Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New member looking for answers

Jaidee
September 17th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm here looking for some answers about my St Bernard in heat. This would be her 3rd heat. She will be 2 in January. I also have a male who will be 1 in November. Their names are Captain & Tennille (we call her Nellie). Both are AKC registered.

I'm not here for any lectures. I've already read enough forums to know what most people think about breeding. My intentions were to breed in the first place so I really don't want to hear spay/neuter lectures. I don't mean to be so blunt, but most replies I've read to someone asking a question, are perceived as the owner being irresponsible for "letting" their pup mate in the first place.

Nellie went into heat 9/12-13. Swollen, blood - normal. 9/16 I noticed that she had something "coming" out of her. I'd swear if she was ready to give birth, it'd be a pup. 9/17 (today) I called the vet & they don't seem concerned, but I sure am! They asked questions -- No she doesn't appear to be in any discomfort, Yes she's eating & drinking normally, No she's not having problems going to the potty. At any rate, vet said they couldn't actually determine anything unless she's seen, which they can't do until Monday, but all sounds normal. She's keeping herself clean. It doesn't seem to bother her when licking in the area. I just don't know what this thing is & would like to know if anyone else has ever experienced something similar. I'm almost afraid that it's her insides coming out, but if that's the case, what causes this. I have searched for anything from "Dogs in heat" to "Dogs reproduction system" to "My dogs in heat & something's coming out". One thing found says something about "flaccidity" which I looked up & from what the person was describing in that post (topic = tissue protruding) this is normal. This does not look normal to me. She didn't do this the last 2 times she went into heat - why now?

I can get a picture if anyone would like to see (gross, I know, but it's easier than describing the problem)

I know that if this is her insides coming out, she will have to be spayed. I just wanted to see if anyone here would know something or maybe advise of a website that may have information on it.

Thanks for taking the time to read. I'd appreciate serious replies on the subject at hand.

Jaidee

LavenderRott
September 17th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Since you have read the forums here, I have to wonder why you posted.

While some of the members of this forum feel that breeding any dog before all shelters are empty is irresponsible, some of us believe that quality breedings by ethical breeders is necessary for the continuation of the breeds that many of us love so much.

So, I guess you could call this the lecture - but some might look at it in another light and think of it as an attempt to educate someone on what most of the members here think.

Most large/giant breeds of dogs can be genetically predisposed to such lovely things as hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia and different heart conditions. Most of these can be tested for when the dog is two years of age. If this dogs have not been cleared of these conditions, they should not be bred as the pups could be crippled with dysplasia or drop dead in the yard from a heart condition.

But, don't let that worry you. Your mind is made up and you don't want my opinion anyway.

Your dog could have pyrometra. Or it could be nothing at all. If you are comfortable waiting for your dog to be seen on Monday, then wait. If not, then a trip to the emergency vet is in your future. We can't diagnose your dog online any better then your vet could over the phone.

Jaidee
September 17th, 2005, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=LavenderRott]Since you have read the forums here, I have to wonder why you posted.

Because I didn't find any information pertaining to my question.

Thank you for your input. I wasn't asking for any Vet advice, I was asking if anyone had ever had a situation like this.

StaceyB
September 17th, 2005, 05:55 PM
It is hard to know by your description, pm marko and ask if he minds that you post a pic.

mona_b
September 17th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Well then I guess the reason you want to breed is that they have pointed to Champion,they are of breed standard and have been health and genetic tested/certified.But that can't be with your male,he is only going to be a year and testing for males is done at 18 months.Oh wait,neither is your female,they are done at 2.

Have you called your breeder and told her what was happenening with her?I'm sure the breeder would like to know.Maybe he/she can tell you whats going on.I would definately make an appt to see the vet.

Lucky Rescue
September 17th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Your male is a puppy at 1 year old so I don't know why you would use a puppy for a stud. Unless your dogs have been shown/titled, health tested and cleared against all genetic defects - hips, elbows, eyes, heart - common to this breed you shouldn't be trying to breed them.

I know that if this is her insides coming out, she will have to be spayed.

I suggest that instead of just calling the vet, you make an appointment and go there if you suspect something seriously wrong. After all, breeding large breed dogs can be a very expensive proposition if you do it right.

I don't mean to be so blunt, but most replies I've read to someone asking a question, are perceived as the owner being irresponsible for "letting" their pup mate in the first place.

At the risk of offending, anyone trying to breed a 1 year old puppy IS irresponsible and I really am puzzled as to why anyone would do this.

No one is "lecturing" you. Just trying to prevent yet more badly bred dogs from ending up dead in shelters.

Jaidee
September 17th, 2005, 07:21 PM
For all concerned... I don't believe at any point I have said that I am breeding this heat. I plan to wait until next fall to breed - 2 more heats after this. I merely gave the ages of the dogs. During this 3 weeks, they are separated.

I was concerned about my dog. I just wanted to know if anyone had ever experience this type of problem. I'm sorry for the bother.

Puppyluv
September 17th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Well then I guess the reason you want to breed is that they have pointed to Champion,they are of breed standard and have been health and genetic tested/certified.But that can't be with your male,he is only going to be a year and testing for males is done at 18 months.Oh wait,neither is your female,they are done at 2.

Oh Mona, I love the way you put things.

But yes, I don't think anyone here can be of much help without a photo, which may not be plausible, so a vet visit is in order.

White Wolf
September 18th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Photo or not, we are not vets. This dog needs a vet. The original question seems to have been answered and this thread will now be closed.