Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Here Command

Rockblind
September 15th, 2005, 09:58 PM
My lab is 3 months old. My concern is that when I have the pup in the backyard and she is not on leash, she does not respond to the here command all the time, but mostly not. Should I have her on the leash in the back yard? Some goes for inside the house sometimes, the here command does not fizz on her??

Thanks,

RB,

Prin
September 15th, 2005, 10:04 PM
The way I always learned it is you go from short leash, to really long leash gradually, and when you mastered the long leash, then you go back to the short leash and leave it hanging so you have an easy grabbing tool. You can't go from leash to no leash right away...

Rockblind
September 15th, 2005, 10:08 PM
The way I always learned it is you go from short leash, to really long leash gradually, and when you mastered the long leash, then you go back to the short leash and leave it hanging so you have an easy grabbing tool. You can't go from leash to no leash right away...

So what you are saying is work with the 6 ft leash, once that is mastered move onto a 20ft leash. After that is accomplished go back to the 6ft lead? So should I be using the lead in the backyard and house?

Thanks,

RB.

Prin
September 15th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Does the doggy respond in the house? If not, I say just a short leash is enough (unless your rooms are like football fields... :D ).

Rockblind
September 15th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Does the doggy respond in the house? If not, I say just a short leash is enough (unless your rooms are like football fields... :D ).

I got the pup at 11 weeks, she responded well in the beginning. Each time we gave the dog praise. I have just found that even with getting down on my knees and clappin my hands does not interest the dog in coming. I have not used treats as a lure. Should I?? She will sit there and just not come?? I will not go after her as I do not want to think she thinks it is a game. Am I just overreacting and not giving her time or should I be using the lead all the time? House and out of house?

Thanks,

RB.

Prin
September 15th, 2005, 10:26 PM
That's why you need the leash in your hands- so when she doesn't come, you can guide her to you...

Personally I like the reward. Some people don't.. What I did with one of my doggies was I gave cookies every time until the doggy consistently performed, and then I gradually phased them out. I gave cookies in a way so that the doggy is never really sure when there will be a treat and when there won't be one, but it's often enough that they still hope for it for a while. After a while, they do it alone, with no treats.. :)

I know Tenderfoot will completely disagree with this, but I find it works with moderately food-driven doggies. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 15th, 2005, 10:32 PM
We are starting to learn off leash in Joeys obedience classes. We are supposed to start off with the leash and then take the leash off in an enclosed area, the second the dog doesnt listen, then a verbal correction is given an a leash goes back on again, once he listens the leash goes off again. They also said if your dog is not listening when he is off leash and you are calling him. Start to correct him right of way, do not call him if he just keeps running. As soon as you catch him, give him a verbal correction put the leash back on him make him come and then praise him. We were also told to read the signals when you are praising him look at his eyes, his is tail wagging etc, head up towards you.

There is an area behind my sons school that is about 10 or so feet wide with a fence on side and heavy bushes on the other and about 1/4 mile long and fenced at the end . I wrap the leash around Joey and leave one end slightly hanging. We practice our off leash routine there because I can stay close enough that I could grab him if I had to. We do the sit, down, stay, heel and come.

I made the mistake of taking Joey to a doggie park, he had no problems with the other dogs, but he did take off on me and I had to go get him. So before we attempt that again I also want to make sure that he comes when he is being called everytime.

Hope this makes sense I am kind of tired right now.

mona_b
September 15th, 2005, 10:49 PM
The command I used for my dogs was "come"

I would use the "come" command instead of "here"...Try it.

Does she know the "sit" "stay" command?...It would make the "come" command easier.At least it did for me.And my one dog was taught commands in German.

What you can do is have her on her leash.You haven't mentioned her name so I will use one.Say to her Shasa "sit".Once she sits,praise her.Then say Sasha "stay".At the same time give the hand gesture.Bring your hand flat and straight down in front of her.Take a couple of steps in front of her.Face her and say Sasha "come"(in an upbeat voice)..If she just sits there,say the command again and just give the leash a little pull.And if you want,you can definately use a treat.When she "comes" praise her.Hope this all made sense.I'm really tired and the brain is in slow mode....LOL

Just remember take your time with each command.Do not make her do all at one.Focus on one then go to another.

As you noticed,I used the name before the command.This is how I trained my dogs.I find that when you say the name first,it gets their attention.They know you are talking to them.

StaceyB
September 15th, 2005, 11:49 PM
If your dog is not listening when you call him/her while off lead and you correct them as soon as they get to you will make them not want to come in fear of getting in trouble. Coming to you always needs to be pleasant. Never call to you to discipline. If you have to correct for anything always go to them. If your dog is not responding off leash then they shouldn't be until some work has been done first.

jessi76
September 16th, 2005, 09:24 AM
my pup is 6mths now, and we're still working on recall.

If my pup is free (which isn't often as his recall isn't reliable yet) and he won't come when called, I walk/run in the opposite direction, and sound like I'm having the time of my life (yes, I look like an idiot doing this) - wooo hooo! - and he comes running to me, everytime. How dare I have fun without him....

