Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Diabetic and won't eat prescription food.

Dexter's Mom
September 19th, 2005, 07:46 AM
:pawprint: Hi, I have a miniature pom and he has MANY health issues. My biggest concern right now is getting him back on his regular diet or a diet that is going to increase his energy and not raise his blood glucose.
HISTORY: He had been coughing (dry hacking) and then he went into respiratory distress. I took him to the vet and they said he was going into CHF. They gave him 3 shots (lasix, bronchodialator, & mild steroid). He was started on lasix pills and bronchodialotor and he was already on Enalapril for his heart. His breath sounds cleared but it was still rapid. I took him back the next day and they gave him another shot of the bronchodilator and increased his lasix dose to three times a day vs 2. His breathing continued to be rapid, so I stopped giving him the bronchodilator pill (the vet said to take as needed) and because I knew that increased respirations is a side effect. His breathing has since slowed. With him being so ill, we were giving him baked chicken (not enough of the vitamins or minerals needed) and/or Hills brothers A/D (too much carbs) just to get him to eat something. His blood glucose got out of control. I am trying to get a handle on it, but he refuses to eat his normal prescription diet W/D food. (Between you and me, I think he may have gotten spoiled). He will eat, he is just being picky! Any suggestions???? I am fighting a losing battle with his blood glucose until I can get him on a normal diet. :fingerscr I have attached a pic of my baby (not feeling so good), but snoozing!!!

Prin
September 19th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Just when I thought I wouldn't find anything that would help, I did!! Go here: Food for diabetic pets (http://www.petdiabetes.com/recipes.html)
It's a list of all the appropriate dog foods for diabetic doggies. Maybe try a different one. Good luck! :fingerscr :)

(By the way, it's really amazing how much you care for this doggy. :grouphug: )

Dexter's Mom
September 19th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Thank you for your reply. I got him to eat 9 pcs of his W/D food this morning :thumbs up . I went today and bought the canned W/D and he turned his nose up at it. He tried to eat some and he acted like it was too messy for him. He is a neat freak (after he eats anything, he goes to his blanket and rubs his face in it for about 5 minutes). I will try some of the recipes. I am happy to see that there are others in the world that care for their pets as much as I do. I have been so upset lately, just thinking of him passing away. The people at work do not understand, they say I spend much to much money and time on him. Their option is putting him down (and some even suggested a 22). How incensitive can you get??? Worst part about it, is they are nurses! Go figure - guess maybe you are just supposed to have a heart for people and not pets. Well my pet is my baby and I will do what I have to do to make him comfortable. He is 13 and has Epilepsy, Diabetes, CHF (murmur first), allergies, & Respiratory distress at times. It has been a long battle, but I wouldn't trade a minute.

justncase
September 19th, 2005, 03:33 PM
When you say " His blood glucose got out of control. I am trying to get a handle on it, but he refuses to eat his normal prescription diet W/D food. " perhaps the diet supports his system in ways that a variety of foods for diabetic pets may not, and how could one find out which, out of the variety, would consistently lower his blood glucose in the way that is needed? Some foods will keep blood glucose at a normal level, some will just not trigger a rise in blood glucose, but what food would lower blood glucose. It could end up being hit or miss. That's why there's the prescription diet. Have you ever thought of considering a holistic approach for your dog? Much of what you have described has, with holistic medicine, been not only controlled, but reversed. www.ahvma.org/referral/index.html

Prin
September 19th, 2005, 04:27 PM
I am happy to see that there are others in the world that care for their pets as much as I do. I have been so upset lately, just thinking of him passing away. The people at work do not understand, they say I spend much to much money and time on him. Their option is putting him down (and some even suggested a 22). How incensitive can you get??? Worst part about it, is they are nurses! Go figure - guess maybe you are just supposed to have a heart for people and not pets. Well my pet is my baby and I will do what I have to do to make him comfortable. He is 13 and has Epilepsy, Diabetes, CHF (murmur first), allergies, & Respiratory distress at times. It has been a long battle, but I wouldn't trade a minute.
Yes, that's what I love about this site. People who are as "nuts" as us in the real world have a place to be normal. :D I'll say it again- you are amazing for caring for this troubled doggy. He is so lucky to have you. :grouphug: :angel:

Roxy's_MA
September 19th, 2005, 04:36 PM
My Family had a diabetic dog. She would not eat her perscription food at all. The vet gave us some sort of gravy to put on it, and she started mowing down. I would ask your vet about it. Next time I see my Dad, I will ask him exactly what the product is. I can tell you Tessie's Diabetes was pretty advanced, as Dad was giving her 2 shots of insulin a day.

Dexter's Mom
September 19th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Before he got ill this time, I was staying on top of it and keeping it as close to normal as possilbe with 2 shots a day. Now he has rises without even eating anything and the only new med that he is getting that he was not receiving before is Lasix. I went to the Holistic website and I would be willing to try anything, but when I searched, unfortunately there are none in Mississippi (we are always soooo behind the times).

justncase
September 20th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Below is a site listing veterinary clinics in Jackson, MS( don't know if that's where you are located) . There is one called Healing Arts Veterinary Clinic that may be holistically-inclined. There may be others, but it would be a matter of going through the list.

animal-hospitals.abeautifulurn.com/jacksonpethospitals.html

Allergies, diabetes, and epilepsy can be controlled through diet and/or acupuncture(www.ivas.org) . As for heart failure, one dog was given only weeks to live. Through the use Vitamin E, hawthorne extract, Coenzyme Q10 as well as acupuncture , the dog recovered. Because your dog has various other health problems besides this , it would be advisable to work with a vet who can adapt the therapy according to the specific needs of your dog.

Dexter's Mom
September 21st, 2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks to all for all the good info. Update: He seems to be doing a lot better today. I put him on a vitamin and it has increased his appetite. He is still sleeping a lot, but then again he was doing that before he got sick. LOL