Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick

raingirl
September 18th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Grrr. I'm sick. And it's the weirdest cold I have ever had.

Usually, with a head cold, I start getting sick on day, then I have one or 2 "bad days" then it get much better the next day.

Well, so far, I have been sick for 5 days, and it's been 5 bad days of sneezing, and ear stuffiness and sore throat, all on the left side. I don't think I knew I was getting sick, because over a week ago, my left ear started to feel blocked, and my glands were swollen and my neck hurt. I thought it was because I joined a choir, and because I hadn't sung in a while, it was from that. Then I got all sniffly, and my eyes were puffy, so I thought it was allergies. I took an allergy pill, and it didn't help.

THen the full blown cold hit me. I took Sudafed nasel decongestant, and it didn't dry out my nose like it usually does. My throat is sore, but not in a sore throat way, but just irritated from all the sneezing and nose blowing.

So...what do you think? maybe not a cold? I don't know! A cold would be better by now and it doesn't feel like allergies. I'm so debating going to a doc... It could be a sinus infection requiring antibiotics though right?

SnowDancer
September 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM
A gross sounding question - but one my doctor asked me when I had same problem. When you blow your nose is the output "greenish" in colour. If so, it is likely a sinus infection and will require antibiotics that you will take for about a week. The antibiotic I had to take a couple of years ago does not kick in until about the 6th day of use. I am happy that I do now know to check for greenish output since I have bad allergies can't take cold or allergy medications. Had to use the sinus stuff though - had a slight reaction - but had to be done.

badger
September 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Salt water - gargle with it and draw it through your nostrils so it bathes the back of your throat (you may splutter but you can't choke). I swear it works. Forget antibiotics, for now. Salt water as often as you can. And don't eat too much sugar, it favours whatever bacteria is ailing you.

raingirl
September 18th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Nope. It's clear (which I actually was thinking about mentioning, which leads me to beleive it's not a sinus infection).

I can't do the saltwater thing. Makes me puke/gag if it even touches my mouth. I bought a saline spray for my nose though. I have to spray every 5 to 15 minutes though to moisturize, as it starts hurting that often. I probably should have bought more than one bottle!

I asked the pharmacist, and I showed her what I took. She suggested another type of sinus decongestant (I was using a non-drowsy one, so she suggested using a night time formula that has a different drug in it). I tried it about an hour ago, and don't see much of a diff yet.

Prin
September 18th, 2005, 02:25 PM
I like Contac Cold and Flu. I LOVE IT but apparently if you have breathing trouble you shouldn't take it (although my man with asthma refuses to take anything else too...).

I love those "teaser colds"... Am I sick? No. Yes? No. Maybe. :D Feel better soon. :)

Cinnabear
September 18th, 2005, 05:01 PM
All I know is that alot of my coworkers are sick already and it is only September. Not a good sign for winter this year. Get well Vibes for ya.

raingirl
September 18th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Yeah. This is a natsy late summer/early fall cold. I got a generic brand copy of Contac from Walmart. Had the same ingredients and dosages. Didn't seem to do didly squat.

I haven't slept well in more than a week...I don't want to go to work tomorrow but I have to....

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 18th, 2005, 07:31 PM
It sound like you have strep throat especially if its all on one side,also do you notice a lump when you look inside your mouth. I had it this past fall and was miserable. Go to the doctor and he/she will give you some antibiotics and it will clear up within 2 days.

doggy lover
September 18th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I've been going through the same thing for a week now. Started last Sun, hot cold feeling, scratchie throat, runny nose, caughing, head ache and a little of a stiff neck. It is the weardest cold I've ever had, I was to go to the cottage this weekend and I passed. I was starting to think of West Nile virus. The last two days I have felt a little better so I never went to the doc. I try not to take drugs, most have bad effects on me over the last few years, so I just took some tylonal cold and flu at night, I shall survive.

raingirl
September 19th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Not strep throat. I had that before. My throat is barely sore, just a little. It's more sore because it's dry from breathing through my mouth all the time.

I feel a little better today.

Prin
September 19th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I feel a little better today.
Don't jinx it... ;)

doggy lover
September 19th, 2005, 07:52 PM
I went back to work today, I've been off since they sent me home on Wed. I'm still not a 100% but getting there, it just takes time. I still feel achie, then one of the girls hit me in the back with the fridge door, just made my day. Left a nice mark on my back too, talk about hit you when your down. Just take it easy you'll feel better soon.

love my dogs
September 19th, 2005, 08:07 PM
well, something is definately going around in my neck of the woods too. I feel like CRAP!!!

Same thing as you with the dry itchy throat. I'm not stuffy now, but I was for 2 days...blowing my nose every five minutes or so.

I'm taking dayquil, nyquil, tylenol, echinachia, and throat lozenges!

Echinacia usually does the trick, but not this time.

Prin
September 19th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Aww! Get better you guys!!! :fingerscr :grouphug:

Oh, and don't go blowing any of it my way... :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 20th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I feel like I am getting something too, there is probably germ galore on the headsets at work as I never sit at the same station. I usually just drink lots of ginger ale as soon as I feel a cold coming on. Probaly doesnt help but its soothing on my throat anyways