Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my kitten always has bit of poo around its anus.

Madeleine
September 12th, 2005, 02:34 PM
:angel: Hi doctor,

I recently got a 2-month-old female barn-born kitten. I soon found she always has a bit of poo around her anus so I have to wash her behind every night. She's happy, curious and energetic all the time. I suspected it might be a worm problem because she has kind of a 'sturdy' swollen belly and her fur is not so sleek as my other cat, her hair is felt a bit rough. So I went to a pet store and bought a medication treating roundworm two days ago, but the symptom remained so far.

Could you kindly give me some clue on what condition my kitten might have. Thanks.

Madeleine

Lucky Rescue
September 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM
So I went to a pet store and bought a medication treating roundworm two days ago, but the symptom remained so far.

You don't know what kind of worms your kitten has, and sadly, you wasted your money. Pet store meds will not kill these worms, and you must go to the vet. Bring a stool sample with you.

A kitten born in a barn undoubtedly has worms, and should be seen by the vet anyway to check general health and make sure it's free of fleas and earmites as well. Your description of the big belly and poor coat is in keeping with worms.

Going to the vet right away will save you money in the long run, not to mention that some pet store meds can be very harmful for animals.