Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to get a dog to sneeze?

Conners
September 13th, 2005, 07:23 PM
While I was out for the day at the London City Hall meeting, Shasta got into a container of peanuts I feed to my squirrel critters outside. The peanuts are coming out one end (no need to say which) , but she must have snorted some of the thin brown outter skin into her nose. Now she has periods of snorting sessions. I was going to take her to the vet until I found out why she was having these snorting sessions. Does anyone know what I can do to either make her sneeze or clear her nostrils somehow?

Trinitie
September 14th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Hmmm. If the dog inhaled peanut skin into the sinus cavity, then the vet may have to be asked to clean them out for you. If him sneezing on his own doesn't do the trick, then the vet will have to be consulted.

Conners
September 14th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Hmmm. If the dog inhaled peanut skin into the sinus cavity, then the vet may have to be asked to clean them out for you. If him sneezing on his own doesn't do the trick, then the vet will have to be consulted.
I was hoping that I could get her to sneeze as yes it's in the sinus's as you can tell from her eyes. I've tried rubbing the sinus' and even tried to suck at both nostril one at a time. She isn't her perky self. I'm scared to use any of my allergy/sinus sprays that work for me, but they are prescription.
Her snorting would only lodge it further in and id somehow I could get her to sneeze, perhaps she would blow them out. This is the 4th day now and not a laughing matter.
Have you heard of sprays for dogs? I'd like to try a home remedy first before taking her to the vet as I don't have a vehicle and hard to get there...but I will if I really need her there.

happycats
September 14th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Pour some black peper in your hand and let her smell it. (make sure she doesn't inhale it) that should make her sneeze :)

or tickle her nose with a feather.

Trinitie
September 14th, 2005, 12:40 PM
First off, sorry. I didn't mean to call your girl a boy!

You're right. I wouldn't use human nose sprays without the vet okaying it first.

The black pepper and feather may just work. If it doesn't though, you may want to just call your vet and see what (s)he says. There may be something else we're not thinking of.

(by the way, you're a braver person than I - sucking on your dog's nose and all!) :yuck:

Dogastrophe
September 14th, 2005, 12:43 PM
A while back Lucy got into some chair stuffing fibres. Following this we noticed that she was snorting. Thinking that she may have inhaled some of the fibres we took her to the vet only to find out that she picked up a slight case of cold / kennel cough (cpl days of medication cleared it up) and not related to getting her nose into the chair stuffing . It may be that it is purely a coincidence. Best to schedule a checkup just to be sure.

As for creating a sneeze, I notice that all mine will sneeze if they run into something nose on (like into my legs, a ball, etc). Not entirely sure how you can safely replicate this. Maybe play ball and hope that she misses one and takes an easy shot to the nose?

Conners
September 14th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I don't have a feather, but I do have pepper. How do I get her to sniff the pepper without inhaling it. Look at the size of her cute nostrols. I could put a straw in it. (to show you size wise, not that I would do it) Do you mean rub it on my hand then shake it off and make her smell?
She's had all her shots and even the one for kennel cough. When a whole big container of unshelled peanuts go missing and you know the cats won't eat them, plus evidence all led out of Shasta...I KNOW she's the peanuts eatter.

happycats
September 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Maybe try letting her sniff the pepper shaker (the top) that way she can't inhale any . try shaking the it first to make it good and smelly :)

Conners
September 14th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I just did that with no results, so I wondered if maybe you couldn't smell it. Now my nose is burning and sniffling, no sneeze, but at least I have spray and I can feel as sneeze coming on but won't come out. *sigh*
Next I went outside and a feathered friend had left a couple of presents. I tickled her nose and thought it was going to work, but instead she inhales and starts the snorting again.
So my sinus' are cleared, but looks like I will have to phone the vet to see what he suggests.
Man, with all the proposed bylaw of London are wanting us to pay (unless we changed their minds yesterday) and a vet bill to boot...I won't be eating for the next 3 months. :(

justncase
September 14th, 2005, 06:19 PM
This link may help you

www.seefido.com/html/sneeze.htm

Sometimes letting them sniff perfume or aftershave works too.

Conners
September 14th, 2005, 06:59 PM
This link may help you

www.seefido.com/html/sneeze.htm

Sometimes letting them sniff perfume or aftershave works too.
Ok...she hasn't sneezed yet, but close to it. Meanwhile I just got a face wash with her tongue. I'll keep trying and try the other things too. I was sure there was a very close sneeze approaching. I'll let you know what happens! :thumbs up

Conners
September 14th, 2005, 09:12 PM
She doesn't seem to be snorting as much, but it's really effecting her and there is continual goop coming from her tear ducs. I'm phoning the vet tomorrow morning if she hasn't sneezed it out by then. She isn't her usual self and just laying on the bed all day. I can't bare to see her like this. Will let you know what happens.

dmc123
September 14th, 2005, 09:21 PM
doubt this will help, but will share it anyway......

Rudy sneezes everytime he eats a popsicle..........right on cue!

Maybe a little brain freeze or something, but he sneezes, then jumps on the couch to rub his face, LOL.

Good luck to you and your dog.
Diane

Conners
September 14th, 2005, 09:31 PM
doubt this will help, but will share it anyway......

Rudy sneezes everytime he eats a popsicle..........right on cue!

Maybe a little brain freeze or something, but he sneezes, then jumps on the couch to rub his face, LOL.

Good luck to you and your dog.
Diane
I think her sinus' are so clogged up she isn't smeling much of anything. My brain is all ceased up from all the fighting against the bylaw that I can't even think of what makes her sneeze. :confused: :confused: :confused: I've tried all the eveyone has suggested except the popcicle cuz I don't have any, and ice cubes don't make her sneeze. I appreciate all the suggestions that everyone has given me.
It's like having a 2 - 3 year old child and I feel like such a bad Mommy right now. I had a lid on the container, but I should have put it away where I normally do. Now my baby is suffering because of my stupidity.
I know it's not really my fault. I just feel so bad that she feels so bad that I have to blame someone and I'm the only one here other than the cats, Shasta and me. I'm the adult and now my baby is sick. :sick: :sad: I'll let you know in the morning whether I had to bring her in or not. I know it's not life threatening, but she just looks so darn sad. :sad:

Conners
September 15th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I phoned the vet today. They told me not to worry unless problems such as bleeding from the nose occurs or her stopping her food and water. They say she will eventually blow it out on her own just as we would if we had dust particles in our sinus'. I know I've had that happen to me and it lasted a week, so I will be watching her very carefully.
Thank you all for your suggestions. Like the vet said, leave it alone or it could get it lodged in further and then a real problem could accur.

StaceyB
September 15th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Why not try a baby snot sucker.
Did you tell the vet all the symptoms you have mentioned here.

Conners
September 15th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Why not try a baby snot sucker.
Did you tell the vet all the symptoms you have mentioned here.
I explained in detail and today I have only heard her snort once for a short time and kind of a sneeze. Not much of one, but a sneeze no less. If there is one, there will be more.
Besides, the only baby I have is her, so I don't have one of those snot sucker uppers. I tried to suck on one nostrol at a time yesterday and think I have more power than one of those. LOL
I'll do what the vet told me to do and maybe tickle her nose occationally with the feather our wild life left us. Isn't that something though? I didn't have a feather, then go outside and find 2. We're being looked out for...and bet she won't go after the birds peanuts anymore.