Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Really just a dirty litter box??

dasiavuu
September 15th, 2005, 10:21 PM
About three months ago me and my three year old cat moved in with my boyfriend who has an older cat. For the most my cat, Nimue, uses the litter box without a problem, but every once in a while something goes wrong and she uses the bathmat next to the litter box. I've read a couple of threads and she has a clean bill of health, she went to the vet recently, and she is fixed. Another suggestion I read was that the litter box was too dirty and to have a litter box for each cat. We had two litter boxes but one was never used so we got rid of it. A lot of other posts are about their cats peeing other places, but Nimue's peeing right next to the litter box. If it was in fact because the litter box was "too dirty" would she still go right next to the box, and not find some place cleaner? Also, I don't even know for a fact it's Nimue. My boyfriend is convinced it's her because his cat has never peed anywhere but the litter box but Nimue never did before either. My boyfriend is getting tired of washing the bathmats because of cat pee and wants to get rid of her. I don't want this to happen. I'm going to clean the litter box more often and hope this fixes the problem, this just seems like too simple of an answer. Thanks for your input, hopefully it is just because the litter box is dirty.
Thanks!!!

mafiaprincess
September 15th, 2005, 11:44 PM
The rule of thumb is usually one more box than cat. So in this case 3.

My dog was potty box trained. If she disliked the state of the box she'd get in it and stick her bum out of the box to go on the floor.

I think it is quite possible that 2 cats using one box that unless it is cleaned a few times a day that a cat or both may not be happy with the state of the box..

PetFriendly
September 16th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Hi There

When my room-mate moved in with her cat, we went to two litter boxes that we put side by each. Both cats had previously been reliable box users and both were heathly. Every few days however, someone (and we didn't bother assigning blame, there wasn't any point really) would use a carpet or piece of clothing on the floor near by. So we moved the litter boxes into each their own room, again same thing, surprises on the floor. Plan B was to clean both boxes daily, and BINGO, we had a winner. The two of them will actually hold it a while and sit outside the laundry room protesting if we haven't cleaned it yet that day, but otherwise its working well. Good Luck!

chico2
September 16th, 2005, 07:51 AM
If my boyfriend threatened to go rid of my cat,guess who would be leaving?Definetly not my cat :D
I have 3 cats and got away from using the standard"litter-boxes"instead I bought 2 higher sided Rubbermaid storage-boxes,they give the cats more room to scratch and easier for them to find a clean spot.
I change all the litter every 2 weeks if using clumping or once a week if using the regular litter.It's VERY important to keep the boxes as clean as possible,pick up a couple of times a day.
My cats seem to pee in one box and poop in the other :confused:
Cats are extreemly clean animals and I am sure even mine would find another place to go,if the litter is dirty and strong smelling.
Another problem might be,these 2 cats are new to each other and might be unhappy sharing one box.Please put the other one back!!

Beetlecat
September 16th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I'm placing my money on a dirty litterbox.

Occationally, my cat has **** right outside his litterbox if it's too dirty. He does not go anywhere else away from the box beceause he know the litterbox is the right spot and it's habit.

Some cats are pickier than others. I know of at least one that will refuse to use anything but a perfectly clean box and will go in the laundry basket (on dirty or clean clothes). So to keep that cat happy (and his clothes clean) my friend has to scoop the litterbox multiple times/day.

With two cats and one litterbox, it probably just gets dirty twice as fast as with one cat so you have to change it twice as often.