Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog walking

kayla
September 11th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I'm a university student with a pretty flexible schedule and was thinking of doing dog walking as a way to make a but of extra cash. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the logistics and legality of this? I'm not looking to start a huge business or anything, maybe just a couple hours of walking a day during weekdays. I am wondering if there are many legal issues I should be aware of? For example, do I need the people to sign something in case their dog attacks another or vice versa? I'm just worried about something beyond my control happening and getting sued for it. Should I be worried about this or should I just make sure I choose to walk only obviously friendly dogs and not let them around other strange dogs? It would also be nice to be able to walk my own dog at the same time as the others, to give both a chance to play. I know in Vancouver there is a limit on how many dogs you can walk at once, is there such a limit in Montreal?

I'm just starting to think about these things, and if anyone has any insights on the subject I would really appreciate it! Also, if anyone knows of an established dog walking business in Mtl please let me know, I can't find any!

raingirl
September 11th, 2005, 04:07 PM
First of all, are you insured (like, apartment insurance or house insurance). If you aren't, you have no liability insurance in case ANYTHING happens, which is bad. If you do, you probably have $1 million personal liability insurance. HOWEVER, there is probably a clause in the insurance, that if you are running a business that the insurance company doesn't know about, the liability insurance won't cover the loss (if something happened).

If you were going to consider it, I would HIGHLY recommend getting insurance for the business end should something happen. Would probably be $20 a month or so, but at least you have the peice of mind that you are covered if something happened.

This is the reason I don't charge for decorating cakes for people/friends. If someone got food poisoning, and the insurance company found out I was running a business out of my house, my liability insurance wouldn't cover it, and I would have to pay damages out of my pocket.

StaceyB
September 11th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I don't know about dog walking where there is no physical space(building). They range from 1500.00-1800.00yr.

coppperbelle
September 11th, 2005, 08:15 PM
I know there are dog walking services in Montreal. I don't know if they are registered businesses or just people who love dogs and want to supplement their income.
Insurance may be a good idea in case something happened to the dog while in your care but you may have to register yourself as a business.
If you decide to not go that route then make sure you tell people ahead of time that you are not insured.
I have received information about a dog walking service on the south shore of Montreal. I believe it may be in Brossard. The had other services available as well but I found their prices very expensive.
Perhaps if you look under dogsitting you will find more information.

poodletalk
September 12th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I have a dogwalker, she lives in Brossard but she comes over the bridge to walk my dogs. She's a member of PSA. (Pet Service Association) She is insured as well and she's bonded. (She felt being bonded is important since she's going into people's home when they weren't there) She has experience and she came with two very good references. She charges alot, but I know I can trust her with my dog and my house.