Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A little too late...

Okami
September 17th, 2005, 05:51 PM
About a 2 months ago stumbleled upon pets.ca, and I learned alot about different types of pets and advice on how to care for them. I also learned to benefits of spaying a pet. So I decided to spay my dog in September (when she has all her yearly shots).
I took her to the vet today and they did all her checkups and such, then they found that she had a high fever. So they ran a bunch of blood tests and xrays and found out her uterus was infected and she needed sugery immediatly. So we speed away to the vet hospital and gave them the blood samples and x-rays. The vet told us that our dog needed to have surgery and that it wouldn't be an ordinary spay they'd also have to deal with the infection, and check if any of her surrounding organs (ex kidney liver) are infected as well. There's also a chance of death since my dog is about 10 years old.
I can't belive I didn't realize she was sick. I don't even know how long she was sick for. I didn't notice she was acting in any unusual way. The only thing I found unusual was that my dog stopped eating for the past 2 days. She did vomit but I didn't see it as unusual because she usually eats grass then vomits it back out. She still moved normally when I took her for her daily walks, and sleeps alot when she's indoors.

I'm starting to think animals only show very obvious signs of sickness when the illness is very sevre. Is there any way you can spot early signs of illness. Also I heard that if the infection in her uterus was spread to her liver or kidney's she would have to be put down, is this true?

Lucky Rescue
September 17th, 2005, 06:11 PM
I think a dog not eating for 2 days is a pretty obvious sign that it's not feeling well. At least, it would be with my dog!

It sounds like your dog has pyometra, a very serious and deadly infection of the uterus. Other signs of pyometra are lethargy, vomiting, swollen abdomen and fever.

Naturally, this infection is found only in intact dogs, and if the uterus ruptures, it releases a large quanity of pus into the body of the dog and usually kills it.

The risk of pyometra increases with age, and the chance of it happening is just one of the many reasons that pets should be spayed at a young age.

I hope your old gal will be okay!!

LavenderRott
September 17th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Most dogs are very stoic when it comes to pain. One school of thought is that it goes back to the pack - only the strong survive and the weak are killed.

I know how you feel. My girl limped 3 times before we had the x-rays done. The first time was in the beginning of February. She was stiff getting up in the morning but as she was a 10 year old rottweiler, and fine that afternoon, we assumed it was the cold weather affecting her joints. About 2 weeks later, she had another day when she was slow getting up in the morning but again, fine by afternoon.

The third time, she was fine in the morning but when I came home from running some errands, she tried to meet me at the door, but couldn't put any weight on her front leg. I made her an appointment for later that afternoon. My daughter and I carried her out to my van.

She was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in her right shoulder. The bone in her shoulder had desinigrated and was collapsing in upon itself! And yet, just a couple of days before she had been running around the living room!

I will keep your girl in my prayers.

Puppyluv
September 17th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Oh Okami.
I am so sorry to hear about your girl. I have to agree that dogs don't show that they're in pain until it's REALLY bad. Our dalmation had horrible arthritis and didn't show it all until one day she just couldn't climb stairs anymore. Just like that, from running and playing to almost imobilized in a day.
I hope your girl is ok, and she's in my thoughts :love: :grouphug:

White Wolf
September 17th, 2005, 11:46 PM
I made this thread yet another sticky because I think a ton of people can learn from what you have learned. I hope your cat gets better soon! :fingerscr

Okami
September 20th, 2005, 12:47 PM
MY dog came back from the vet a few days ago, but I'm noticing she's not eating much. And she drinks less too. I even tried giving her favorite treat, cheese and she would just let it sit in her mouth then she's spit it back out and just look at it. She hasn't toushed any dogfood. The only thing she eats is cooked meat, she doesn't eat the raw stuff now. Is there something wrong or is this normal for dogs who have just gone through surgery? Can it be that the infection is just slowly going away? Can it mean that she has another infection?

justncase
September 20th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Were you given any medication to continue to deal with the infection after you got home ? Had it spread to the organs? If the lack of appetite persists you could ask if your vet would prescribe Cyproheptadine, a safe and effective appetite stimulant. Continued lack of appetite can lead to other complications such as hepatic lipidosis.

