Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello Im Christine With Cat Touble

imkrys
September 18th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Hello, I Am Christine. Married 14 Years With 3 Girls And 1 Son. We Also Have 2 Dogs Named Lucky And Max. Lucky Is A Shepard Mix And Max Is A Black Lab. We Have 1 Black Cat Makita, A Yellow Canary Named Lola, And A Box Turtle Named Skippy. Yes We Have A Full House But We Seem To Do O.k. Now I Have A Problem:

Q: How To Stop Our Dog Lucky From Killing Cats That Come In The Yard?
Q: What If He Is Eating The Cats?
Q: How Do I Clean The Yard From These Cats Everywhere?
Q: What Can I Do To Stop Cats From Jumping Over The Brick Wall?
Lucky Was Adopted From The Shelter 3 Years Ago. He Never Seem To Like Cats But Never Bothered Them Before. Lucky Knows How To Climb A Chain Link Fence Like An Army Crawl. He Is Too Smart. We Blocked That Off But The Cats Jump Over The Brick Wall. He Will Only Bark When He See's Cats And Now When A Cat Comes Into Our Yard In The Night They Seem To Stay...dead That Is. We Love Our Dog And He's Great With Kids. The New Cat Diet Doesn't Sit Well In My Heart. Lucky Belongs To Our Oldest Daughter Who Wants To Become A Vet. He Tears Them Apart And Our Other Dog Seems To Be Confused. Max, The Lab Is A Puppy Still And He Likes To Play With Cats Not Eating Them. He Will Not Bark At Other Cats But Watching Lucky May Give Him The Wrong Ideal. Please If Anyone Could Suggest A Few Things It Will Help. I Think I Am In Shock I Can't Think Of Anything Right Now. I Just Want To Clean Up My Back Yard And Don't Even Know If He Has Any Cats Hidden Somewhere In The Back. Yuk!!!!

BoonyB
September 18th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Maybe im not understanding this right. Do you have a cat? why does the dog not kill that cat? :confused:

imkrys
September 18th, 2005, 11:20 PM
They Are Usually Seperated. Our Cat Knows To Stay Away From The Back Yard. Makita Will Hang Out In Our Front Yard Or In The House, But Never Goes To The Back. Any Other Cat Who Comes Over Has No Clue What May Happen. This Is Scary.

BoonyB
September 19th, 2005, 07:51 AM
So is the dog always outside?

susieqt
September 19th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Tie him up when he is outside!! This is the only way he can't chase the cats. No cat is on a suicide mission so they won't go up to him.

Prin
September 19th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Why aren't you watching him while he is outside? People in your neighborhood would probably be very distressed if they knew your dog was killing their cats. You HAVE to do something about this. You can't allow your dog to sit outside alone killing everything. It is YOUR responsibility to keep him entertained. If he is bored and is killing other people's pets for fun, I don't think I would respect you very much for sitting by and watching it happen. It's your responsibility. :mad:

I can't imagine your daughter wanting to be a vet and just watching without doing anything. It's really disgusting if you ask me. Have you no regard for living creatures? :mad:

imkrys
September 21st, 2005, 06:19 AM
:mad: PRIN: CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, IS THIS A WEBSITE FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE THEIR PETS AND SHARE INFORMATION WITH EACH OTHER THAT COULD HELP OTHER PET LOVERS??? I DIDN'T THINK THIS WAS FOR PEOPLE TO BE SO RUDE AND TRY TO KICK YOU IN THE FACE WHEN YOUR DOWN. I WAS SEEKING HELP FROM SOMEONE WHO LOVES THEIR PETS WHO COULD OFFER SUGGESTIONS, OR MAYBE SOME HAS EXPERIENCED A SITUATION LIKE THIS BEFORE. IN THE PAST 14 MOS. HE HAS KILLED 3 STRAY CATS NOT SOMEONES PET. I DO NOT SIT AROUND WAITING FOR SOMEONES PET TO ENTER MY YARD FOR SOME BLOODY ENTERTAINMENT JUST FOR FUN!!!! TO MAKE REMARKS LIKE THAT YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOUR SELF ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW ME!!!!!
:thumbs up SUSIEQT: AS FOR SUGGESTING TO TIE UP THE DOG, THANK YOU FOR YOUR KINDNESS. WE DID TRY IT. THAT WAS UNTIL SOME GUY WAS CAUGHT BREAKING INTO MY 12YR OLD DAUGHTERS BEDROOM WINDOW ONE NIGHT. THANK GOD LUCKY WAS SMART ENOUGH TO PULL HIS HEAD OUT OF HIS COLLAR AND PROTECTED MY DAUGHTER LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES. WHEN LUCKY HELD ON TO THIS GUY TILL THE COPS CAME WE NEVER TRIED TO TIE HIM UP AGAIN. I OWE MY LIFE TO THIS DOG FOR SAVING MY BABY GIRL. I WILL NOT TAKE LUCKY TO THE SHELTER WHEN HE ISN'T A BAD DOG. PROTECTING HIS GROUND AND WATCHING OVER MY DAUGHTER WHO HE LOVES IS WHAT HE DOES. I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S WHY WHEN WE FOUND THAT CATS THEY WERE LEFT BY HER WINDOW LIKE A GIFT FOR HER?
WE ADOPTED LUCKY THE DAY BEFORE HE WAS TO BE PUT TO SLEEP SINCE HE WAS HIT BY A CAR AND HIS OWNER DIDN'T WANT HIM. WE'VE SPENT OVER $2000.00 FOR HIS TREATMENT SO FAR NOT INCLUDING HIS SPECIAL DIET FOR LOW THYROID. THIS DOG IS MY DAUGHTER'S BABY. THAT'S WHY MY KIDS CALL ME GRANDMA AND LUCKY AS WELL AS MAX, MAKITA, LOLA AND SKIPPY ARE KNOWN AS MY GRANDCHILDREN. :crazy:
I'VE SEEN SOME PEOPLE WITH MILK CONTAINERS IN THEIR YARD BEFORE. WHAT WOULD THEY USE IN IT? SOMETIMES THEY WOULD HAVE A FOOD COLORING ADDED IN THE CONTAINER DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 21st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Could you let the cat owners in the neighbour know of this issue with your dog, maybe together you could work out a solution. Like let your dog out between certain times and maybe they can keep their cats in then. I think it is partially your responsiblility to make sure cats dont get in your yard. But also as discussed here before in the forum cat owners are putting them at risk by letting them wander free. They are also being irresponsible by not keeping them inside.

