Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

underweight cat

nuttinfluffer
September 13th, 2005, 06:44 PM
One of my cats is really underweight. He was at the vets to be neutered prior to adoption (8 weeks ago). According to the rescue he started shedding a lot of his fur and lost alot of weight. He's nothing but skin and bones. The vet has attributed his fur/weight loss to the anestetic.

He's eating with appetite here and I want him to gain some weight. I'm feeding Nutro Complete Care which he likes. Is there anything I can give him besides treats to bulk him up. Like I said I really want to get him to a healthy weight and the weight he's at is not good.

thanks

Lucky Rescue
September 13th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Has he been tested for FIV and leukemia?

BTW, I'm sorry about your dog.:(

nuttinfluffer
September 14th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Yes, he was tested for both FIV and Leukemia and they were both negative :) He only started losing weight and fur after being neutered. I'm assuming he will start putting the weight and the fur back on once his hormones have settled down....but I would like him to start putting on the weight now. It's been 8 weeks since his neutering was done!

Thank you for your condolences.

chico2
September 14th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Nuttinfluffer,I to am sorry about your dog :sad:
Not that it matters but which one of your cats is losing weight?
If it is either Toby(Chico)or Fonz maybe it's stressrelated in some way.
Are you feeding them only dry food?
My cats get Nutro Complete Balance,but if I am not misstaken,it is a food to keep indoor cats from getting fat...?Mine also get"Chicken-soup-for-cat-lovers-soul"which they seem to like more,great ingredients and not priced over the top!
I feed mine a small can of wet food,that they split between the 3 of them twice a day,I personally believe cats need some variety,just like us humans.

nuttinfluffer
September 14th, 2005, 10:05 AM
It is Fonz but you'd never think it just by looking at him, it's when you pet him you feel his spine and each rib.

The cats are on dry food only -- neither cat likes the wet stuff and won't it eat.

In terms of the weight loss and fur loss - according to the rescue this started happening as soon as Fonz was neutered and Fonz was back to the vets before we adopted him to be checked out and the vet found nothing wrong -- just told the rescue everything will go fine, just give him time.

I guess I'll wait it out and keep weighing him. He hasn't lost any weight while with us, but he hasn't been packing on the pounds either :( I'll keep uping his food and the treats...

Lucky Rescue
September 14th, 2005, 10:21 AM
If a simple neutering can turn a cat into "skin and bones" this is something I have never heard of or seen in my life.

Have you taken him to your own vet? I would do this asap if you haven't. This is definitely abnormal. A cat who has appetite and is eating, yet losing weight must be checked for a number of things, including cancer.

justncase
September 14th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Anesthetics can cause gastrointestinal mobility problems that usually will go away on their own but sometimes it can lead to small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) which takes longer to correct and can account for continuous weight loss. Anesthetics can trigger kidney disease too, but if your cat is not exhibiting anything other than continued weight loss, then it may not be the problem.

nuttinfluffer
September 14th, 2005, 07:06 PM
I keep explaining this: Fonz IS NOT, I repeat IS NOT losing any weight since he has been with us!!!

I am asking for advice on what to feed to make him GAIN weight, period. More food, less food, canned food, more protein, less carbs???

justncase
September 14th, 2005, 07:15 PM
I keep explaining this: Fonz IS NOT, I repeat IS NOT losing any weight since he has been with us!!!

I am asking for advice on what to feed to make him GAIN weight, period. More food, less food, canned food, more protein, less carbs???

OK. Out of the choices, certainly not " less food". You could try the kitten brands of canned cat food, they have a higher fat and calorie content. Also, there's something called Nutritional Recovery by Eukanuba .

Lucky Rescue
September 14th, 2005, 07:18 PM
YOu can also try giving him Nutrical. It's loaded with calories. If he won't voluntarily take it, smear a glob on the top of each of his front paws and he'll lick it off.

nuttinfluffer
September 15th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks LuckyRescue...just got back from the store -- loaded up on lots of kitten canned food (Iams). I'll start with that and see if that helps. I'm also trying to up his protein with lots of home cooked chicken :)

I'll keep you all posted.