Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hyperactivity and barking

Mowgli
September 10th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Help!
Every evening my 1 year old dog becomes hyperactive and starts barking at anything that moves! If I tell her "quiet" she will stop...for 2 seconds then resume. the neighbours are mad, the barking collar (citronella spray) does not impress her. She won't sit still even if brought int he house.
She is definitley exercised and fed well, trainers have suggested desensitizing to rabbits and squirrels (we have lots of them!) but it does not seem to make a difference. A homeopath suggested Coff. 30X in the evenings - nothing changed. then it was Bach's Flowers: Vervain. Nope!
We got her from the Humane Society and I certainly don't want to take her back. She is a very active dog and keeping her confined all day inside makes no sense(besides she becomes quite destructive!)At this point, any ideas are welcome.!!
Many thanks

Lissa
September 10th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I've never personally experienced something like this before...

Is she only barking at a certain time in the evening? Is it for a short period of time?

From what you wrote, it sounds like she is left outside in the backyard, is this all the time? If you know approximately when she goes "beserk", maybe taking her for a walk before it comes to that will occupy/tire her out (and hopefully stop her from getting all riled up!)?

My dog is very active too but he need more then a run/walk. Some days we go to the dog park, some days we train or practice agility, other days we walk around some school fields, go to the petstore, go swimming or "hunt" in the forest. If I only took him for on-leash walks around the park with no supplemental training or mental/social stimulation he would get bored.

Are you unsure about what exactly is causing your dog to bark? Is it the squirrels/rabbits or some other distraction? Something is obviously triggering her, you just need to figure out what it is! Good luck!

Prin
September 10th, 2005, 10:04 PM
A tired dog is a happy dog. If you really want to get this to stop, how about going for a play in tha park just before the usual time she barks?

Mowgli
September 10th, 2005, 10:18 PM
A tired dog is a happy dog. If you really want to get this to stop, how about going for a play in tha park just before the usual time she barks?
thanks everyone, that was fast!
Yep, we go out for a long walk every evening (plus one in the morning, plus playing in the yard - no chance of leaving her alone for hours) Not that she'll ever be tired!
I thought it was because she saw/felt rabbits but I tried to find them with a flashlight and there was nothing. It's annoying also because she just won't listen, usually she's somewhat(heh?) obedient. As soon as it gets darker its bark and run and bark and run - makes me tired to watch! Int he house it's just running! Can't even let her out to pee beacause she's so busy with the barking she won't go.

StaceyB
September 10th, 2005, 10:26 PM
It is normal to have a burst of energy about an hour before bed time. What breed is she, how long are her walks, what do you do when she barks, how long has she been doing it?

Prin
September 10th, 2005, 10:37 PM
You couldn't install a flood light or two back there so you can see better? If might be just trees moving that causes her to bark- you never know...

Mowgli
September 11th, 2005, 09:49 AM
People you are amazing! Thanks!
she is a portugese podengo (AKA Warren hound) mix (humane Soc. guessed at this but indeed she looks like one 100%)
Had no clue about the "burst of energy before bed". She always did this, about 1 week after we got her, started getting comfortable....and barking at anything that moves. After a 2 hour walk plus play, she still does it as if she just woke up!
Any ideas? thanks in advance