Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New harness

BullLover
September 17th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Yippee!

I got Brutus his pulling harness today! He loves it, so maybe I won't need to take a week getting him used to it. Hopefully we won't scare too many people out walking with a big harness on.

love my dogs
September 18th, 2005, 05:21 PM
congrats bullLover. Has he tried pulling anything yet, or just wearing theharness. What will he be pulling?

Maybe Duke could try it out to see if that would work for us too.

BullLover
September 18th, 2005, 09:43 PM
You have to make sure to wait until Duke is at least 18 months old. He's gotta be full grown. We're not pulling until next week or so. We'll start by dragging a milk jug with rocks or something heavy in it. I've got to teach him the commands first. He has to learn the difference between a walk and a work walk. I'm hoping to have him near ready to pull a few hundred pounds by the winter so he can pull my niece and nephews around in a sled. It's going to be a long process. I don't want to work him too hard.

babyrocky1
September 21st, 2005, 07:26 PM
Whats the scoop on the harness Bull Lover, where do you get one, how much does it cost and how do you train your dog to use it??????????

BullLover
September 22nd, 2005, 08:06 PM
Well I got the harness at a store called the Big Bag. It's a local store. It was only about $45. Brutus loves it, but I have had him in a harness since he was a baby. We walk with it and I tell him to pull. Then halt. Then pull. Then halt etc. I am starting to have him pull as soon as this rain starts. I'm going to put a jug with ice or rocks in it, so it has weight, but it's not too heavy....After a week, I'll put something heavier, and the weeks to follow do the same. When I've run out of things around the house, I'm going to have to get a sledor a cart or something to add weight on. Gradually increasing each week. Walking and telling him to pull for 20 feet or so and then resting for a bit. It will be sooooo much fun for him.

babyrocky1
September 22nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks Bull Lover, I have been thinking of buying Brandon a wagon for Christmas anyway so maybe now hell have a bully powered one :)

StaceyB
September 22nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
I just thought I would add, never have your dog pull anything with a regular walking harness on. You need one that is designed for pulling a load as was mentioned here and even then watch the weight that a dog of its size is safely capable of pulling. The dog must also be completely finished growing, never use on dogs under the age of 18 months. Even then depending on the breed 18 months may be too soon and don't do this with breeds that are prone to hip and knee problems.

BullLover
September 22nd, 2005, 08:41 PM
Also, you should get a vet check just to make sure it's okay to pull. Brutus and I have done that and we are in the clear. Vet said he will only grow out now. Looks like he's done growing, but he's 20 months now, so I'm starting extremely light for him. He's 75 pounds and could pull me already, but I think 10-15 pounds is a pretty good start.

Lucky Rescue
September 22nd, 2005, 09:14 PM
Yes, you need a special harness made for weight pulling. Here's an example of one:

BullLover
September 23rd, 2005, 11:42 AM
That's one big collar on that guy. Wow!

StaceyB
September 23rd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Good pic of the proper harness for pulling. Don't teach your dogs to pull if you are not prepared to teach them the difference between times when this is acceptable and when it isn't. If you don't do this properly you will have a dog who pulls all the time.
If your dog pulls for walks I would not teach him/her to pull loads. When teaching, the only time your dog is allowed to pull is with instruction and when the special harness is on.

love my dogs
September 23rd, 2005, 12:38 PM
Ok, so since Duke has still not fully grasped the concept of loose leash walking, I should have that down pat first?

But should I be familiarizing him with the feeling of wearing a harness,so that once he is old enough, and has the loose leash thing down, he would be better prepared?

BullLover
September 23rd, 2005, 02:44 PM
Absolutely!

I had Brutus on a regular walking harness before the new one. Once Duke can walk on a loose leash, set him up walking on the harness instead. Once he's fully grown, then buy the pulling harness and start playing. Brutus walks better on his harness now that it's got special padding for him. I think he's just really proud. :)

jr42
September 25th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a harness in the Sudbury area? -- or maybe online?

I've been wanting to get one so Buddy can pull a wagon/sled with my kids in it. I think this is the kind of 'work' he needs to expend that ever-present PB spirit...

also, any suggestions on how to start pull training -- maybe some links to online resources...

Prin
September 25th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Chatmac makes great ones- REAL sled dog harnesses, with fleece padding and the X-back design - for around $20.... They are really awesome and well made. Their website has been down for some time now, but I found their address etc on another site...

Chatmac Sled Dog Supplies
8210 Wallace County Rd. # 177
RR# 1 Listowel, Ontario, Canada, N4W 3G6

telephone
519-291-4738

BullLover
September 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Here's a great link jr....

http://www.americanpitbullterrier.org/weight_pulling.htm