Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canine Evacuees Arrive In San Diego

heidiho
September 14th, 2005, 03:17 PM
SAN DIEGO -- About 50 pregnant dogs rescued from the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast were sitting pretty Monday at an animal shelter in Rancho Santa Fe, where they will be placed with families.

About 100 dogs from Louisiana and Mississippi arrived in San Diego Sunday, and the nonprofit Helen Woodward Animal Center agreed to take the pregnant ones. The rest went to the Marin Humane Society in the Bay Area.

The dogs at the Helen Woodward Animal Center will be given a medical exam, then be put up for adoption. Those interested in adopting a pet can call (858) 756-4117.

"Operation Pet Lift" was paid for by Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens and wife Madeleine, who spent about $50,000 to charter a Continental Airlines 737, according to the airline.

Pickens, founder of Dallas-based BP Capital, got involved when the Louisiana Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals became overcrowded with pets left homeless by the hurricane.

The Louisiana SPCA in Gonzales, La., was housing about 1,700 pets at its shelter, which is designed to hold 1,350.
Copyright 2004 by 10News.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,

chico2
September 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Nice to hear a milionaire is using his money for something good :thumbs up
Now,come on Bill Gates,Donald Trump and everyone else who have more money than they can ever spend!!!
There are about 50.000 pets in N.O and surrounding area,100 is only a drop in the bucket,but so much better than none!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 14th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I saw on CBC or CTV News in Vancouver. Could not find link to story. That several dogs were flown there and are now being adopted through One at a Time rescue. Tried to convince my hubby again but still no luck Looks like a donation is in order from me to at least contribute to the cost of having them shipped out.