Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When are adult teeth complete?

Beetlecat
September 14th, 2005, 10:22 AM
My dog is about 13 months old now, and he has a very odd looking bite. On one side, it looks normal but on the other (on the bottom) he seems to be missing a premolar but has an extra little tooth bud after his canines, where there should be a space.

Are his teeth fully emerged at this age? I thought they were finished around 8 months old.

And his gums seem to bleed easily. It was not uncommon for him to leave small blood smears when we played tug-of-war (so I don't now) but yesterday I was looking at him after a long run and game of fetch with his Kong, and he had a red rim around each tooth.

Trinitie
September 14th, 2005, 11:43 AM
What do his teeth look like? Are they beautiful white and clean? If you see tartar then it's possible he has gingivitis (sp?). There is usually a small gap behind the lower canines that a little protruding tooth will show up. As the dog gets older, this tooth seems to emerge more and more.

He may have dental problems that need attention. If his teeth seem nice and white, then I would bring him to the vet and see if there's a gum infection.

Please let us know how it goes.

Dogastrophe
September 14th, 2005, 11:48 AM
There is usually a small gap behind the lower canines that a little protruding tooth will show up. As the dog gets older, this tooth seems to emerge more and more.

My Lucy has a small protuding tooth on her lower left that is slowly coming in, while the one on her right side is a full tooth (she is now 19 mos +/-).

The problem your pup is experiencing may be nothing to be concerned about BUT may indicate something more serious. When in doubt err on the side of caution and take a trip to the vet for a checkup.

Hope all works out well.

Beetlecat
September 14th, 2005, 03:04 PM
There is usually a small gap behind the lower canines that a little protruding tooth will show up. As the dog gets older, this tooth seems to emerge more and more.

Okay, thank you. I didn't know this. In that case, he must simply be missing a premolar. He's still a young dog and his teeth are in good condition. I've been told that missing teeth usually pose no problems in dogs (unlike in humans) so I'll leave it be.

Trinitie
September 14th, 2005, 03:07 PM
The problem your pup is experiencing may be nothing to be concerned about BUT may indicate something more serious. When in doubt err on the side of caution and take a trip to the vet for a checkup.
What Dogastrophe says make very good sense. If the bleeding gums, or missing tooth, concern you, err on the side of caution. See a vet.