Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

barkbusters

mars
September 12th, 2005, 04:03 PM
i'm thinking of taking them on as i need my dog to be trained. he's focused away from me on leash, can be aggressive with children and random people. has anyone ever used them or their method, and if so, would you recommend it? i'm just thinking about what it will be like when i hire a dog walker, if they'd have to practice this method also. can anyone advise me as to whether or not i should go for this? i'm meant to meet with them on saturday.

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 04:15 PM
I am pretty sure that this is the same one that one of my students had called. She said that they were going to meet with her for 3 hours at her home(the issues he has are not at home), then they were to come back 3 or 4 wks later to evaluate and with this they were going to guarantee his behaviour to be sound for life.
It all seemed a little sketchy to me. I don't know if the one you are seeing is any different.

mars
September 12th, 2005, 06:42 PM
yeah, that's the same one. :confused:

mars
September 12th, 2005, 06:46 PM
do you have any suggestions? i also spoke with a behaviorist called nathan penny in toronto. his methods don't include barking.

tenderfoot
September 12th, 2005, 07:23 PM
From what I know of the Bark Busters here is that they subscribe to the same methods (franchise), but basically a person can simply buy the franchise and go into business. I do not know what the requirements are for their experience level or training in order to be certified by BB.

We get some of their clients calling us saying that after they spent goobs of money for their life time guarantee the trainers didn't show much interest after the first lesson. I am sure it depends on the individual franchisee, but I think they are asking a lot of $ up front, and you can't be sure how well it will be backed up. The BB in your area might be awesome or not - I just get nervous with the big chunk of $ up front before you know.

I do not understand why a behaviorist would not work on barking. Dogs bark - its a behavior - did they not cover that in behavior school? I am sorry but I feel strongly that to be a trainer or 'behaviorist' means you understand and work with the whole package and barking is part of that package.

Other than that I am zero help because I don't know Toronto.

mars
September 12th, 2005, 07:33 PM
oh, i meant that his method doesn't include the handler barking. when i was on the phone with the bb woman, i heard her bark at her dog to get her dog to stop barking. :rolleyes: so her method of training involved barking to the dog. i just meant that the guy i talked to doesn't use barking as a training technique. well, anyway, now i'm convined that i should cancel the appointment.

tenderfoot
September 12th, 2005, 08:02 PM
OH MY G-D! People had told me that the BB people actually told people to bark at their dogs and I thought they were kidding. Wow. I am astounded. Okay now the other guy makes way more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

BMDLuver
September 12th, 2005, 08:18 PM
They also wish you to growl at your dog. They were discussed at length on my Berner list and it was not a glowing recommendation.

Writing4Fun
September 12th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Oh, but their classes must be an absolute blast to watch! :crazy: :D

BMDLuver
September 12th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Oh, but their classes must be an absolute blast to watch! :crazy: :D
lol, it's private one on one so can you imagine if your husband or sig other came home and you're in the living room with a stranger growling? :D

Writing4Fun
September 12th, 2005, 08:24 PM
:eek: That'd be grounds for divorce!! :eek: :p

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Here is a perfect example if these are certified through Bark busters that certification may be worth zip depending on where it was from. By all definitions I am classified as a behaviourist but I see myself as just a trainer.

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 08:27 PM
This thread has put a smile on my face. I pictured dog, owner, trainer all barking in tune. Kind of like singing a song.

Writing4Fun
September 12th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Like the jail scene from Lady & The Tramp? :p

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Dog standing on back legs taking the lead role while the people sing(bark) backup.

mars
September 12th, 2005, 08:58 PM
ha! yeah, i don't think i want to partake. i just got off the phone with a lovely woman who works for the leash-free parks in mississauga. totally out of working hours she called me from home returning a message i had left at her work and we were on the phone for over an hour. she was very helpful and agreed that the bb method sounds a bit odd. so that's it for that. it's quite a lot of money to give all at once for a method that isn't even discussed with you first, it's a good thing her dog got out of line while she was on the phone with me. you pay and if you dont' like it, then it's too bad i guess. so i'm turned off it, thanks everyone for your help. i'll look into some of the places recommended to me by the woman i just spoke to and will also look for an agility class to cater to the border collie in ben. i like the sounds of this much better!

