Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hungry dog

debbie38
September 12th, 2005, 02:24 PM
hi all i have 2 ****zus a male who is 3 years old and a female that is 11 months old the concern is with my female her eating haboits have changed quite a lot in the last couple of months i just cant seem to feed her enough she eats all her food in a flash and half the time she wont even chew it
and after she has finished her food she goes over to my other dogs bowl and trys to get his food without success my dogs get wormed every 12 weeks by the vet and i have checked her poo and there is no worms in that does anyone have any ideas

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Shih tzu
What kind of food are you using, how much do you feed her each day?

Lucky Rescue
September 12th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Are both dogs spayed/neutered?

debbie38
September 12th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Shih tzu
What kind of food are you using, how much do you feed her each day?
stacey i feed my dogs fresh organic chicken and rice and they also have a seperate bowl with biscuits in it they have 4 chickeen necks each or they have about 250grams of chicken cooked with rice and veges i have always fed them this amount my male dog is eating his at a normal pace but the female can even swallow the chicken necks whole could she be pregnant

debbie38
September 12th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Are both dogs spayed/neutered?
no i would like to bred them

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Why are you giving chicken necks. The bones may splinter and if she swallows them whole there could be serious problems. This meal is not complete. Are you giving supplements.
Your female is at the age where she will be going through her first heat cycle but she is far too young to be haviing puppies and could be dangerous for all of them. If she has been eating this way for the past two months I doubt she is pregnant. Why do you want to breed them?
Some dogs eat this way when they feel like they are competing for food.

debbie38
September 12th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Why are you giving chicken necks. The bones may splinter and if she swallows them whole there could be serious problems. This meal is not complete. Are you giving supplements.
Your female is at the age where she will be going through her first heat cycle but she is far too young to be haviing puppies and could be dangerous for all of them. If she has been eating this way for the past two months I doubt she is pregnant. Why do you want to breed them?
Some dogs eat this way when they feel like they are competing for food.
stacy i put down my dog was 11 months old srry she is 18 months up untill 3 weeks ago she was quite happy with what she was being fed i have seperated the dogs at feeding time but after lucy eats her dinner she is running around everywhere looking for more my male dog takes about 15 minutes to eat his necks and about 10 minutes to eat his rice why dont u think i am feeding them enough ? and i want to bred the dogs has that is what i bought them to do they are pedigree shi tzu

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Meat/grain is only part of what a dog needs in their diet. Even dogs who are eating a raw diet needs supplements. Where did you get the idea to feed chicken necks.
Have you reached championship status with these dogs. Are you going to do testing for genetic health problems. Having a registered dog doesn't mean very much for the quality of the dog. What are you planning to do that is going to better the lines.

LL1
September 12th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Chicken necks are great for dogs,most raw diets include them.I would not feed them cooked however.Dogs do not need grains.

coppperbelle
September 12th, 2005, 08:16 PM
I have read that chicken alone is not sufficient for dogs on a raw diet. They need other meats such as beef, organ meats etc...
Recently my golden was diagnosed with thyroid problems. One of the symptoms of this illness for her was that she was always hungry. She would inhale her food and then look for more.
A simple blood test will tell you if the problem is thyroid.

BoxerRescueMTL
September 12th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Hi there,
Coppperbelle is totally right-you need to feed more variety! There is a wealth of information available even online about the raw diet. You can start with this site http://www.rawlearning.com/ and this is a good one too http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm. You should research it completely beforehand. Variety is key.

Prin
September 12th, 2005, 10:54 PM
What does your breeder suggest? Is it safe to assume that your breeder has agreed to let you breed his/her dogs? Is the breeder guiding you through it all? Does the breeder have feeding recommendations?

justncase
September 14th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Just a thought, but you could have your dog checked for hyperthyroidism if you happen to be bringing your dog to a vet for a check-up anytime soon.

Sneaky
September 14th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Another suggestion too, have her checked for worms.
Some types of worms will make dogs ravenous, and yet they will gain no weight.
I would recommend taking her to the vet and having the vet check for worms, and pregnancy.