Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need stats to discourage breeding

LittleLoves
September 15th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Hi folks!

Wondering if someone could give me some statistics to pass along to a dope that wants to breed her mutt?

I'm talking the kind of stats that describe how many puppies are born and dumped, or not neutered and spayed and how population gets out of control?

Thanks for any help, this woman just doesn't get it! :mad:

StaceyB
September 15th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Well it would be pretty easy to figure it out.
Say this dog has 6 pups and lets do the addition on a minimal scale.
One of these pups gets bred at 1 yr(1st heat) and has 6 pups. A year later mom and 1 of litter 1 are bred and 12 pups were born.
Year 3 = 18 pups
Year 4 = 24 pups
---------------------
mom = 6 pups
2 bred plus mom =18 pups
mom 1st 2, plus 2 from each = 42
---------------------
What if mom was bred at each heat and had an average of 6 pups each time.

One pup from each litter born has one litter and one from each of those litters has one litter. In 3 yrs there would have been 144 pups. If 2 were bred from each litter it would equal 216.

Lets say 2 pups from each litter don't stay in their original home. = 48

Second addition would show 92 puppies homeless.

You can imagine where this would be if the litters were larger or more of them were bred. All because of one bad decision.
Mom not bred = no puppies homeless.
How will this number increase if you added it up for the lifetime of mom even if she wasn't bred anymore.

Prin
September 15th, 2005, 09:10 PM
You could also search for her breed on petfinder and show her how many abandoned ones there are already.

LittleLoves
September 16th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks folks. This was a member of another message board. She has a chihuaha (sp) and wanted to breed her, but now she's posting that a "dog dug a hole under my fence" and now her chi is pregnant. :mad: So I was too late anyways. :sad:

MIA
September 16th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Every 1.2 minutes a dog is put to sleep in Canada.... That's the latest I have.

StaceyB
September 17th, 2005, 01:58 AM
Ya , she probably dug the hole for her. I would ask just out of curiosity what breed dad is.