Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

advice wanted re: dog walkers, training, and where to go?

mars
September 11th, 2005, 06:05 PM
i have a 2-year-old border collie/lab. i work 5 days a week and would like to have a dogwalker for about 3 days a week to get him out and exercising while i'm gone. i just met with a dog walker and i have a felling he might reject my ben! he keeps his dogs off-leash at all times and worries my dog might take off. ben is also not generally good around kids, which i told him and plan to tell anyone who'll take him. he does tend to occasionally bark at random people i guess he must sense something from as overall he loves people and is quite affectionate. my questions are, should i train him before handing him over to a dog walker, or maybe send him to doggie daycare instead? although i don't know if daycares train. i'm in southwest toronto and am open to suggestions on good walkers or trainers or daycares, in this area if anyone knows of any. and also if anyone experienced in this area could guide me as to which i should start with? thanks for any help!

StaceyB
September 11th, 2005, 06:13 PM
In Ottawa and I believe most cities there are by-laws. Dogs must be on-leash unless in an off leash designated area. Where did this guy plan on walking the dog. I am a little biased as I am opening a daycare/ training center but I would choose this over the other. I would worry that my dog was not being watched properly or put into unsafe situations. What happens if the collar or leash were to break. How would they handle that.

mona_b
September 11th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I am so happy to hear you were honest with the dog walker about Ben... :)

I would definately have him enrolled with a trainer.Also,I would talk to an Animal Behaviorist(geez I can't spell...LOL)

You are having issues with Ben,so a dog walker would not be good nor a doggy daycare.

Here are a few trainers you can contact.

http://www.torontodogs.com/training.htm

mona_b
September 11th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Here is another.

http://www.barkbusters.ca/trainers-torontoEtobicoke.html

StaceyB
September 11th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Research the different facilities in your area. Some will segregate groups of dogs that get along and if the facility offered training they could work on his issues while he is there at an added cost.

mona_b
September 11th, 2005, 06:36 PM
So true with what Stacey said.

Call the diffent one that are in the links I posted.And you can explain the issues you are having with Ben.

I would look in the second link.She is an animal behaviorlist.

mars
September 11th, 2005, 06:36 PM
he said he only goes to leash-free parks where they can run around and play with eachother. and yes, i am concerned about ben being with someone else and not knowing how under control he is, but i don't think he should be stuck at home five days a week while i'm at work. what do i do!!!!!! and thanks for the pat on the back mona b!!! i couldn't have ben hurting someone else and the thought of him being put to sleep is unbearable!! are behaviourists (i spell checked :D ) the same as trainers? i'm going to look on those sites right now. thanks so much for that!! :party:

mars
September 11th, 2005, 06:38 PM
perfect. i'm on it!! ;)

mona_b
September 11th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the spell check..... ;)

The behaviourists is also a trainer.They helps you understand your dog.They will work with the issues you have and help you work on them.They actuall know how a dogs mind works.They are great for problem issues in dogs. :)

StaceyB
September 11th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Be careful as anyone can say they are a behaviourist. Some trainers are quite qualified and others are not, check them out. If the trainer doesn't allow dogs with behaviour issues then they probably don't have the skills needed. Find out what their success rate is.

mona_b
September 11th, 2005, 06:57 PM
This is why I picked Cindy for her..... ;)

mars
September 11th, 2005, 07:01 PM
good thinking. i just emailed the link for the behaviourist and listed in it ben's problems when we're outside so i guess i'll know depending on what she has to say about them. her method sounds a lot like the woman who's book i read (who sent me an email back, after i asked her some questions, telling me that i was selfish and shouldn't have my dog for the fact that i work and leave him home during the day). i hope this woman doesn't email me back to tell me off too!! :confused: we'll see how it goes and hopefully she's not very expensive. i like the idea of the trainer coming to me!!

