Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need to vent

BullLover
September 16th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Sorry, if you don't want to hear this, but I need to vent. People have just been ticking me off lately.

This morning before I got to work, I had to drop Sadie off at the vet. Today is doom's day for her. She's getting fixed. It's not like I'm going to breed her anyways. Well, we walked into the clinic and there were probably five people waiting to sign their cats in for the day. I decided to hold Sadie back because there wasn't enough room for us to sit, so we sat on the stairs waiting patiently for our turn. She was a little shaky and I was petting her to tell her things would be okay. Every person in the clinic was saying how cute she was and how well behaved she was being. She was just afraid. Well, an older lady and I were talking and she was saying that she liked her. A gentleman at the counter said to me, "Is that one of those dangerous dogs?" He was joking. Then he said, "I've got one of those at home too." So the conversation went on between myself and the man. You know, usual oh how old, what sex, ect. The woman asked, "What KIND of do is she?" I stated that she was a pitbull. The man said, "They are the best dogs and I have one too." Well this b**** then gave me the dirtiest look and said, "Well, where's her muzzle?" I told her that she was already scared enough of being at the vet that I decided not to muzzle her that morning." I did have her muzzle in the car and was prepared to put it on her if there were any problems. The woman then decided to tell me a story about her 'friend' who had a pitbull. She was ranting on about how the dog bit its owner's leg and he had to get stitches. I explained to her that I have three pits and that not one of them have bitten anyone. She says, "Just wait. It will happen. My friend's 15 year old Doberman used to sleep with him and one day decided to bit his face off. He had to get 110 stitches."

Excuse me. Didn't you say that it was a pitbull before and that it bit your friends leg???? Dumb a**. Isn't that a little old for a Doberman? Maybe it was a Jack or a Schnauzer. Are you sure now? Come on!!!! I was purely p***ed off by this point and I told her that if dogs were treated with love and respect, then you will receive love and respect back from the dog. I informed her that my dogs haven't ever bitten me. I also stated that I was bit by a German Sheppard last year and the vet said that she was bit by a Sheppard yesterday. I also stated that my Schnauzer that I had while growing up bit EVERYONE, even people in the family. I think the only person that he didn't bite was my mother. As they say, don't bite the hand that feeds you. She thought.......Maybe her 'friend' (if this person even does exist) was treating the dog bad. NO SH** LADY! Thanks for wrecking my morning. I think (hopefully) I have changed her opinion that she believes that ALL pitbulls have and will bite their owners no matter what.

I think that people need to be a little bit more educated when it comes to things like this because it's really making me mad. I'm getting ready to pack up and move out of this ridiculous city.

DogueLover
September 16th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I find the most disturbing part of the story that the woman thought she was a pretty cute dog until she knew she was a pitbull.
Please don`t be upset with me for this but I just have to add this little note for you because although my dogs are not banned( yet anyway) there is a bit of caution that we all need to keep in mind when dealing with people due to the media hype about the dogs.
I try to make sure I NEVER say that my dog doesn`t bite. To this day my dogs have never bit, not even so much as a growl for the most part, however, I don`t know that they will never bite anyone, I am not my dog.
My rule when dealing with people who ask me if my dogs bite when they ask to pet them is that they have not bitten anyone yet. I don`t believe they would bite but you never know for certain that something may be interpreted by your dog as aggressive or intimidating and if they were to bite someone then you would look very bad. I always tell people that so far, my dogs have not bitten anyone, but I can`t assume that they won`t one day. My sister who has Danes says that the day you say your dog will never bite will be the day they prove you wrong.
With all the media BS that has been going on with pitties I feel so badly for the owners, I cannot imagine, but I do also understand why people react the way they do to them. It isn`t fair but it is the way the world is.
I guess if the woman who asked about her muzzle wanted to really cause a stink she could have Insisted that you muzzle her........ she could have easily made a really big deal out of it.
I hear the stories all the time about how someone`s pitbull, shepherd, bulldog, akita and the list goes on and on, attacked someone and they needed medical attention, and this could very well be what happened with the dobie she was talking about, we never can be 100 % sure that our dog will not bite or attack, we just don`t think like they do.

