Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Daisy sleeping with eyes open

love my dogs
September 16th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I just discovered that Daisy (collie x) sleeps with her eyes open. I've often wondered about this because she has dark fur, and dark eyes, and I can never tell if they are open or not.

Anyway, last night I had the light on, and she was right under it, so I could see her well. She started the little dream whimper, and twitching her legs a bit, so I stopped to really look at her.

Her eyes were open, and kind of rolled up in her head and twitching, her pupils were really small. I'm pretty sure she was sleeping because she didn't notice me even though I got right down in front of her. When I said her name, she woke up, and the pupils got big again.

I know I've heard that there are people who sleep with their eyes open, but I've never met anyone that does, and I've never heard of dogs doing it.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Puppyluv
September 16th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Layla does this too when she's having vivid dreams, either her eyes will be open, or she'll only have the inner lid closed. I think it's pretty normal.

love my dogs
September 16th, 2005, 10:50 PM
yeah, I think I saw the inner lid, but I didn't know what it was. I didn't know that dogs had 2 eyelids. Do all dogs have 2 eyelids?

Puppyluv
September 16th, 2005, 10:54 PM
they actually have three, if you include the nictitating membrane.