Also I would check out cat fencing on the internet.

TobsterMom
September 21st, 2005, 10:55 AM
I agree. Your dog is in YOUR yard, in YOUR fence, if people do own these cats, THEY are being irrisponsible for letting them wander around free. I really hate the double standard involved with cats and dogs.

I do also agree with you that you need to do something about your dog killing cats, it's probably not all together his fault, sounds like a high prey drive. I really am clueless as to what to tell you to do, maybe there is something you could put around the wall that would deter them.

imkrys
September 22nd, 2005, 05:18 AM
CAT FENCING? I'VE GOT TO CHECK THAT OUT, THANK YOU. :fingerscr I KNOW THESE CATS WERE ALL STRAYS. THE 7 PEOPLE ON THE BLOCK HAVE INDOOR CATS ONLY AND THEY NEVER COME OUT SINCE EVERY HOUSE HAS 1-3 DOGS. OUR DOGS GET ALONG FINE. I FEEL BAD ABOUT ANY HOMELESS ANIMAL. I CAN'T EVEN WATCH A STARVING HORSE, ABUSED DOG, ETC...WHEN MY KIDS ARE WATCHING THE ANIMAL PLANET/COPS, IT BREAKS MY HEART. GEE IF WE COULD LIVE IN A BUBBLE THAT WOULD BE NICE. WHAT DO CATS HATE OR COULD CHANGE IT'S MIND TO KEEP THEM AWAY? I MEAN LIKE A SCARECROW TO KEEP BIRDS OUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? A STUFFED ANIMAL? WE HAVE A CAT BUT I NEVER HAD ONE OR RESEARCHED DEEPLY INTO CATS. I GREW UP WITH DOGS. THIS IS THE FIRST DOG I'VE KNOWN TO KILL A CAT IN OUR YARD. EVER SINCE THE WALMART DOWN THE STREET WAS BUILT, CATS CAME OUT OF THE WOODWORK, ALL STRAYS. THEY COULD HAVE BEEN SOMEONE'S PET BUT WALMART BOUGHT OUT ABOUT 20-30 HOUSES THAT WERE CLOSE TO THE FREEWAY. THAT'S WHEN THE TROUBLE STARTED. I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN KIND AND OFFER SUGGESTIONS. I WILL FIND OUT SOONER OR LATER WHAT WILL WORK OR HELP AND WHEN I DO I WILL POST IT FOR EVERYONE SHOULD SOMEONE HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THIS AWFUL FEELING WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I'D NEVER WISH THIS ON ANYONE THAT'S FOR SURE. :pawprint:

chico2
September 22nd, 2005, 09:19 AM
I think you give the wrong impression using capital letters..I honestly at first thought you were a Troll :D Your situation seemed too incredible and horrific.
Most cats could probably outrun,or outclimb a dog...these unfortunate ones obviously not.
Whether they are stray cats or someones pets,really makes no difference,a cat is a cat and does not deserve such a fate :sad:
I am sorry I have no solution for you,it's virtually impossible to try to keep strange cats out of your yard.
My own cats are never left to roam and if I see a cat in my yard(which makes mine go hairy!)I just go outside and shoo them away,usually after a few attempts they give up on my yard.
No mothballs,sprays or anything will keep them out...the aggression in your dog(called prey-drive)I guess is normal,but I would still worry if he tears a cat apart or anything else coming into his yard.

Prin
September 23rd, 2005, 04:09 PM
I don't understand why all of your questions are about the cats. You can't control the cats. You can, however, control your dog (i.e. by not leaving him outside alone). Why not work on that instead of figuring out how to keep your yard wild-life free?

chico2
September 23rd, 2005, 04:18 PM
Good point,Prin :highfive:

Roxy's_MA
September 23rd, 2005, 04:53 PM
This may be a start, the link below is a Safe-natural cat repellent that you sprinkle on your landscape. I haven't heard of anyone using it, but it might be worth looking into.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/cat/cat-repellent.php

love my dogs
September 23rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
I know someone asked you how much time your dog spends outside, but I did not see your answer.

It sounds like your dog lives outside, if that is the case, then that could very well be what is causing the aggression to begin with.

Dogs that spend a lot of time alone in a yard will very likely be more aggresive than a dog that spends a lot of time with it's family.

You also said that this usually happens at night, so you should probably just keep lucky inside overnight.