Again, I really feel for you, I can`t imagine what a pain in the a$$ these new rules are, and I am not defending the woman who confronted you.
Please try to remember, as passionate as you are about your dog, the media has made being a pitbull "being a killer dog" and until that changes things are just going to get worse. :sad:

bluntman
September 16th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience today, some people just don't have a clue, but venting does help. I took Mercedes into the pet store last week to get dog food, as we go the counter to pay, there is a lady there with her 12 year old daugter, as soon as she see's Mercedes she grabs her daughter and runs to the other side of the counter, I can't blame her because the media makes pits out to be child killers, but It did make me feel like I was some kind "freak" just because of my dog. So Mercedes sits patiently waiting for her treat, as I pay, the girl pats her head, says she a good girl,and goes to give her a treat, just as a cat jumps out of nowear on the counter between Mercedes and the treat, Mercedes just sat there and did not bother the cat in the least, the lady watched as Mercedes moved her head around the cat and got her treat. I think the lady was expecting mercedes to attack the cat, but instead she got a taste of reallity that day, a dog is only as good as it's owner, no matter what breed it is.

All we can do is grin and bare it, this sort of thing will be around for a long time, as long as we do our part showing people what pits are really like when properly raised, we are makeing a difference, one person at a time.

love my dogs
September 16th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Wow, I feel so bad for you bullLover, I know some people are just ridiculous!

My 10 year neice was over and playing with Duke. We started for a walk in the field, and she asked :
"what kind of dog is he?"
I said "pitbull".
So she stops dead in her tracks and says "I hate pitbulls".
So I said " well, how many do you know?"
she says "none"
So I say " well then how do you know you hate them?"
she says "I'm going back." and she runs back to the house.

And really, I know the media is to blame, but are people really that reactionary? Like, c'mon people......they are dogs. They will behave like dogs....and like any dog, if they are not trained properly, they will not behave properly. They are not evil villians who plot and plan for the day they will just snap and go on a killing rampage. They are dogs!

BullLover
September 16th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Did I say that they didn't bite? I told the woman that they haven't bitten anyone. My mistake if I wrote it wrong. I would never say that they don't bite, just in case they did bite....

mastifflover
September 16th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I feel for you and your baby. The problem is the media and the village idiot. But I use to feel the same way when I would take Buddy to the park and everytime some dogs start to get aggressive with Buddy he would walk away. He does not like aggressiveness or barking. But immediatley it would be his fault because he is so big. I used to just ignore the comments but every once in a while I would loose it on them. The culprits were usually the family dogs who only get out once a week to actually socialize. But every once in a while someone jumps to yours and your dogs defence, makes you feel better to know not everyone is ignorant on the issue. Just try and educate the ones you can because most only know what they hear and read.

Akeeter
September 17th, 2005, 10:52 PM
I had a Golden owner go nuts on me & tell me to 'get out of the vet's office', cuz he wasn't going to bring his dog in there when mine was in there. -Unfortunately, I was discussing my dog's medication with the Vet at the time... :rolleyes: (must be nice to be so darn 'special'.)

'Similar situation with a woman & her cat at the Vet's. She brings the cat in with no travel crate, not even a pillowcase to keep it from getting away & the cat is going ape-****! My dog isn't even looking at the cat, the cat doesn't seem to be an emergency. The Vet didn't ask if she & the cat could go in right away, so I don't know... (Maybe these people think we 'Dangerous Dog Owners' :o get Free Vet Care?)

We have 4 cats at home, we get visits from neighbourhood cats in the back yard & he just 'woofs' at them. No chasing, just a woof to say that he sees the cat. He didn't even look at the cat stuck to the woman's head @ the Vet's.

I'm not leaving my place in the Vet's office line up, because somebody has some strange ideas about 'breed charateristics & aggression'.

I think that woman was very out of line with you & your dog. (maybe that 15 year old Dobe had dementia? ;) Or maybe she does?)

StaceyB
September 17th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I have had many similar circumstances while teaching but on a happy note. My students trust me enough that even if they have an opinion or a fear of a particular breed, pit, rott, shep, or just large dogs in general they give them a chance and end up changing their mind. The first activity I do in my lower level classes is a meet and handle exercise. Every person greets and pets every dog in class. Even the ones who were scared would do it and by the second class you would never be able to tell that anyone had been scared.

