Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what does it mean if you cat squeaks when you pick it up?

NICKY
September 11th, 2005, 02:23 AM
what does it mean if you cat squeaks when you pick it up? :s

NICKY
September 11th, 2005, 02:33 AM
i have an 11 month old male blue russian cat. when we first bought him home he was sometimes quite conjested/weezie in the breath.

we have put this on the backburner as we dont feel that it truely affects the way he lives, he just gets a little breathless after playing, but for 98% of the time, he eats, sleeps and plays normally

the thing that has concerned us in the last few weeks is, has the weezing now turned into squeaking as his body is getting bigger? is it a hole in his lungs or heart that is getting bigger? i was told that the xrays would cost a fortune and we dont mind saving to have them done, but what i really wanted to know is if anyone else out there has a cat who squeaks when picked up, or if its a serous problem that needs to be addressed through expensive xrays?

Lucky Rescue
September 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM
You should have had this congestion and wheezing seen to right away, but now must get this checked out. Breathlessness after playing, in an 11 month old cat, is not normal and could be a symptom of something serious.

Better safe than sorry and better late than never.

cpietra16
September 11th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Actually my Russian Blue use to do that to. At first I thought she may have bruised her ribs or I was picking her around an injured area. We had her for 8 years and every time we picked her up she made that noice, like a squeek or a chirpy sound. Hard to describe but may be a character found only in Russian Blues. I have had 10 cats at any given time and she was the only one that ever did it. I was assured by a few vets that there was absolutely nothing wrong. But you can always have your cat checked out to ease your mind.

mona_b
September 11th, 2005, 02:00 PM
You should have had this congestion and wheezing seen to right away, but now must get this checked out. Breathlessness after playing, in an 11 month old cat, is not normal and could be a symptom of something serious.

Better safe than sorry and better late than never.

Ditto.

How long have you had him?

Has he been checked by a vet at all?

My sister had 2 Russion Blues,and I can honestly say they never did this when they were picked up.And they were picked up alot.... :D

NICKY
September 13th, 2005, 02:26 AM
hi all,

the last time he went to the vet was for his desexing at 7months, and he went to the vet two other times since i have had him for his shots and the vet didnt notice anything unusual in the breathing....(it doesnt happen all the time, just periodically) like, oh nicks is breathing a little heavy today kinda thing then we put on the humidifier for him :0 (so spoilt) ...and it seems to clear it up)... the squeeking is only something that happened last week and doesnt happen every time we pick him up..

my mother (homeopathic) said that the vet would usually have to take xrays of the heart and lung to see if anything was wrong? my question is, if there is something wrong, like a small hole in the heart or lung, what then?? surgery and months of operations that he may die from? :( :(

its very helpful to know that someone else has noticed the squeeking as it doesnt sound normal.... and as it doesnt happen everytime we pick him up i was mainly wondering if its more the WAY you pick him up rather than that he is sick..as he doesnt seem to be ill... :fingerscr

shannonRN
September 13th, 2005, 03:59 AM
I think this would be a good time to stop crossing your fingers :fingerscr and hoping for luck to be on your side, and to just take kitty to the vet to try to get to the root of the problem. As you say, the problem comes and goes, so you can't expect the vet to pick up on it in the limited time he/she sees your cat if you don't bring it up.

Regardless of the squeaking, the cat should be seen for the heavy breathing and wheezing. That is not normal and you need to tell the vet in detail what you have observed--spoil your cat by taking him for a check up.

chico2
September 13th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Definetly see a vet about his breathing,the"squeaking"is more than likely a reaction to being pick up,my Rocky(who is very"verbal")does the same,not many cats like to be carried around.

White Wolf
September 13th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Guessing what the vet will do and becoming afraid of the news won't help this cat. You might be surprised at how advanced veterinary care is these days.

NICKY
September 16th, 2005, 09:48 PM
i saw the vet today and he said that nicky has got pollen alergies... he squeaked again this morning. It is spring here in Australia..and very very windy today..

The vet said that when his windpipe gets a little blocked from the allergies that he will squeak. he said that he could put him on antihistomines but that would upset him more than just leaving him.. he isnt ever in pain just like when you have a cold and your breath is a little raspy and thats perhaps once in 30 days... maybe saying conjected and weezing were the wrong words to describe his problem as you all seem to think that is a really noticable thing, but its not...

If it were really a huge problem and i thought he was in pain i wouldnt hesitate to bring him to the vet immediatly, and i certainly wouldnt be asking on a website as to what to do if he were in pain :0 ... i was just interested to know if anyone else had noticed that their animals had ever squeaked when picked up, and some of you had...and thanks for your imput..

so, if anyone else notices squeaking in their animals on and off, it may just be a pollen alergy :) like a human with hayfever :eek: