Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bad hair cut

Ginger Green
September 10th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Our groomer trimmed our wheaton terrier like a schnauzer - in the process she shaved her tail down. I can see bare raw skin on the end of her little tail, and she is obviously concerned with it. What should I do to help this little spot heal?

mars
September 10th, 2005, 09:14 PM
you mean the skin was broken? jeez what is with these people! your poor doggy! you didn't sound panicky so i'm hoping it's not bad. i have quick stop, that powerdy stuff you dab on with a wet q-tip. i bought it when i tried clipping my dogs nails by myself, which i'll never do again! but i've used it also on little cuts he's gotten while playing outside. it basically just dries and protects the wound. so if it's minor, like a sore, i wouldn't worry about it. you can get quick stop from pet stores. i bought mine at pet value for about $5.

mars
September 10th, 2005, 09:15 PM
maybe you could clean it with some alcohol first as well?

doggy lover
September 10th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Clean with some peroxide and use an antibiotic cream like polysporin if you need to. But if its small and not infected I'd keep it clean and let it heal on its own. I would also be contacting the groomers and complaining about it.

Ginger Green
September 10th, 2005, 09:25 PM
She is definately acting edgy since she got back from the groomer - the area is red but not bleeding and it's right on the end of her tail about the size of :) . I think the groomer scared the $%^& out of her.

I don't have alcohol (he he he) but I have some antiseptic wash from J&J. Can I use that?

glasslass
September 11th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Aloe Vera gel is soothing and healing. And it's safe if she licks it. Poor baby!

StaceyB
September 11th, 2005, 06:19 PM
What did you say to the groomer when you picked her up, you must have been shocked. Had you used them before.
Be careful with what you put on her tail as it may cause irritation. Razor burn can be itchy.

Ginger Green
September 11th, 2005, 11:21 PM
I didn't notice that anything was wrong, because my dog usually acts up at the groomers.

Actually I got an ear full from the groomer - she suggested I medicate the dog next time with some benedrill (sp?) cold medicine before I bring her back. The sore spot does not look red anymore, but she is still very very timid. She carries her tail down and looks "guilty" all the time. Poor .

Cinnabear
September 12th, 2005, 01:18 AM
I certainly hope you told that groomer off. If she wasn't able to do your dog right, she shouldn't have shaved her. Doesn't seem very knowledgable about dog grooming. So sorry that your dog went through that. :sad:

StaceyB
September 12th, 2005, 01:30 AM
And to suggest drugging her with cold meds. I would report that. Some dogs can be drugged but it is given to you by a vet.

Trinitie
September 12th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Is the groomer you dealt with the owner of the store? If not, speak to the actual owner and lodge a complaint.

Keep reasuring your poor pup. She probably feels like she did something wrong, and that's why you brought her there. Lots of loving and lots of play time and she'll come around.

Definately find a new groomer!!!