soon? I still would like to meet some of the people I talk to on the phone in real life. :)

LL1
September 23rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
I've never heard of that,no wonder they have so many animals.
Actually, it appears to be 4 hours per week. I do know that they also go to events around the area with dogs as well and those are normally all day affairs.

poodletalk
September 23rd, 2005, 11:33 AM
LL1....I explained why the hours are limited. The reason there's so many animals is because of puppymills, people become allergic to their animal after 5 years of having them, new baby, new boyfriend/girlfriend, moving; people not wanting to spay or neuter their animals. The list goes on and on! If the animals weren't with the SPCA Monteregie, where would they be? Probably dead! Yes, the hours are limited, but this is not forever, just for now.

TobsterMom
September 23rd, 2005, 11:42 AM
I love the fact that it's no-kill. Too bad all shelters weren't like that. I love thier website, I visit it often. Too bad I don't live closer :(

LL1
September 23rd, 2005, 11:49 AM
I am glad the hours will soon change.

sjat24
September 23rd, 2005, 05:26 PM
How Long of a drive is it to SPCA Monteregie from Montreal? I just want to tell my dad how long of a drive it'll be.

Thanks.
Shanna

poodletalk
September 23rd, 2005, 06:00 PM
When you hit the Champlain bridge, it's a 30-45 minute drive. (Depends if you hit traffic or not.)

BellaMJ
September 24th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Reposting my question here too....
Hi!
I am looking for a labrador! Are there any at Monteregie under the age 1? If so what color are there?
I know I sound like being to selective, but its for my son (he is 29 by the way) and he got him self a house a few months ago. He had recently mention to me about getting him self a lab and would like a young one to adopt. His birthday is coming up (Big 30 lol) so are there any up at Monteregie? I would love to take a ride up there tomorrow but with GAS $ I dont want to waste my trip, I hope you understand.

Thank you kindly
Isabella

poodletalk
September 24th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Isabella,

The price of gas is very expensive, I would suggest do not go to the SPCA Monteregie unless your son is with you. Any reputable rescue or SPCA would NEVER adopt out an animal to anyone to give as a gift to someone else!

Did you go to the SPCA today? They usually dont care about your living situtation and dont know squat about dogs etc.

At the SPCA Monteregie, we care about our animals and the people's living situation.

BellaMJ
September 24th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Your right I should bring my son today. Well as for the SPCA not knowing swat..Your right purhaps Monteregie sound like a very reputable SPCA, especially being NO Kill. How ever the Montreal one....well as much as I hate to say..it seems like a pet store (go in and get what ever you want).

Sorry if I had offended you.

Isabella

poodletalk
September 24th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Isabella,

You have not offended me. These posts get read over and over again by people. I just want to make it clear to everyone who reads this post, animal should not be given as a gift. Not all SPCA's policy's are the same, when it comes to adopting out animals.

I hope one day, you and your son will go to the SPCA Monteregie together and find your faithful friend.

Golden Girls
September 29th, 2005, 07:05 PM
I really don't mean to be judgemental here, but five months ago when i checked you had 250 dogs, yet it is the same number. How many dogs actually get adopted out from your Shelter. Again, not to sound negative, but every time I visit your web page - it seems the same dogs have been there forever. Just wondering why so many older, carm dogs seem to be lifetime members. If, for example a rescue has a good potential adopter, would your shelter be willing to surrender the animal to that rescue at no cost just for the animal to get a chance at a new home?

I realize you do not have a computer - so am I to assume the web-site hans't been updated for a few years. There are dogs listed at 3 when I know for a fact they are between 6-1/2 - 7 years old. My concern is have they actually been caged there for over 4 years? And, if so - why not ask for help from rescues.

poodletalk
September 29th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Golden girls, SPCA Monteregie website does get updated on regular basis. Our animals are NOT "caged" 24-7. They are outside reguarly, they have volunteers going regularly walking and socializing with the dogs. How come our the number 250 dogs never get changed? We can adopt out 10 dogs aday and 20 can come in. As for the rescue, why don't you call and speak to the Director?

susieqt
September 29th, 2005, 09:43 PM
As I posted previously, little dogs and purebreds get adopted out fairly quickly. They have had 5 Golden Retrievers adopted out in the last few months! Again, dogs that tend to stay longer are the larger, mixed breeds, all cute and loveable but as you all know, not always the first to go. If any rescues out there would like to help out with these dogs, contact them and see if they would like help placing these dogs.

p.s. There are two Mastiffs for adoption, if anyone is looking for one!
One may have already been adopted, though.