Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hartz, any good stuff about them

melz
September 12th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I'm now worried, I went at the pets store yesterday and having full confidence in what they told me, I bought the Hartz shampoo, flea colar and home sprays for my flea problem.

The person working there said that it worked like a charm on her pets and wasn't harmfull at all for them and she recommended them.

So I bought. But now I find all these posts, articles and websites talking about how Hartz is harmful for pets. I'm now in panic mode cause my dog is currently wearing the colar. I want to leave work but I can't my boss won't allow it.

I'm scared of what this could do to him. Can someone please post positive stuff or offer advice? I have 2 hours of work left and i can't leave!! :(

BMDLuver
September 12th, 2005, 02:58 PM
For all the money you spent on petstore products, you could have purchased Advantage from your vet at about 1/3rd the combined cost.

melz
September 12th, 2005, 05:27 PM
ok probably a stupid move on my part but its my first time dealing with this, so I did what was first recommended to me during my moment of panic.

Live and learn I suppose! Its why I came here today to get your advice.

Besides, I called my vet today. She said that advantage would of helped with the dog but if I had a flea infestation in the apartment itself I would of still had to spend money on products to rid them of my home.

I'm going to go get some advantage on Friday, the vet had to order it in since it is end of season - so she said. I'll have a 3 pack instead of a 6 pack. lol I'll know better next year! :fingerscr

PS. came back home early from work to remove my dog's flea colar. After reading what I did, I'm not so sure I like Hartz products.

lezzpezz
September 12th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I experienced, (well, my cat did!), an awful experience with Hartz store-bought flea medication drops for cats. Years ago, I put some on one of my cats, as per the instructions, and she went into total spastic fit mode!! Apparently, the chemicals in the drops can go directly to the cats nervous system and cause the cat to have a melt down :eek: She went ballistic! I mean freaky-crazy, bouncing off the walls, ripping the furniture, drooling, the works! I caught her and immediately washed the crap off of her and she settled right down. NEVER AGAIN!! To think that I fried her brain by applying what I thought was a safe and reliable product!

I now only purchase stuff from a veterinarian. It is cheaper in the long run...think about it: and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure......If you begin a flea prevention program BEFORE your pet has fleas, (in the spring,depending on your flea season where you live), you won't have to purchase all of the other stuff to try to rid your place and your pet of them! I have not had a flea problem in years, on the pets or in the home, as all of my cats and dogs are on appropriate stuff from the vet! Live and learn :rolleyes:

Roxy's_MA
September 12th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Well, I use the hairball remedy from hartz. So far I have not had any bad experiences with it. I think after reading the above post I will check what my vet carries next time I am there.

lezzpezz
September 12th, 2005, 07:07 PM
probably wouldn't hurt to compare the labels of the Hartz stuff with the better stuff carried at your vet. The oral stuff may be okay, but the chemical crap is not anything I would recommend to anybody :yuck:

justncase
September 14th, 2005, 09:16 PM
The Hartz brand of flea and tick sprays is to be pulled off the market by March 2006 because it has been linked with too many deaths in cats.

melz
September 15th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I've used the Hartz on spot before because it was recommended to me. Mozart went crazy, crawling on the floors, rubbing himself on our couch and whatnot. This was a while ago. he does this with dog "perfume" i just thought it was another of his "ewww what's this girly stuff you sprayed on me" fits. but those usually ends after a couple of mins and with the hartz stuff it was non-stop. I hosed him down and he was back to normal.

I think that was a pretty good hint that some hartz products aren't really safe. (this happened in early summer - Moe's had enough flea treatements this week. heh.. I have to bathe him again when the exterminator will be coming over for my flea problem. Poor guy.