Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bichon Frise, Luxating Patella & Calcium

JazzyATL
September 12th, 2005, 06:50 PM
I have a wonderful 2 year old Bichon who has, in the last 6 months, developed a luxating patella ( or a knee which slides out of it's socket). Upon recent conversation with my breeder, she suggested a combination of calcium and magnesium supplements to attempt to let the dogs situation heal itself naturally as opposed to a costly $1400. surgery to correct the problem.

If I have to go the surgery route I will...but her suggestion is interesting. My question is:
What is the right amount of Calcium and Magnesium to feed my 12lb. Bichon on a daily basis to begin to strenthen his bones?

Thanks In Advance....

Jeff

Lucky Rescue
September 12th, 2005, 08:45 PM
What does your vet say? What grade of luxation does your dog have? This condition can be caused by trauma, but is often genetic, due to people breeding dogs with this condition.

IF your dog's condition is genetic, it's due to a malformation of the leg and no calcium is going to make it "heal itself."

shannonRN
September 13th, 2005, 12:40 PM
It sounds like your pup has been vet-diagnosed and the vet has told you about surgery. Did you ask for alternatives? Your vet should be the one to do the prescribing and to tell you how much.

The problem has nothing to do with weak bones. Here's a link to give you some info. patellar luxation in dogs (http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/health/patellar.htm)

My vet however told me for my cat with luxating patellas to use a supplement called Arthrimaxx that contains glucosamine, chondroitin, vitC, taurine, manganese. It won't cure the problem, which is that repeated friction on the cartilage wears it away and it no longer can cushion the bones. (Painful) Connective tissues are very slow to regenerate in any case, but even more so when there is repeated trauma as in patellar luxation. Glucosamine and chondroitin can help to slow the damage or to help regenerate the cartilage to some degree--making it more comfortable for the critter. (The other additives are more for urinary health--unrelated bonus)

I also was told that surgery may be needed eventually but was recommended to try this in the meantime and have had very good results over a 5 week period. That being said, be careful whose advice you follow, including mine! There are many G/C supplements available OTC but I personally would not recommend giving anything to a pet without a vet's okay. Not everything in the pet aisle at the store is safe for them.

justncase
September 14th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Are your sure your dog has luxating patellas ?The same symptoms as luxating patellas can also occur if both cruciate ligaments are ruptured at
approximately the same time. If the symptoms are due to ruptured cruciate ligaments the dog usually gets better over time, if due to luxating patellas, the symptoms will worsen.