Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shall I believe there is a kill-it-all medication to deworm my kitten???

Madeleine
September 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for the rapid response to my inquiry yesterday(see below).

However, because I don't know how much it will cost me to send the kitten to a vet hospital, the friend who gave me the kitten said she will give me some medication which kills all worms. She said she got it from the vet and 'this medication will not hurt the kittens and will kill all worms. This is what I use on all my cats.'

My question is if there is a kill-it-all 'omnipotent' deworm capsule nowadays in the veterinary field to prescribe to cat owner?

Many thanks.

Madeleine

----------------------------------------------
Hi doctor,

I recently got a 2-month-old female barn-born kitten. I soon found she always has a bit of poo around her anus so I have to wash her behind every night. She's happy, curious and energetic all the time. I suspected it might be a worm problem because she has kind of a 'sturdy' swollen belly and her fur is not so sleek as my other cat, her hair is felt a bit rough. So I went to a pet store and bought a medication treating roundworm two days ago, but the symptom remained so far.

Could you kindly give me some clue on what condition my kitten might have. Thanks.

Madeleine

Senior Contributor VIP answers:

You don't know what kind of worms your kitten has, and sadly, you wasted your money. Pet store meds will not kill these worms, and you must go to the vet. Bring a stool sample with you.

A kitten born in a barn undoubtedly has worms, and should be seen by the vet anyway to check general health and make sure it's free of fleas and earmites as well. Your description of the big belly and poor coat is in keeping with worms.

Going to the vet right away will save you money in the long run, not to mention that some pet store meds can be very harmful for animals.
--------------------------------------------------------

Prin
September 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Why not ask the vet first? A consult is $30-50. Ask him what the procedure is, then, if your friend's drugs are the same as the vet suggests, (and they have been stored properly etc- badly stored/expired meds can kill), then decide what path you will choose.

Puppyluv
September 13th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Just like you shouldn't take medications you get from a friend without seeing a doctor, you shouldn't give your cat medications from a friend, without seeing a vet. As Prin said, the consult isn't too pricy, and it doesn't require a commitment to buying expensive meds. Your kitten will be better in the longrun for going to the vet.

Trinitie
September 13th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Agree with other member's posts so far. It would be best if your kitten were seen by a vet, as the costs shouldn't be that expensive and could end up saving the kitten's life.

You may end up paying for more medical costs because of lack of proper treatment, than it would cost for the proper exams and tests.

Any animal, living with worms too long, could have more physical damage than you think. High blood pressure, caused by internal pressure of the full abdomen, can cause eye damage or possible blindness. That's not to say your kitten will have that happen, but living too long with those parasites can deprive the body of much needed nutrients.

It may be possible that your kitten doesn't have roundworm. It may be tapeworm, hookworm, whipworm, or other types of worms. Anything that's described as a "kill all" sounds very dangerous to use on such a young kitten. Seeing a vet will diagnose the proper infestation and will result in the proper medication being administered.

Please do seek medical advice from a licensed vet.

Lucky Rescue
September 13th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Many dewormers, like tapeworm meds, go according to the animal's weight. Meds meant for a 15 lb cat could harm a tiny kitten.

Animals need to see the vet - if not now, then later. Pets cost money, if we are to care for them properly. Going to the vet is part of pet ownership and anyone who doesn't want to spend any money for a vet shouldn't get a pet. I don't mean to be harsh, but have seen the consequences of people waiting too long or refusing to go at all.

Your kitten will have to have a vet exam before being spayed, so you may as well have it done now, before the problem gets worse and costs more.

nymph
September 13th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Isn't this the 3rd time you've posted the same question on this board? :confused:

People have repeatedly informed you that your kitten needs to be seen by a vet, what exactly do you expect the members to respond here?

My vet charges about $51 for consultation and about $30 for one Revolution topical (a deworming medication). Let me know if you need to find a vet. I live in the West end of Ottawa.

Prin
September 13th, 2005, 03:04 PM
She just double posted it. A regular newbie mistake. No big deal.

nymph
September 13th, 2005, 03:06 PM
No Prin, these are the ones I was referring to:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19467
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19464

Prin
September 13th, 2005, 08:54 PM
One thread asks what does she have, and then there's a duplicate, and then the second asks is there an all around dewormer, and then a duplicate. No big deal.

Trinitie
September 14th, 2005, 10:03 AM
I've corrected the number of posts. It was kind of redundant.