Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Pee rampage

Vegas0919
September 14th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Good Day!

I need some advice here. I have a three month old lab sheltie mix and we're in the process of potty training. She was doing awesome up until last night when she went on a rampage. My roomate and I were watching tv when all of a sudden Vegas (that's my pup's name) jumped up on to the couch and peed. I proceeded to clean up the mess when she felt it was best to assault the other couch. I'm not even sure where all this pee came from! Usually she'll just pee on the floor...but last night she decided that the couches were the best place to go. Frustrating indeed, but that's not all. This morning while getting ready she jumped on my bed and peed. Naturally, I was not impressed. I put her outside just in case something else was to follow and cleaned up the mess. I let her inside after a few minutes and figured all was fine. Vega's instantly ran into my roommate's room, one that she does not normally have access to, and peed on her bed! I'm not sure what's up!? I put her out regularly...especially after meals..and she's never done this before...maybe she's upset or something!? I'm not too sure...peease help!

Puppyluv
September 14th, 2005, 11:08 AM
That "lovely" episode happened to me once. Layla was completely potty trained, and then one day, I'm in the kitchen and I come out, and she's standing on my bed (where she is only allowed if invited) peeing. throughout that evening she peed on 3 pieces of furniture, 2 rugs and in a closet. :evil:
The only thing I can relate it to is that although she got a ton of trips outside, and exercise, she was left alone more than she had ever been left before (I had two finals and class that day) So I think it might have been a little bit of "oh yeah? well I'll show you...."
It hasn't happened since, but then again I've never left her that long again.

BMDLuver
September 14th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Generally when potty training you do not allow the pup free roam of the house. I would limit the space allowed and gradually work up to larger areas. Also, get natures miracle to clean the sofas, mattresses etc... as she will return to the scent and pee on it again. Just some suggestions.

raingirl
September 14th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Might want to take her to the vet just in case it's a urinary tract infection. I heard that dogs tend to pee in odd places when they have an infection.

Lucky Rescue
September 14th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Generally when potty training you do not allow the pup free roam of the house.

Right. This is a 12 week old baby, who needs training to show her what's right and wrong and who won't likely be reliable in the house for some time.

Usually she'll just pee on the floor...
If she is often peeing on the floor, you're not taking her out often enough or watching her closely. Each time you let her pee on the floor this behavior is reinforced. You want to try and prevent any accidents at all.

Instead of putting her out, TAKE her out at regular intervals, and praise her greatly when she performs.

In the house you need to confine her or keep her attached to you by a leash, so you can see the first signs when she needs to go and rush her outside.

Also agree it would be good to have her checked out in case the sofa peeing is a sign of UTI.

RCarreras
September 17th, 2005, 08:26 PM
I am having the same problem with my puppy. I am crate training him though which is a good idea. I also have found this stuff at petsmart that is Dog and Cat repellent and you put it where you dont want the animal to go and they wont cause they dont like the smell. I sprayed it on where he always uses the bathroom and he wont go near it aT ALL...Try it

StaceyB
September 18th, 2005, 09:52 AM
First get puppy checked by vet to make sure there is no health issues. Your puppy is having too much freedom in the house. They should be in whatever room you are in and supervised at all times. If you are not able to then your puppy should be in a crate or safe room. Your puppy is also beginning to make decisions on scent. Places like beds, couches, underwear, shoes are high in strong body scents. You sweat in these places. Get some baby gates so you can insure your puppy has no access to areas out of your sight. If your puppy is playing in an area out of sight and decides she has to go right then she will seek out the best place, a place with the strongest scent. This may also happen if your puppy has tried to tell someone that she needed to go and was not noticed. Many young pups are not very good at giving signals. Training with a bell would be a great way to have puppy tell you she needs outside.
Dogs don't do this out of spite. They can't physically make themselves go to the washroom because they were upset with you. There is always a reason for the accidents.

tenderfoot
September 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Could be UTI.
Could also be that she isn't potty trained yet and she thought she'd see what the response was when she peed on your stuff. Sounds like her choices were intentional and back to basics potty training is the answer.
Dogs don't do things out of vengance - that's a human trait.