Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

WARNING new form of robbery

melanie
September 16th, 2005, 05:46 PM
this is happening in sydney, so i figure if it happens here it may happen anywhere, so heads up ppl---

Ladies...please take care!

New theft technique. Just received this latest theft technique used by robbers. It seems feasible so take heed. Warning for all the ladies out there; and men please inform your significant other. (And, hey, it could happen to the guys!)

The Latest Scam: Robbing Females using the restroom/"ladies"/bathroom at a shopping centre......

The way the scam works is, a man slips into a women's rest room and sneaks into a unit. He waits until there is only one woman in the restroom in a neighbouring unit/stall. The criminal then stands on the toilet seat and points a hand gun into the next unit/stall, demanding the woman's valuables. After getting her cash and jewellery, he demands that she remove all of her clothing and kick them out of the unit/stall. The thief tosses the clothing into a shopping bag, hangs an "out of order sign" on the restroom door outside, and slips back into the mall.

The "out of order sign" ensures no one will soon come to the woman's rescue. It usually takes an hour or two for the woman to work up the nerve to leave the rest room in the nude, giving the criminal ample time to make his get away. The woman is left naked, humiliated in a mall full of strangers.

The best defence, say police, is to never go into a shopping mall restroom alone, as only women who are by themselves are targeted.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. This has so far been a nearly perfect crime, as none of the perpetrators have been caught.
Don't let this happen to another woman.

Prin
September 16th, 2005, 11:59 PM
There was also a scare last year (although I'm sure it is still going on) about people who hook cameras onto their shoes to look up girls' skirts and post them on the internet... They supposedly also put cameras in bathroom stalls, etc. You just have to be careful everywhere you go and whatever you do. (Personally, I never go into public bathrooms... ew..)

lilith_rizel
September 17th, 2005, 12:20 AM
It is hard for me not to use a public bathroom at this point.... I have one cup of water, and I have to pee like a race horse 10 minutes later! Joys og being pregnant!!!

As far as that story, I am going to let James know about it, so he will atleast stand outside the bathroom door, when I am in therem if I really need to go.... and I guess I should always keep an extra change of clothes in the diaper bag or stroller....

SnowDancer
September 17th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I particularly dislike using public restrooms in out of Canada airports due to passport, sufficient emergency foreign currency etc. I worry every time I have to use such facilities - which of course means every 2 minutes. Canadian passports are in hot demand. I also never put my purse or packages on the floor by the door unless the door is 2 inches from the floor as some now are - since thieves have been grabbing such items and running for years. If there is not a hook or a pull-down tray, they stay on my lap. I was once accused of being a thief, by a thief after using the washroom in the Cistine Chapel. What are the chances of being the only person in said public restroom? I apparently stole her state of the art camera. Funny, I am the one who reported to the Vatican police that I was being followed and she came up with this story. She couldn't even speak the language of the country she apparently lived in. By keeping my cool I won the battle. After this encounter, the nice policeman (as opposed to his boss who disliked everyone from North America) followed us and watched as she attempted to rob me. She had seen me in a bank before I entered the Chapel. I also hate exchanging travellers cheques since passports are required and thieves know this. But credit cards are not taken everywhere and you do need some cash.