Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi and how can I stop my dog from whining in the car?

SFKath
September 14th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I have a 7 year old miniature pinscher dog. I rescued her two years ago. She whines in the car. Not the entire time. When she gets started there is no stopping her. Could be for 5 minutes or an hour. Another trip, no whining at all. The whining progresses from mild to an almost screaming high pitch. I have tried saying firmly "QUIET", I have spritzed her in the face with water every time she whines. Neither of these have worked. She has a bed in the back seat to sit on and she can see out. I have tried her in the crate in the back seat. Usually it is just the dog and me in the car. If a friend is in the car she whines too, but not if she can sit on their lap. This is infrequent (person in front with her on lap). Any suggestions? I really do not know how to get her to stop and it drives me crazy. It gets worse when we are close to our destination (I have no idea how she knows we are almost there) and when I am getting out of the car and have to leave her she really screams loudly.

Puppyluv
September 14th, 2005, 06:12 PM
It gets worse when we are close to our destination (I have no idea how she knows we are almost there) and when I am getting out of the car and have to leave her she really screams loudly.

How long are you leaving her in the car alone? She could associate the car rides with you leaving her in the car alone, which you really, shouldn't do.

SFKath
September 14th, 2005, 06:30 PM
90% of the time I do not leave her in the car. She comes with me to work every day and we drive 20 minutes each way. On weekends she might have to stay in the car while I run into the grocery store. I live in a cool foggy area so she is not in danger, and I always leave the four windows open 2". So I don't think it's fear of being left, but maybe it is.

Puppyluv
September 14th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Hmmm because she's a rescue dog, you don't really know her history; it's possible that she had a bad experience in a car when she was young. If that's the case, it's a matter of desensitization. A lot of people on here know a lot more on that than I do, but it's pretty much a matter of repetitive exposure to the "problem" (but it seems like you're getting a lot of car trips with her anyways). Try taking her for short car rides (5 min) with a "fun destination" and then increasing the length of the rides..
Just some ideas....

SFKath
September 19th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Thank you!! I have been trying just completely ignoring the whining. I did read in a book that any form of recognition of whining is like praise to the dog. If that doesn't help, I will try the short rides with a "fun" destination.