StaceyB
September 11th, 2005, 07:07 PM
I deal with this quite often and wouldn't be sending you a nasty email. I want dogs to have the best chance possible to solve their issues and I am sure you will find one in your area that feels the same way.

mars
September 11th, 2005, 07:27 PM
well that's very nice of you and that's what i expected from this woman. i was surprised to get the response i did not only because i was asking her for help, but i would have thought she would have the dog's best interest in mind and anything she would have said would have been to help him. naturally she should think that i wasn't about to get rid of my dog, so she was no help to him whatsoever. sounds like you could teach her something about priority.

StaceyB
September 11th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks
Another thing you want to know is what method they use. I use only positive methods with great success. You also need to have the trainer instruct you with how to follow through at home.

LL1
September 11th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Actual certified behaviorists are very hard to find,I can only think of three off the top of my head in Ontario,Dr. Gary Landsberg,Dr. Susan Simmons and Dr.Pam Reid (mostly in NY now I think).

StaceyB
September 11th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Certification in the states and canada is different.

LL1
September 11th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Im talking about Ontario certified behaviorists.

StaceyB
September 11th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Certification is through a specific organization not by country, province or state.

LL1
September 11th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Maybe you aren't reading my posts,I am saying which behaviorists in Ontario are certified,she is Toronto,so I am trying to be helpful.

StaceyB
September 11th, 2005, 10:07 PM
All I am trying to point out is that certification is not something done by the province or country like some professions. I completely agree that you need to check out their credentials but certification may or may not mean very much depending on where it came from.
I think we do agree to find one that is qualified.

LL1
September 11th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Ok.

Dr. Landsberg is board certified and a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists,and their President;and Dr. Reid and Dr. Simmons are professionally certified by the Animal Behavior Society as Applied or Associate Applied Animal Behaviorists.I'm not aware of any others in Ontario.Most people using the title are scammers,these ones are not.

mars
September 12th, 2005, 07:55 AM
thanks for the help! i'll look up those doctors as well, might as well check with a few before i get started. i am speaking with cindy this afternoon so i'll see what she what she has to say. you're all very helpful, ben and i thank you for all the referrals and advice!!

mars
September 12th, 2005, 02:05 PM
well i've booked it with cindy. i liked her because her price includes a lifetime of being able to call her and get advice and help in person no matter where i might decide to move to! i only have one concern. while she was on the phone with me, some people walked into her house that her dog was excited to see, which prompted him to bark. she told me to hang on and when she put down the phone i heard her growling like a dog. i've heard of this method! and although her dog stopped barking, i don't know if i can picture barking and growling after my dog in public! uh oh! :eek:

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 02:10 PM
You can choose a word like quiet, enough.

mars
September 12th, 2005, 02:15 PM
so you think for that method, barking and growling isn't the only option?

poodletalk
September 12th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Mars,

I haven't had time to read all your posts, but your situation reminds me of mine. I have a border collie mixed with husky. I hired a dog walker, I was very nervous just incase Maggie broke off her leash and ran. Incase she snapped at someone. I hired a proffesional not just anyone off the street. She belongs to PSA (PetSitting Assocation) she's insured and she's bonded. Her references included a veternairn and a Local SPCA. I told her all my fears and some problems I have with Maggie. She doesn't allow my dog to play with other dogs she doesn't know during the walk. Even if the people insist their dog nows my dog. She doesn't want to take the responsibility incase the dogs get hurt. She calls me after the walks to tell me how they went. She changes her water after the walk and gives her home baked cookies for dogs she baked. I read your first post, I don't think this dogwalker who takes the dogs to dogparks is your best solution as of yet. Your dog needs one and one time, then slowly introduce another dog to the walk. Pay abit more and hire someone who's good. This will ease your mind while you are at work.

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 02:22 PM
No I don't.

mars
September 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM
poodletalk - are you in the toronto area? because i like the sound of your dog walker!!

and stacey b - i phoned her back and she said that's only a part of it and i won't be using that method outside. phew!

poodletalk
September 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM
http://www.petsit.com/locate/fetch.asp

Type in your area code and you will find a dog walker with the same creditnals as my dogwalker. (I live in Montreal)

poodletalk
September 12th, 2005, 03:28 PM
http://www.petsit.com/locate/fetch.asp

Type in your area code and you will find a dog walker with the same creditnals as my dogwalker. (I live in Montreal