Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog wanted..

Operadog
September 10th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Hello, I am new to this board. My family and I have been doing alot of research into dogs as we are looking to welcome a dog into our petless family. I would rather rescue a dog rather than buy from a breeder. I am open minded as to what type of dog, although the smaller breeds would seem to suit us. We are open to a slightly older dog, as we are not set on a puppy. We like a more mellow personality. I am a stay at home mom of a 9 year old, so am able to offer alot of companionship for a dog. I have had a home visit from a rescue center, so am able to pass along their recommendation. We Live in a house with a yard in downtown/east-end Toronto. Please let me know if you have any ideas of where we may find our new little pooch. We like calmer type dogs, but ones which are happy to go for a jog every morning with me and a few walks a day. Thanks in advance for any tips. -Operadog-

Lucky Rescue
September 10th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Hi and welcome!:)

I'm sure you can find the perfect dog for your family on www.petfinder.org

One example is the adorable Buddy (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5047599&adTarget=&SessionID=4323817857625d6e-app2&display=&preview=1&row=100&tmpl=&stat=)

doggy lover
September 10th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Go to the library and get a book on dog breeds, find one that would suit your family and then like Lucky said go to www.petfinder.org they have every kind of breed or cross that you could think of. From older dogs to puppies. Keep us updated on how things go,we love doggy pictures.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 11th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Welcome to the forum and good luck finding your pooch. We have an 6 year old English Cocker Spaniel an we find him to be pretty mellow for the most part. Although he does have a bit of an attitude. Of course like all dogs each one is different so one may not always be like another. Example our dog almost never barks, and others bark constantly.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/englishcockerspaniels.html

and definately rescues of course in your area too.

Conners
September 16th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Welcome to the forum first of all. :highfive:
Since you haven't owned a pet before, don't forget to do plenty of reading first. Even an older dog if not properly introduced might not be as easy as it looks. Remember, no matter the age, they are still like having a 2 -3 year old in your family again.
You've gotten some very good advice so you are well on your way! :D

mastifflover
September 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Welcome and the way to go is rescues they are the best. Just do your research on breeds. We are always here for answers and support