Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

In shock! Friend's cat is prego!

puppy4ever
September 18th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Just needed to bounce something off you all. I recently found out that one of my friend's cats is pregnant and I'm really furious...actually to the point of breaking off contact with the friend. Although I don't know the details, I've recently heard that the Humane Society has just had to kill a lot of cats in Calgary. Does anyone know about this? I thought my friend cared about animals as she wanted to be a vet at one time and yet she didn't get her cat spayed. :(

I'm a pretty emotional person and this probably explains why I have an emotional puppy! :crazy: Good thing my husband is not as emotional or we'd have cujo on our hands. Anyway, am I being too emotional about this do you think? I just see this as a blatant disregard for life (won't go into details but this isn't the first time something like this has happened)....especially considering the cat overpopulation in this city. Would you confront this person if you were me? Is it really none of my business?
This has really been bothering me recently and I'm grateful that I can share here. All feedback is welcome. Thanks!!

Lucky Rescue
September 18th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Cats are killed in huge numbers in every shelter, and that's not counting the countless numbers who die on the streets. All this is because of people like your friend, who refuse to be responsible for the animals they have brought into their homes.

So no - I don't think you're overreacting! It's hard to maintain a friendship with someone whose values are so blatantly different than yours.

Your friend is probably thinking "Oh it's just one litter!" but unless she tries to mitigate her irresponsibility by spaying and neutering each kitten herself, her one litter could turn into a population explosion, with many more cats suffering and dying.

She might be interested in this fact:

Two uncontrolled breeding cats create two litters per year at a survival rate of 2.8 kittens per litter. With continued breeding, they create:
Year 1 = 12 cats
Year 2 = 66 cats
Year 3 = 2,201 cats
Year 4 = 3,822 cats
Year 5 = 12,680 cats
Year 10 = 80,399,780 cats

Prin
September 18th, 2005, 10:05 PM
I agree with Lucky (aw, now I have to call you Deb? It's gonna be hard to get used to...) I would have reacted like you did. Lucky she changed her mind about being a vet.. They can't teach compassion.

Lucky Rescue
September 19th, 2005, 08:49 AM
aw, now I have to call you Deb?
Nah, don't call me Deb. It's not my name anyway.:p

As for vets, they are doctors and many of them dont' know even know what a backyard breeder is and see nothing wrong with people breeding for all the wrong reasons.

Beetlecat
September 19th, 2005, 09:51 AM
It's always possible for people with differing opinions and value to be friends. I suppose it all depends on how important this friendships is to you. If it is, then it's worth calling up the friend (after you have cooled down enough so you can talk using logic rather than emotion), and asking (non confrontaionally) her side of the story. Then decide if you can work it out.

I would regret breaking off a friendship suddenly on one issue without talking about it first to insure my concerns were substantiated.

I am friends with a woman whose idea or raising her dogs and cats is substantially different from mine (frankly I've found that many of my friends with lots of pets raise them 'wrongly') but I'm willing to accept it as part of them since they give me so much more through our friendship.

jessi76
September 19th, 2005, 10:50 AM
If a litter is now inevitable and she is truley a friend...instead of breaking off the friendship, why not try to help as much as possible? You could take her to the local shelters to show her the overpopulation (sometimes people just don't believe it until they see it), you could help her find loving homes for the kittens, you could even help her find low-cost spaying options. You'd be doing more good by educating your friend, helping her deal with the problem responsibly, and preventing it from happening again in the future.

Hopefully in the end, you will have helped a cat, a litter of kittens, and gotten a smarter friend.

dogznfish
September 19th, 2005, 11:09 AM
The Calgary Humane Society has a serious outbreak of Feline distemper and had to freeze all cat adoptions or admittance. This information has been posted on their website for a couple weeks now. There is a list of atricles that they would be happy to receive as donations to help combat this outbreak also.

Prin
September 19th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Nah, don't call me Deb. It's not my name anyway.:p
So what do we call you then? Lucky?

sorry for the hijack.

The way I see it, if you want a deep relationship, you ask about animals. If you want to keep the relationship shallow and easy, never ask.