Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Would like a small dog, but am confused

Gloworm
September 13th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Hey, folks. I hear a lot about how it is unethical to buy from certain breeders and from pet stores, and how it is best to adopt a dog because many are killed each year. I am in complete agreement that it is important to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

But in my search for a small dog, I have found that it isn't as easy as it would seem. All of the shelters I have called within a two hour radius of where I live (Kingston, ON) have been telling me that small dogs of good temperament rarely end up in shelters unless they have health issues. I really like shih tzus, lhasa apso's, and other similar "lap" dogs. I'm not looking for a purebred or anything, but simply a nice, sweet, small sized dog for an apartment that doesn't bark too much. I would like the dog to be a little bit on the calmer side rather than the hyper side. Fluffier ones make my heart melt.

I am willing to foster or adopt (and I do realize that these are two very different situations!), but I just feel like there aren't that many options out there. I don't need a puppy and would in fact enjoy a dog that has a few miles on him (but if it is for adoption, I don't want a really really elderly one, either). I'm really wanting to share my time and space with a little furry beast!

Does anyone have any advice?

Roxy's_MA
September 13th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Do you check www.petfinder.com

Roxy's_MA
September 13th, 2005, 12:48 PM
I just checked, and there appears to be a few small dogs. Petfinder has not only shelters, but rescues that are specific to certain small breeds. The yorkie rescue looks like thay have a few for adoption.

Good luck finding a little friend!

SpanielLuver
September 13th, 2005, 01:43 PM
The reason why you don't find many small dogs in the rescues is because we have waiting lists for these dogs. Animatch in Montreal takes all the small dogs we hear about freeing us up for the larger dogs and they are adopted very quickly. Took a small chocolate poodle to them last night, and I am sure he will be adopted before the end of the week.

You need to complete the rescue's adoption application and start the process so you are at least on the waiting list, assuming the applicant is approved for adoption, and you will get a call before the dog gets on the website. Hope that helps a little.

All the small dogs we have taken in or transported to other rescues have been fabulous temperaments without health problems so please don't believe that the ones at the shelters are not good for adoption. They are usually very scared, as with the poodle I took yesterday but I brought him to work and a few collegues visited him and in 10 mins he was giving kisses to everyone once he had calmed down from a highly stressful situtation he had been in. Its hard for thm being with the large dogs who are barking in shelters, or pounds, etc.

Gloworm
September 13th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was aware of Petfinder. That was mainly where I was doing my searching. You're right, there are a couple of yorkies on there that appear to be still available.

Also, thanks for the heads up on Animatch and on the waiting lists. I was not aware of this website, and I really like the idea of them matching the dog up to just the right person. Very, very cool! I'm so glad I found this forum.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please keep them coming...I'm all ears! I'm particularly interested in any shelter sites such as Animatch that I haven't heard of.

poodletalk
September 13th, 2005, 02:30 PM
If you are open minded to driving to Animatch which is in Montreal, take a look at the SPCA Monteregie which is also in Montreal. Right now, the SPCA Monteregie (The laregest no kill SPCA in the Province of Quebec) houses over 250 dogs 75 cats. If you take a look at their website, www.spcamonteregie.com you will see they have small dogs available as well. (Not all animals are on the website) Either way, if you adopt from Animatch, SPCA Monteregie or another SPCA or rescue group, you are saving a life.

These cuties are looking for a home!

SpanielLuver
September 13th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I agree with Poodletalk about the SPCA Monteregie, we refer people there too. They do a great job and all the dogs I have met that have been adopted from there have been great. Sorry forgot to mention them in last post.

Gloworm
September 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Okay guys, I've started filling out an adoption application from Animatch because I really like the way they try to match owner to dog.

One question on the form still confounds me, though. It asks for a personal reference. What kind of reference would be a good one? I will be a first time dog owner and I don't really know what to put down. I mean, I have a lot of friends, etc. who can vouch for me being a responsible, stable, and caring person generally, but nothing that's really dog specific.

Lucky Rescue
September 14th, 2005, 05:28 PM
I mean, I have a lot of friends, etc. who can vouch for me being a responsible, stable, and caring person generally, but nothing that's really dog specific.

I dont' know if Animatch does long distance adoptions, but if they do, that's the kind of information they would want!:)

Gloworm
September 14th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the information, Lucky. I have chosen a close friend as a reference based on your response.

I hope that they will consider adopting a dog out to someone in Kingston. We are within driving distance to Montreal, so we could meet the Animatch people and the dog in person, but you never know if they have a policy regarding distance. There is no such policy listed on their website, to my knowledge, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I guess I'll know soon because I just sent them the completed application.

happycats
September 14th, 2005, 08:41 PM
here are some. fluffy ones. :)
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4765105&adTarget=&SessionID=4328d0b23229721b-app3&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5070808&adTarget=&SessionID=4328d10d67345c0b-app5&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=A
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4765017&adTarget=&SessionID=4328d4d46a22e315-app3&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

mesaana
September 15th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Maybe you could check out Daisy and Tao:
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Shelterid=QC07&preview=1

Lyne

Gloworm
September 16th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Lyne: I also had my eye on those two dogs. It would appear that Daisy is already spoken for, but Tao is still available. Those are two very cute dogs!

