Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please tell me she isn't dying......

Stephanie Ann
September 18th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I have four dogs. The oldest seems to be having big problems lately. She is 12 years old and a Sheltie. She seemed to be doing alright until a few days ago. My parents went out-of-town for the weekend and I watched her by myself. (I live with my parents and my dogs and knew she was okay prior to Saturday.) She hasn't been eating much for a couple weeks or so, but I didn't think much of it, she's a small dog (16 lbs at last vet check-up). But Saturday night she threw up everywhere. I was all over the house, cleaning it and frantically calling my parents telling them I was very worried. She seemed very lethargic and looked very ill (and very sad, too). I comforted her as best I could and gave her some water so she wouldn't be dehydrated.

Sunday. I wake up in a VERY stinky room. Luckily my parents are only a half-hour away from home - they need to help me take the heavy steam carpet cleaner up the stairs to my room to clean up the several piles of diarrhea-like dark dog poo, at least one dog pee, and what might have either been a dog pee or a dog puke. She ate a little breakfast and a little dinner, but not much. There have been no puking incidents or accidents to my knowledge yet today.

She is acting fairly normally, just not active or bouncy but just lying around. She won't bark out of the window at passing strangers which is very unusual. She seems to be breathing heavily.

I am very worried - I would like to know what is wrong with her, obviously! I could take her to the vet tomorrow but I'd like to have some idea to be prepared first.

justncase
September 18th, 2005, 07:13 PM
If " she hasn't been eating much for a couple of weeks" then the beginning of what you are seeing now, started then. It was then that there should have been a vet visit. To wait until tomorrow with a dog that is vomiting and has diarrhea is taking a chance. There is fluid loss at both ends and dehydration can set in very quickly endangering the life of your dog, on top of what the problem is. When there is a problem and it's not corrected then that problem compounds into several and they may be less easily corrected. If you are going to wait until tomorrow to see a vet ( which is not advisable) then make sure your dog has broths( no salt- chicken or beef, skim off the fat and cool) to make up the fluid loss rather than food that is just going to be lost to vomiting and diarrhea.

Byrd
September 18th, 2005, 07:31 PM
When my dog had very bad diarrhea just after her spay the vet said to boil chicken (or beef) and mix it with rice. Make sure that the meat is boiled so that there is no fat. Give only a tablespoon every half hour or so.

Also, mix a litre of water, a pinch of salt, and a tbsp of sugar (puppy pediolyte). Make sure she drinks it, it will help hold fluids in. Your worse enemy is dehydration.

coppperbelle
September 18th, 2005, 07:49 PM
The diarrhea and vomiting can be nothing or associated with her loss of appetite in the last few weeks. Even if the the vomiting and diarrhea have stopped I would suggest a visit to the vet to make sure there is nothing more serious going on.
I would not feed her tonight. Give her stomach some rest. Make sure she has water and if you have some beef broth available give her a bit of this. It will help hydrate her.
If she is okay overnight tomorrow morning boil a bit of rice and hamburger or chicken and give her a bit of this. If this stays down then you can try to give her a bit of her food tomorrow night.
Again I would strongly suggest you contact your vet tomorrow.

Prin
September 18th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Definitely, she needs a vet. I was always taught that diarrhea and vomitting is a vet emergency... The sooner you get to a vet, the sooner you find out what is wrong.

Okami
September 19th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Is your dog spayed?
My dog went through simaliar symptoms (vomiting, diarrehea, lack of energy) before we found out she had an infection in her uterus. Basically the uterus fills up with puss. I would get this checked out immediatly because it can be fatal. The uterus can rupture and the surrounding organs can be infected. If you can't get to the vet immediatly give your dogs lots of water if she's vomiting alot, because vomiting dehydrates your dog.

Stephanie Ann
September 19th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Well she is doing well today, won't eat though and I won't force her. I would very much like to take her to the vet but my parents won't allow it. :mad: I will talk it over with them tonight.

Puppyluv
September 19th, 2005, 04:29 PM
may i ask how old you are?
why won't your parents allow a vet visit?

Prin
September 19th, 2005, 04:32 PM
20. it's in her profile.

Puppyluv
September 19th, 2005, 04:37 PM
thanks prin :)

In that case, how can your parents just tell you no? you should easily be able to take the dog to the vet without them.

Prin
September 19th, 2005, 04:38 PM
My first time to the vet without my parents was when I was 16... As soon as I could drive, they became my responsibility. :)

coppperbelle
September 19th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Maybe it is financial.