Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our dog Makana is very ill

Jerry & Roger
September 15th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Our dog Makana, is very ill. We recently went away on vacation for two weeks but left her in great hands with our roomate who lives with us. They all were fed same diet they have been on. When we returned Makana seemed very normal. However it was noticeable after awhile she was not eating her food completely or at all. She also was vomiting everything she did eat. But her demeanor and appetite remained somewhat normal. It was when she started appearing much thinner that we became concerned. She has lost nearly 30 lbs, She is an 80lb dog normally.

We took her to our Vet and they ran blood work, and did Xrays, everything came back normal. Still no change in her, she was mopy, laying down a lot, not eating. We took her back they did Barium test and it came back normal as well. We did leave her for 2 days though so they could giver her IV fluids and nutrition.

We picked her up yesterday and she still is same, she won't eat anything I try to feed her, I have pureed her food, tried different things she would have never passed up before-nothing works. My heart is breakig cause I feel something else must be going on. If all the tests came back negative, what could be going on?

Prin
September 15th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Could it be a food intolerance? I ask because my big Boo gets pukey for days if he gets the slightest bit of chicken... Maybe it just developed... Have you tried switching foods? What food is she on right now?

Otherwise, I hate to be a downer, but my first dobie seemed to be in the same boat and she ended up having liver cancer... I'm just saying it because you asked what it could possibly be...

Jerry & Roger
September 16th, 2005, 12:25 AM
My biggest fear is she is dying slowly. I am not wanting to believe it to be true, but I cannot understand her sudden change. When we picked her up from vet she seemed more perky and alive than when we dropped her off, but within hours she was back to her depleted state. It seems the IV fluids and nutrition she was getting in hospital helped but temporarily. He blood work shows no signs of anything abnormal. However Cancer has been my biggest fear. I just guess I expected some signs to show way before this, not to come on suddenly. I am taking her back to vet in morning first thing and perhaps we need to look further into the cancer aspect, although vet seems to have ruled this out.

This is a dog that has always had a super appetite. Just seeing her makes me cry and very worried.

Prin
September 16th, 2005, 12:45 AM
How old is she?

justncase
September 16th, 2005, 12:20 PM
What has changed since the time you were with your dog and she was fine, and when she became ill? Two weeks when you weren't there. What happened during that time? If you can answer that question you may be able to find the answer as to why your dog is ill. Although it's possible, the odds that your dog would suddenly contract cancer in that time period would be somewhat unlikely. Did your dog stop eating sometime during the two weeks you were gone? Hepatic lipidosis could have set in during that time and this can seriously hamper a pet's desire or ability to eat. Did she swallow something? Is there an obstruction at the entry to the stomach , bowels or along the intestinal tract? Ask your vet if he will prescribe Cyproheptadine. It is a safe appetite stimulant and highly effective.

Prin
September 16th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Could she have injested some sort of poison or toxin?