Beetlecat
September 16th, 2005, 11:19 AM
IMO, the best way to get a dog reliable off leash, is to make him think that he's missing out on something if he doesn't come, be it treats, praise, whatever. That other dog, or flower, or whatever can wait because you are the real party.

Always reward your dog when it comes, even if you did not call. You just want it to know that being near you is good. Never punish your dog for not coming immedietly. This is the best way to teach a dog not to come.

never chase your dog to catch it. Make some noise then run away from it and it'll run after you.

Say your dog's name to get its attention, then use your command to come. Only say it once. IF the dog doesn't listen, then calmly walk over and grab it. If it does listen, give major praise and treats if you want to.(I see nothing wrong with using treats as a reward, just do not make it obvious you have any or the dog may eventually not come if it knows it won't get a treat)

Do not let the dog off leash outside, if it is not reliable inside first. Keep it on a long lead. I don't personally use a 6 foot leash to train recall.

You can make it into a game for yourself where, if the lead is 10 feet long, then the dog gets to 'have' an area of 6 or 8 or whatever feet from you. Call it everytime it passes this. 'Reel' it in and then praise. Praise even more if it comes without you pulling. Mix up the distance it's allowed to go and eventually change to a longer lead (say 20 feet).

Once that's 100% reliable (the full length of the lead), you can try off offleash in a fenced area. Still keep it within 10 or 20 feet from you. The first time it doesn't listen, immedietly walk over and snap on a short leash or put it inside or in the car.

Eventually, staying close to you will be ingrained and automatic, and you can go to unfenced off leash areas. It's possible your dog will not always come (as dogs are not robots), but at least it will never run off, and it will not get into trrouble where you are too far away to help.

In my case, I also do not allow my dog to go somewhere I cannot see him. Be it around the curve of a trail, or behind a tree, or down a hill. Though, if we both know the area, I'm not a stickler on this.

Prin
September 16th, 2005, 12:00 PM
That is so true Beetlecat! I hear people at the park all the time, "Come HEEERE!!" and then the dog comes eventually and they say, "No. NOOOO!!" and look sternly at the doggy.... If you have your back turned and don't see it, you can hear it doesn't make sense. (you just hear "Come.....Bad Dog!") If you scold a dog, you always end up scolding him for coming to you. And ya, it's the best way to train him never to come. :D

mona_b
September 16th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Also,keep the training sessions short in the begining.I'd say 15-20 mins.This is what I did.And I got my dogs at this age.They are just learning.And their little brains need a rest. :)

I never had them on leashes in the house.And when I was doing the training in the backyard,I did have a leash on them.But once the training session was over,off came the leashes and it was playtime.I focused on the "sit" command first.Then worked on the "stay",then it was the "come"..And see with my one dog,I was teaching his commands in German.Now that was a chore in a half...LOL

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 16th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Okay I am just learning all this dog training myself so I will have to clarify what the trainer means exactly next time I go to class. Because now I am confused.

First of all training should be in an enclosed area. Just in case. But if your dog is not listening and he is running away from you just calling after him, then isn't he disobeying you. I was told to tell him no if he just keeps on running. Then put the leash on him , make him heel or come and praise him like crazy.

StaceyB
September 16th, 2005, 09:55 PM
You should be practicing all of your cues outdoors(on lead) as well as indoors. You will want to practice in as many places as possible. This is a little difficult in the beginning but will make all your cues more reliable in the end. If you practice everything indoors this will be the only place you can get them to do it because they wouldn't have learned to deal with distractions.
As for the come command, if you discipline when you call them to you even once, they will choose not to come rather than get in trouble. Even if your voice changes because you are frustrated will tell them not to come to you.
They need to know that you give all that is good, every time. Praise, treats, play, etc.

mona_b
September 16th, 2005, 10:19 PM
If you practice everything indoors this will be the only place you can get them to do it because they wouldn't have learned to deal with distractions..

I agree 100% with that comment.And I have said that before.

They need to learn with distractions.Yes it will be hard in the beginingMany times people say"well he was listening when we were in class"...Well this is why.There were no distractions.You can't keep training in an enclosed area.

All the training I did was outdoors.I did most of it in a schoolyard.And I used a 30' training lead.This way if they didn't listen,they couldn't take off on me... :D

Prin
September 16th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Yes-- that's one of the major problems with dog parks- people don't train their dogs with THAT many distractions... You have the other dogs, the strange people and on top of that you have all those smells, smells, smells!

Most of the worst people in dog parks say, "He listens so well at home! I don't know what's happening!".

StaceyB
September 16th, 2005, 10:36 PM
The most common comment I hear in class is, well they do everything at home. Work at home is like a confidence booster for you, you can see that the dog can actually do it but they need to be able to do it everywhere. The larger my class the better the dogs do because they get used to more distractions. I also add more so they get used to listening with a large amount of distraction.