Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat - Matted Fur - Grooming Advice

knikki2000
September 12th, 2005, 01:31 PM
We have a long hair cat with a double coat. He generally loves grooming, but still gets matted even with regular (daily or every other day) combing and brushing. We have been taking him to the vet to get a lion cut about once a year, but they do this with sedation because he is very scared of leaving the house and barely tolerates his yearly check-up and shots. Becuase of his fears, we do not want to take him to a regular groomer, but was also would like to not have to have him sedated once or twice a year if we can avoid it.

We bought pet clippers, and he is not scared by the sounds, but clearly the ones we bought are not the correct kind for his coat. We have since done reseach and discovered that we should probably be using a skip tooth or wide tooth type blade. Problem is that the clippers we bought do not have an interchangeable blade. We do not have a problem buying another pair, but we do have somewhat limited fund and do not want to spend the money until we know we are buying the right clippers for the job.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what type of clippers we should be buying? Brand? Blade Type?

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 01:43 PM
The pet clippers are not designed to do a full body groom. These are for very small trims like sanitary, face, etc. They are not fast enough. If you are grooming the whole cat you will require a professional style like the oster a-5. When it is time to clip the cat just do a rough clip. Just remove the matted areas and then bath, blowdry and brush the cat before clipping. Clipping a dirty coat will be more difficult and dull the blades. With any set you will need Kool lube, to cool the blade while you are using it. You will also need blade cleaner.
What kind of brushes and combs have you been using.

knikki2000
September 12th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Gee...We have used almost all brushes an combs that exsits. We have wide and narrow tooth combs, a variety of brushes, a dematting rake thing, I really can't even tell you what all we have.

We asked the bet about it because he does get matted so easy. The vet said that it appears that he does not groom himself properly (which is true, we almost never see him cleaning himself). Because of this, no matter how much we groom him we will likely never be able to stay ahead of all of the mats. We are not able to bath him with water and a shampoo, but we can use a foam type waterless shampoo on him.

Thank you for the advice. The Oster A-5 is one of the clipper we had been looking at. I see there is the Golden and Turbo Does anyone know the difference? Also should we go with the single speed or would it be worth the extra $20-30 to get the dual speed?

Sorry for so many questions, but we want to do what's best for our cat and not make a stupid purchase (again).

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM
You may never use the double speed so just get the single. The golden will also be fine. The fact that the cat is not being bathed will also have a lot to do with the matting. You can bath the cat and if you are worried about scratching and biting you can use an e-collar to stop biting and you can tape up the paws to keep him from scratching you.
Don't pour water over the head or set the cat into a tub of water. Either use a bathing hose or cup. Wet the cat, turn off water, lather with shampoo, turn on water(just over luke warm), rinse very well, turn off water. Towel dry as much as you can, the dryer you can get him the better it will be for you. You can blow dry on cool setting while you brush. This will actually separate the hair and lessen the chance of matting. It will also make the clipping job much easier.

knikki2000
September 12th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the help, but I have one more question. After some searching I found the e-collar, but what does tapping paws mean? How would you do this? What products do you need to do this?

I think both of these products might be hlpful when cleaning my other cats ears which we have to do daily or every other day due to his allergies.

knikki2000
September 12th, 2005, 04:35 PM
So we should try to Shampoo him before we shave, even if he is matted?