Okami
September 20th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I've given her the medication the vet prescribed. The vet hospital didn't detect any other infections. I'm slowly starting to see her appetite come back, but I'll still keep a close eye. I'm not sure if she just pretending to not eat so she can get cooked meat everyday, or if she's really not eating -_-.
Well she ate some bread today, and some carrots so that's an improvement hopefully she'll be eating dogfood again.
Also my dog is a licker so I bought a big cone for her head( I forgot the technical name sorry!) so she wont lick her stiches. How long should I wait until I take it off? When is it safe for her to lick?
She gives me such a horrid look when she has a cone on like "why are you sticking this thing on my head I've went through enough already".

glasslass
September 21st, 2005, 11:35 AM
I'm glad the infection was caught in time to prevent the spread to other organs. Antibiotics can affect the appetite as well.

jawert1
September 22nd, 2005, 10:57 AM
Hey Okami,
I have a Shepherd/Chow female that sounds tons like your girl. Trust me, she's not faking it if she doesn't even want her treats, she's just genuinely not hungry cuz she's had her insides all moved around. When Peach had eaten a curtain tie and had abdominal surgery, I had her on rice and boiled chicken for 2 weeks till she showed an interest in her normal food (treats as well). I'm so very glad to hear she didn't have any further infection and equally happy that you had the good common sense to get her to the vet when things seemed off :) Best wishes on her recovery and keep us all posted on her progress :)

joeysmama
November 24th, 2005, 09:54 AM
In retrospect I think that my Joey was also very stoic when it came to pain. He never so much as whimpered when he had a shot, had procedures done for his eyes, blood taken. Very stoic for all of it. So when he was first acting a ittle "off" we chalked it up to the heat, or getting older. He was becoming winded more easily but it was late summer and his favorite walk included a hill. Than he didn't want to climb the garage steps one day and we thought he was getting lazy. He had always barked to be carried DOWN steps because he was afraid of slipping and on occasion he balked at going up the inside steps. You don't think of taking your dog to the vet because he didn't want to go up a couple steps.

Then his posture was stopped and I took him to the vet immediately. They said it was blocked anal glands, expressed them and gave him a shot. Happy dog. A couple days later the strange posture was back--herniated disc this time. The said to crate him for a month and treat him with steroids. He didn't seem to improve. I called the vet back and they said give it a week. I called the emergency clinic and they said give it two weeks.

By the end of two weeks we had him at another vet who did tests and suspected cancer in the spine. I don't know what would have happened if the cancer had been found earlier. The last 2 weeks of his life were miserable and I have terrible guilt for not insisting on more tests earlier, and I wonder if I would have put him down if I would have had a firm diagnosis.

I spent thousands of dollars on tests and hospitalization because I believe that if you take a pet you are making a committment and you have a responsibility for their health.

Anyway, long story short (or is it a too late for that:rolleyes: ) with my new puppy I will have him to the vet the minute something seems a little off. I think that LavenderRott was on the money about dogs being stoic with pain.

Okami, I'm glad your girl is doing well. Enjoy taking care of her and I hope that she is back to her normal self soon !

phaila
January 3rd, 2006, 12:20 AM
Hi Okami
My white shepherd dog had the same thing. A Pyometra. We had thought my dog was pregnant and we saw pussy blood on the floor and thought she was miscarrying. We took her to the vet right away and the found that she had a pyometra and had an emergency spay. If we had waited until morning she probably would have had a burst uterus and died from the septic infection. Cost like 900! Of course it was worth it. But all the things you dont know about until they happen. She is very strong and does not show her pain EVER. The only other symptom , and it was very slight, was that she would not eat EVERY tiny bit of food in her bowl AND she would go upstairs before us. But they were such minor symptoms that those alone didnt register a thing. Now I know to look for things like that with her since she is so tolerant of pain. The worst one is a blocked urinary tract in a cat. We didnt know our cat had anything wrong since he goes potty outside. Then he acted like he was peeing in the house and we were all Hey what are you doing! Then we smelled the spot and there was nothing there. I know he was trying to show us that he couldnt pee. Anyhow...took him to the vet right away (well the vet er) and ended up he had a blocked urinary tract. He was in the hospital for 4 days and had a catheter and all kinds of xrays. This one also cost 900! If you have and male cats feed them the special urinary tract food. He would have died if we hadnt taken him that night. Can you imagine having your pee stuck inside for 2-3 dys OR MORE!
Glad your girl is ok...it is a really traumatic thing isnt it :(

Prin
January 3rd, 2006, 12:27 AM
phaila, feeding wet food also helps. The key is to get enough water into the kitty...;)

mona_b
January 3rd, 2006, 07:57 AM
phaila, feeding wet food also helps. The key is to get enough water into the kitty...;)

Exactly Prin.

Especially neutered ones.

This is why I have always fed both my male cats and dogs canned.

They need more moisture in their food.