Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Signs of thyroid disorder?

yoda900_ca
September 18th, 2005, 07:57 PM
When i brought my now 13wk Alaskan malamute puppy home 5weeks ago i first noticed him nibbling at his feet alot. My last mal did this to i know they kinda like to play with thier feet and sometimes groom themselves alittle like a cat. Two weeks 3 weeks ago i noticed some dry skin i pointed it out to the vet as well as his upgraded itching he felt it was just that dry skin. His apatite is spotty some days he wants to eat no stop others he barely touches his food. I also notice since then he temperament has become more and more unpredictable. Somedays he's great then today he attacked me as we were doing our training sits. I told him to sit he didn't I gave him a correction and went to put his bum down and he full on went after me. he ripped open my right hand and forearm pretty good. mind you he was full on leaping at me. I had to step on the leash near his neck to make him stay down till he mellowed out. He does have some aggressive tendenies usually with my son never really with me. I'm taking him to the vet tomarrow but want to get some ideas if this could be a tyroid problem. My mother had a disorder and had dry itch skin and was mood as all get up so is it the same in dogs?

coppperbelle
September 18th, 2005, 08:13 PM
My 5 year old golden has just been diagnosed with a thyroid problem. She has shown some aggression recently which is slightly out of character. She did have some other signs as well such as anxiety, compulsive disorders and weight loss.
From what I have read most dogs are older when they are diagnosed. Your pup is very young. A blood test will tell for sure if he has it but in the mean time I would look into what you are feeding him and get him enrolled in an obedience class if you have not already done so. I would also suggest you consult a behavioralist.
The food could be causing the dry skin.

yoda900_ca
September 18th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks; I'll discuss with the vet monday about his food. He just started obdience class sat. He is diffinatley not happy with being told what to do and this is consistant with his personality. We made the mistake of when he first came home of lavishing way to much attention on him and he currently likes to think he's my son's boss and my equal so we are working on a chaning of the guard however he has never acted out of control like this. He is currently eating Purina pro plan and am open to suggestions of a non-allergic type food. I question the tyroid only because it tends to run in malamutes although the breeder has had none in her lines to date.

coppperbelle
September 18th, 2005, 08:42 PM
I would definitely change his food to something better. Purina foods have poor quality ingredients. This will help with his skin and maybe his personality too.
I have been reading a lot about dog food and last January switched my dogs to Solid Gold. I found a supplier and buy the food at a reduced cost which is great. The supplier has been selling this food for 20 years. He was a breeder of Akita's, (now only has them as pets) and told me that he found that when he switched to Solid Gold the dogs personality changed for the better. He said they became less crabby, probably because they felt better.
It sounds like your little boy has a big personality and needs to learn who is boss.

yoda900_ca
September 20th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Update on goku. During the night sunday he started vomiting and having diareah, having already planed on taking him to the vet mon i got in first thing. Turns out he has coccidia, a parasite that can cause serious harm to puppies. apparently he has it very bad and the vet was suprised he didn't start w/ the trots sooner. This can also make him VERY irratable which may explain his mood swings and he said can cause them to itch sometimes. He said to give it a m week and if his personality doesn't improve he wants to try switching his food when he this the dog is back to full strenght. (the vet also noticed the personality change in the dog since he now started growling and trying to bite him) Both my trainer and breeder agree with the vet so :fingerscr that he improve soon will keep updated