Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice needed.

sjat24
September 15th, 2005, 12:12 AM
I wish someday I would be working with animals! I even took Animal Health Technology at Vanier college but sadly I dropped out due to much stress. I should have taken fewer classes but it wasnt even the animal classes that were killing me. It was english and french etc.

Anyways could I get a job working with animals without having to go to college?
I wanted to volunteer at the Montreal SPCA but one its a long bus ride and two I would like to make money.

If I applied at a pet store would I need some kind of animal education (what a dumb question :o )? I would love to learn how to groom animals but I have search high and low for grooming courses, cant find any.

The other sad thing is I dont really know french :( I am hearing impaired and learning any language is difficult for me. I even have a hard time say some of my own english word. Although I speak and hear very well.

What should I do? any advice here.
Thanks
Shanna

amber416
September 15th, 2005, 07:39 AM
You should ask at some near by vet clinics about potential jobs. Before and during college, I worked at a vet clinic for four years. I did lots of misc. things.... i medicated the animals, walked the dogs there for boarding or overnight stays, socialized litters of kittens brought in for adoption, fed the animals, cleaned, and sometimes did paperwork or assisted the vet. It was a great job, great experience, no college degree required :) . Good luck!

poodletalk
September 15th, 2005, 08:04 AM
What I suggest is, go back to college, go back part time get your English and French out of the way. Then apply again to be a Vet Tech. You would only have the animal courses to deal with less stress. In the mean time, why don't you apply at a animal foodstore, like JE Mondou, Naturalanimal, fritzandbark etc this why you are learning and teaching people about animal nouttrian (sp.)and not helping people buy back yard dogs and sick kitties. If you want to work with animals, why don't you apply at some rescue groups, SOS Miow, Lucky Rescue too see if you can help foster any sick kitties or mother cats with their kittens. (That is very impressive to put down on a resume, if you want to work in the animal field that you worked with rescue groups) As for volunteering at the SPCA Montreal, I think it's a good idea, but it sounds far from your house. I don't know where you live, but the SPCA Monteregie is also looking for volunteers.

Prin
September 15th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Sadly, a lot of the vets that hire when you aren't expecting to go back to school are not the best vets around... Some vets hire high school students just so they don't have to pay the "huge" AHT salaries (huge being grossly small). You might end up learning the wrong thing from vets who hire without qualifications or the intention to get qualifications.

If you are still young, I would try volunteering for a bit and then when you have enough experience, you can start to shop around for a job.