Change one persons view and they will change many more.

love my dogs
September 19th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I just wanted to rant a little more about these stupid bsl....I am starting to get bitter!

Yesterday, I was at the Challenge Cup soccer tournement in London. Well, there was lots of dogs there, and I'm thinking, gee I wish I could bring Duke,but I have not received the muzzle yet, and quite frankly, probably wouldn't take him with it on anyway.

Well, all of a sudden this choco lab runs across the field to catch a squirel, which it catches and kills. I look around for the owners who finally come for the dog. Everyone is laughing...haha..got the squirel....there is too many squirrels around anyway...hahaha!!

"so much for leash laws" I say.

All I can think is, ya, I have to leash and muzzle my dog or huge fines and possibly jail. If it had been my dog.....it would have been "oh my gosh, vicious pitbull... should have muzzle....not be around kids at soccer tourney....poor squirel killed by mean pitbull"!!! People giving me dirty looks!!

But nooooo, it was a cute little non aggressive lab that killed the squirrel so it's ok. :mad:

Prin
September 19th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Aw that sucks. I grew up in double standards and I know how you must feel. I hope you guys get rid of this law soon. :highfive: :highfive:

TobsterMom
September 19th, 2005, 06:49 PM
I just want to let you know that I really feel for you guys going through this.

When I worked at the vet....the majority of dogs that we muzzled were small ones, poms and such, a few sheps and rotties...but it's the little guys, who were most likely more frightened than a larger dogs, that needed to be muzzled to get near.

Many of the pitties would roll on their backs, and slobber....I had one sit on me to get his bloodwork done :eek: I love the pitties...and think the muzzle law is complete baloney.

My thoughts are with all of you and your babies, and hopefully, like many other ignorant laws and ideas people have, it will become history, very soon.

BullLover
September 19th, 2005, 09:48 PM
love my dogs:

You should call animal care. The other day when I saw two different dogs at who different times of the day without a leash, my mom told me to start calling animal control. Maybe if they get enough complaints about dogs not being on leashes that aren't pitbulls, then maybe just maybe someone might start doing something. I'd call the humane society too to tell them that a lab killed a squirrel and you saw it.

love my dogs
September 19th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Do you really think I should? What can they do with that info? I don't know who the owners are. This was yesterday at North London Soccer park.

BullLover
September 19th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Hey, I'd tell them what I saw. You never know what kind of disease that squirrel was carrying. Don't forget to call animal control and tell them too.

Conners
September 24th, 2005, 08:53 PM
BullLovers right! We have been giving other dog owners the benefit of the doubt before because we were single...meaning we were all dog oners then, but now the tables have changed and their are the dog owners and the pit bull owners. We get the raw deal and get looked down at, while the others do all the things that if we did, POW! Your dog is deal and we are fined and jailed.
Time NOT to look the other way. Time to say fair is fair! If we can't, they can't. Show them how it feels.
I emailed Sharon of CHAPBT/DLCC and told her about the way we are feeling victimized and how this is effecting us 24/7 emotionally to the point of compulsion. I also told her of another concern that I can't remember at this minute what it was. I asked her if perhaps these things should be addressed to Clayton Ruby as we shouldn't have to live this way.
She told me that Jean-Anne and Cathy kept in communication with Ruby quite regularily and would speak to him about this. She also told me she has been talking to London Council for the past 5 years and they still don't get it and to keep plugging away at them, but that's got nothing to do with how we need to deal with this right now.
I just thought, it couldn't hurt to try to reach Ruby since he's on our side and glad to receive a quick response back. Hopefully he will use this in our defense since Bryant said he wanted ALL Ontario residence to feel safer. Well, now we are treating on raw egg shells 24/7 and this ain't no picnic.
It's hard to ignore people like that and it only happened to me once. My hair at the back of my neck literally stood up and as much as I wanted to SCREAM at the man...somehow I managed to keep my cool. When he went to say something else, his wife gave him a good nudge in the ribs and he shut up. I smiled at her as a thank you and walked away, whether she meant it or not, I didn't care. I felt exactly as I would have if someone insulted my grand kids, but by not coming down to his level I felt better about myself and the man looked like the fool...specially cause there were lots of people and they had been patting her previous to that.