Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick cat

SSEi9219
September 15th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Hi...newbie here...

I'm just really concerned about my cat..he's 12 years old.

Over the past few months, we have noticed a dramatic weight loss in him. He NEVER used to whine for food, he would always eat dry food. But now he won't eat it. He eats wet food now, but I have to feed it to him all the time. EVERYTIME I walk in the kitchen he follows me to his dish for more food, even after 10-20 minutes after I just fed him. :( ... Oh and his stomach is constantly growling, even after feeding him (worms?)

I have also noticed that he has been shedding ALOT, and he also vomits sometimes. I think he has a hairball problem (tried feeding him hairball treats, but they dont work) so he is constantly hacking, eventually he will cough up something. :yuck:

ANOTHER thing that he does is sneeze, ALOT.

There is so many things wrong with him, I just don't know what to do anymore :( He lives in a clean home with fresh water and food...so I don't know why he gets sick like this.

One day he will be fine, then the next day he gets soo sick.

Writing4Fun
September 15th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Has your cat been to the vet yet? What was the diagnosis? If he hasn't been to a vet yet, get him to one yesterday. Dramatic weight loss can be a sign of serious illness in cats. Please keep us posted.

justncase
September 15th, 2005, 02:42 PM
A friend's cat had almost the identical thing happen with her cat. 16 years old and losing weight. Except, she was always hungry but she didn't want to eat anything she was given . Meowing all the time for food. She thought to give her carrot juice( you have to juice a carrot) and to give her the juice with an eyedropper one tablespoon or so several times a day. The rest of the time, she just put the food down for her to eat as she wanted. She got a really good brand of canned cat food and also dry cat food- the kind that said " chicken first" with no preservatives, or additives or fillers like corn. She left both choices down and let her cat eat if and when she wanted to. For the first 24 hours nothing happened, then her cat started eating on her own and that was the end of the problem. Commercial pet food is usually devoid of live enzymes, amino acids, etc that the system needs to process and digest food. So many times the food just goes through without much of it being assimilated. A raw food diet is full of live enzymes,etc., but if you can't implement it then adding a digestive enzyme tablet for cats and a little carrot juice and having the cat food as nutritious as possible can help immensely. However, if this doesn't work then there could be another reason for the weight loss which should be checked out.

jessi76
September 15th, 2005, 02:54 PM
dramatic weight loss, changed eating habits, excessive shedding, hacking, sneezing... all are signs you should see a vet, first and foremost.

It's always better to be safe, than sorry.

SSEi9219
September 15th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Thank you all...I definitely need to take him to the vet...

Lucky Rescue
September 15th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Glad to hear your cat won't go any longer being sick and uncomfortable. Even cats in clean houses with fresh food can get diabetes, thyroid dysfunction and kidney problems as they age, just as we do.

Cats who go outside and get in fights can get FIV and leukemia.

Perhaps a simple blood test and appropriate meds are all that are needed!:)