Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Totally GROSS habit

Terrie
September 17th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Hi
I have been walking my German Shepherd now 5 nights a week for a month after work, I allow him to be him ... Sniff this, lick that... but there are times when he sniffs shrubs and comes out foaming at the mouth and I can hear his teeth clicking like he's biting and he's gross :eek: .
I figure it might be because there was a bitch there but is there a way other than to avoid him sniffing, that this can be controlled. For the love of Gawd he looks rabid! :( . Please if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. We have dividing boulevards that he walks in and does his #1 business ( he is trained to do #2 in HIS yard and nowhere else ! ) but I don't understand this behavior...

Thanks, any comments, suggestions would be appreciated... I'm embarrassed to be seen with him ! ... Even though it's 12:30am ;)

StaceyB
September 17th, 2005, 03:06 PM
You can either stop him from sniffing there or bring a slobber cloth with you. You are not likely to stop him from slobbering.

Prin
September 17th, 2005, 04:06 PM
I think that when they are really smelling something intensely, they breathe in through the nose and out the mouth and I think that's what causes the frothiness...

Stewart
September 18th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Its a thing you have to live with, My female GSD does this and ends up with a froth coverd chin ;) All I do is call her away if shes sniffing one spot for to long.And as for unsocialable things she used to eat cow pats, She once came trotting back to me with the dung dripping from her jaws :eek: I soon stopped her of this by holding my breath as I grabbed her head put mine above hers and growled a firm loud NO ! BAD GIRL! :mad: She's never done it since.I dont know if this was the right thing to do, But it worked on this matter and it worked with rolling in fox faeces wich is another thing she did a few years ago.I just scolded her like mummy would have it worked for me ;)

Beetlecat
September 18th, 2005, 11:48 AM
lol, my parents' dog (who lives on a farm) regularly eats cow pies, though she's kind enough to not bring them back with her.

And my dog's sister (who lives on a sheep farm) got really fat in the summer from eating all the sheep placentas. And there were several hundred sheep giving birth this year.

My dog has foamed at the mouth occationally when working or running hard.

Terrie
September 18th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks every1... If I had a choice between frothing at the mouth or coming back with placenta or fesces hanging out of his mouth... I'll take the spit :D

I just think it's gross ... but no comparison to other things...

Thanks again... :thumbs up

mars
September 19th, 2005, 10:58 AM
that's funny. that actually happens with my dogs too after he's smelled certan leaves. he'll have some spit around his mouth and his chops will be going up and down without his mouth really opening that much. freaked me out at first too but i think it's kinda funny looking. i guess cuz my dog's not a heavy drooler. i can imagine why you'd think it was gross! :D

StinkyT
September 19th, 2005, 07:08 PM
LOL, it's funny reading about what dogs like to eat. My father in-law's bull terrier loves goose poo. He goes nuts when they go for walks in the park and tries to gobble up every pile. My father in-law will yell at him to stop or try avoiding areas with a lot of geese.

Sometimes the dog will see the pile and inch towards it without looking at it. As soon as my father in-law looks away, he'll snarf it down and try to look innocent with a mouth full of "goose pate"!

Prin
September 19th, 2005, 07:09 PM
LOL with Boo, it's MOOSE! He'll disappear into the bush and come back with nasty stuck between his teeth... EWWWW :yuck: