Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a few London things......

lezzpezz
September 17th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Any dog lovers that live in London looking for part time work at a vet clinic?? Sears Animal Hospital on Wharncliffe and Springbank is looking for a part time kennel assistant. Hours are Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri: 4 to 6 p.m. and Saturdays 9 to noon. Julia Sears is an awesome and warm person and she would be a delight to work for!

Secondly, there is a way for Londoners to help the animals after Hurricane Katrina: Here's the scoop:

>Dr Kyla Dillard is going to Baton Rouge, Lousianna in a week to offer
>her services as a Vet to all the homeless animals and the overworked
>staff--and to take all the supplies she can gather.So she will be
>leaving around the 22-23 Sept., she thinks.
>
>The shelters are in GREAT NEED of --COLLARS, LEASHES,PET BOWLS,
>TOWELS,BLANKETS and medical supplies. She would also appreciate any
>help in purchasing the later items. If you have any of these items
>PLEASE take them to her clinic at 1889 Wharncliffe Rd S--W of
>Wonderland Rd at the Hollandia Stone World turn off.>

>Her Receptionist just told me that Dr Dillard is driving down to the
>shelter in her vehicle, with the supplies, then donating the vehicle
>and flying back !!! She is so very generous and the animals need all
>the help we can give them. They have also lost their families.
>
>PLEASE help by collecting as many of the supplies you can. NO FOOD please ! The food companies
>have been very generous and Dr Dillard will be driving in the heat so
>will not be taking food.

love my dogs
September 17th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Wow- that is great, I will definately take some stuff over to Dr. Dillard. That is so generous of her to be doing that. It is so nice to hear about people that can and do take action to help others like that.

As for the kennel assistant, could you give me more info? Does this type of job require a lot of experience?

lezzpezz
September 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Well, like any job, I would imagine some experience would be preferred. Don't call the clinic, but swing by with a resume. I would list any and all experience you have working with animals and cleaning duties you have performed in other jobs. It is dirty work! But you do get to work with animals!

My guess is that because of the shifts needed to fill, (4-6 p.m. wkdays), that this is the part of the day that animals are being discharged after day surgery, and the animals will need to be cleaned up and made to look pretty for their owners, and cages need to be prepped for the next day. The clinic is only open on Saturdays from 9-12 and that is the shift for that day, so it will involve feeding, assisting, cleaning of animals.

Do you have much experience with this type of thing? Even dog walking for someone, or dispensing of meds to your pets would look good on paper. Any grooming experience? Phone skills (just in case!).

When you bring in your resume, you could likely ask the girls working there any questions you may have, as when I did, they were very forthcoming with info....that's how I found out the shifts! They don't fit my schedule, however....already have 2 jobs anyhow, but boy, do I miss veterinary work :p

good luck!! :fingerscr

lezzpezz
September 20th, 2005, 10:01 AM
My friend who is assisting with the Katrina collection from London just called Kyla's clinic - they have so much stuff they are trying to arrange for a shipping company for next week. That means we have until Friday to gather stuff. Used donations are appreciated too.