I had good news last night. Animatch is considering my application and is going to try to match me up with a small dog! I talked to a very nice and knowledgeable adoption volunteer who called me last night and talked to me for quite a while. I am so impressed with this organization's prompt response, their prefessionalism and with how they seem to ask all of the right questions. The volunteer knew that this would be my first dog, and she gave me all sorts of good advice. I told her that I had heard the waiting list could be long, but she said I would have a dog sooner rather than later because I'm just looking for something small and fluffy (no strong breed preference), I don't have a colour preference, and I'm willing to adopt a dog who is a little older. She said that, for example, if you apply looking for a pure bred bichon frisť under two years old, you may or may not ever get a match, but that my application was open enough that they wouldn't have any trouble.

Thanks go out to all who have replied to my questions in this thread. You guys are the best. I'll defninitely let you know how things turn out! I assume we're allowed to post pictures of our pets?

SarahLynn123
September 20th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I assume we're allowed to post pictures of our pets?

It is the law around here that you must must must post pictures of your pets!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heidiho
September 20th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Those dachshunds are to die for..............

Gloworm
September 21st, 2005, 08:09 AM
Yeah, they are pretty cute! I've got to go one dog at a time, though, being a first timer and all. But someone else definitely needs to snatch them up.

SarahLynn, as soon as I have a pet to post I'll be sure to do it! I'm on a waiting list, and I have to be honest: waiting is harder than I thought it would be. Every morning I wake up thinking, gee, I wish there was a furry beast around here already...

poodletalk
September 21st, 2005, 08:59 AM
Animatch is a great organization, but SPCA Monteregie has some very cute laso for adoption as well. This is Chico, he's nine months and he's waiting for a home.

SnowDancer
September 21st, 2005, 09:18 AM
Perhaps Toonces would know of a small dog - she is based in Belleville which wouldn't be too far from Kingston. I think she rescues big dogs as a rule, but I am sure she must come across small dogs as well. Re barking - I have had 7 mini Dachshunds, a Beagle, a Lhasa, and now an American Eskimo (22 lbs. full grown). They were/are all barkers except the Lhasa. Particularly the Alert and Protect Dachshunds, the Beagle, and the Alert and Mommy Protect Me Eskimo. The Dachshunds in the posting are adorable and break my heart - but there is a reason I now have an Eskimo - 2 worst cases of Dachshund disease. Dachshunds are Dobes in disguise - at least mine were - Alpha, but Benevolent. Although I have noticed a trend in Dachshunds currently being bred - they are much more docile so perhaps barking would not be as much of an issue - but living in an apartment, I would worry about that. I like the Alpha type - as the little guy who was one of 2 dogs who survived the convention centre in New Orleans must be.

Lucky Rescue
September 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM
Poodletalk, I can't believe that adorable little Lhasa (looks exactly like our Muffin) is not adopted! Lhasas are lovely dogs - small, but with "big dog" personality.

I would also not recommend a Dachshund for a first time dog owner. They may look comical, but remember they were bred to hunt ferocious badgers and are pretty tough customers themselves!

poodletalk
September 21st, 2005, 03:38 PM
I just found out, he got adopted. But, there's another one just came in. He's 1.5 years old, male, white with beige. I don't have a picture of him yet, but I am sure he's a cutie!

Gloworm
September 21st, 2005, 03:44 PM
Animatch is a great organization, but SPCA Monteregie has some very cute laso for adoption as well. This is Chico, he's nine months and he's waiting for a home.

Chico is too cute! He's looks exactly like the kind I'm looking for.

One of the big reasons that I settled on Animatch is how comfortable the volunteer made me feel. I really feel like she "gets" me, you know? I'll be a first time dog owner, so I'm nervous. I have a few things that I'm looking for in a dog--small, probably fluffy, fairly easy going (because I'm new to this!), can be left at home for about four hours or so, no known separation anxiety, affectionate lap dog type), and the volunteer at Animatch made me feel like she not only understands what I'm looking for, but she also understands the temperaments/needs/habits of the dogs she and the others at the organization assign to people.

Of course, the whole point of this is to get the right dog, and if the right dog is elsewhere, then I should be open to that. On the other hand, I'm almost a little afraid to branch out now because what if this one waiting list is where I'm meant to be? Hope that makes sense and that I don't sound silly.

doggy lover
September 21st, 2005, 04:25 PM
Oh I want Dino and Betty, I'm in love, my favorite breed BMD's, if I could I would. Only BMD lover understands where I'm comming from. Too bad you don't want a big dog, they are such couch potatoes, I really miss my big doggy. Just think of a big lug to cuddle up too on the couch, someone to keep you warm on a cold night. One day I'll get another big baby.