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 09:09 PM
All I can say is check each of them out throughly before you choose one.

mars
September 13th, 2005, 07:37 AM
i will. i get too caught up and have to control that. i should make a point of calling places to get information and then ending the call rather than booking! i left a message at bb saying i changed my mind.

LL1
September 13th, 2005, 10:27 AM
I know a woman from Doxie rescue in Ontario used Bark Busters and was very happy with the results,and does recommend them highly to everyone.

tenderfoot
September 13th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Hi StaceyB - I have always considered a quality behaviorist to be a trainer and visa versa - I don't think they should or can be mutually exclusive. So we should come up with our own term - now I am not feeling terribly creative this morning (broken foot still hurts), but I bet the amazingly creative people out there could come up with some dandies. Prin? Schwinn? Any ideas?

Betrainerist? :o okay VERY lame I admit, it's just to get the ball rolling.

StaceyB
September 13th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Can't say this is very creative but here it goes. Professional canine attitude adjustment trainer.
Wow, that's a mouthful.

Coldwetnose
September 13th, 2005, 11:41 AM
A PCAAT? sounds too feline.

How about.....Human leadership adjustment coach. But thats a HLAC or Humleadco and it's not cute or funny! Darn.

Tenderfoot - sorry about your foot, but it seems you might have broken your funny bone too :D . We aren't getting any humdingers here.

tenderfoot
September 13th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I never claimed to be funny that's everyone else's job - I just come here to giggle at some of the great remarks people have. Just you wait until Prin or Schwinn start thinking.

canis
September 16th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Just going to add my 2 cents on the Bark Buster stuff...there is a lady in my office who has Maltese, it fits in her hand for Pete's sake. Anyhow it's spoiled to death and not surprisingly it has some undesirable behaviours. They didn't do any kind of training with this dog. Anyhow recently they decided the dog who is 3 now, needed some discipline and yes you guessed it they hired BB.

This "therapist" comes to their home teaches them to growl at their dog and then suggests putting a choke collar on a 6lb dog to take it for walks. First question I asked was "why". Well it appears the dog has fear issues when it meets other dogs. A choke is supposed to help that I asked? I don't see how. The long and the short of it was I let her tell me all about it and didn't make any further comments. Sometimes it's better not to say anything. My personal conclusion based on my conversation with this woman was that this organization encouraged negative reinforcements - not my cup of tea and it wouldn't work for my 3 Border collies.

Canis

mars
September 16th, 2005, 02:49 PM
well good thing i cancelled! ben is border/collie lab, and i hate yanking on the leash. i have a training collar, along the lines of the spikey ones only it's plastic, but i can't even bring myself to use that let alone a choke collar. i would have been pretty p.o.'d if i'd spent all that money only to be told to choke my dog. i'm in the process of trying to find a trainer, and so far the two i've called haven't called me back! one of them in particular lists on her website that her training is humane and etc. i'd like to end up at a training facility that doesn't promote yanking, but communication resulting in ben being a willing participant. thanks for all of your advice. i'll have saved minimum half of what i would have spent at bb's when i go to any other facility. i just feel sorry for the little maltese and his little neck! poor little pup!

StaceyB
September 16th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Be careful with that collar you have, it actually hurts more than a prong(metal) because the prongs on the plastic one don't sit on much of an angle. You can do this without leash corrections.

mars
September 16th, 2005, 06:49 PM
yeah, i don't actually use it. i tried it only a couple of times and although it does work, i didn't feel comfortable using it. i'm trying to use heel without yanking, because i hate having to pull and also i find yanking and pulling doesn't actually work longterm with him as i end up having to pull him repeatedly. so instead today i started a new approach. when he starts to get ahead of me, i stop walking until he comes back to me and sits by my side. he was pretty good too! i of course had to gently guide him back to my side quite a few times but he also came back on his own a few times! so i'm learning! if you have any suggestions on that method or any others you think might be more effective, i'd appreciate them!

StaceyB
September 16th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Check your pm

mars
September 17th, 2005, 03:07 PM
what's a pm?

mars
September 17th, 2005, 03:09 PM
oh!!! i got it now, my first one. :D