Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What do you feed your dog(s)?

mars
September 10th, 2005, 05:41 PM
i've been curious about the raw diet for the last couple of weeks, and the posting about homecooked diet has brought me to ask about it. does anyone else do the raw diet? it's confused me as i've only just recently heard about it. i want my dog to eat healthy and i thought he did! but finding out about this raw diet is making me second guess that and also worry because it doesn't sound affordable for me. can anyone offer some information?

raingirl
September 10th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Raw can be a lot cheaper if you have the room to buy large amounts of meat/bone in bulk, and have your own grinder. If you have a large chest freezer, and live near a farm, you can get LOTS of cheap meat cuts and bone to grind yourself for a raw diet.

I figured my 50lb dog would be about 1 lb of meat/bone a day. At the grovery store, it would be way too expensive, but there is a farm around me that sells beef (all the leftovers after butchering, but still good for the dogs) at 44 cents a lb. Unfortunately, my dog has issues with beef, and I don't have a chest freezer, so it's not an option for me.

Some places sell already made raw dog food in 1 lb packages. I found out it would cost me $1100 a year to buy theirs, which was too expensive for me (and it had to be in bulk...but again I don't have a freezer).

So..I just stick with my dog food (Dick Van Patton's Duck and Potato).

Prin
September 10th, 2005, 08:25 PM
I have no butcher friends and with the combined weight of my dogs that would be the only way I would have been able to afford feeding raw. Now they're both on Solid Gold Wolf King and love it, and are doing very well.
Wolf King (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170)

mars
September 10th, 2005, 09:05 PM
oh good! hearing about raw diet almost made me feel guilty for feeding him dry food. in reading something about raw food it said that the meat they use for dog food is low grade meat that was basically rotted or from diseased animals and then sterilized. that can't be true right? i feed ben performatrin ultra.

coppperbelle
September 11th, 2005, 09:24 PM
oh good! hearing about raw diet almost made me feel guilty for feeding him dry food. in reading something about raw food it said that the meat they use for dog food is low grade meat that was basically rotted or from diseased animals and then sterilized. that can't be true right? i feed ben performatrin ultra.

You have to be very careful what you read and where the information comes from. I have found that some that feed raw are very adamant that this is the only way to feed a dog. They hear something about rotted and diseased animals and before you know it all dog foods are made from it. This is not true. True that some companies may do this but not all do.
Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for what you feed your dog. If you are happy with the food and your dog is doing well on it then this is all that is important.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
September 11th, 2005, 10:58 PM
We just switched to Solid Gold just a wee bit, and we mix in the seal meal supplement powder. The only draw back it comes in a smaller bag and ends up costing more than the Wolf King. I would reccomend the seal meal with whatever food you choose.

Prin
September 12th, 2005, 01:03 AM
LOL Joey's Mom- SEA Meal! LOL It's made from sea weed, not seals. :D

And yes I also use it (although I lay off it during ragweed season because Jemma gets too itchy from the flax and ragweed together...), and I recommend it for any food as well. :) Buy the small container first though, as some doggies don't like it too much and if they hate it, you don't want to be stuck with a huge jar of it... :)

mars
September 12th, 2005, 11:08 AM
phew! my first thought was that it was made from seals!! so what does it do?

mars
September 12th, 2005, 11:14 AM
and yes, ben seems to be a healthy dog with his performatrin. and he doesn't gulp it all in one sitting which makes me think that it's satisfying a and nourishing as opposed to when i go to my sister's place and ben could endlessly eat the dog chow and no name brands she buys for her dog. so maybe supposed healthier dog food isn't as tasty!

Rottielover
September 12th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Harley is on natural Balance, and we both love it. Him the taste, of chicken duck and lamb, and I love it, for what it has done for him

coppperbelle
September 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM
and yes, ben seems to be a healthy dog with his performatrin. and he doesn't gulp it all in one sitting which makes me think that it's satisfying a and nourishing as opposed to when i go to my sister's place and ben could endlessly eat the dog chow and no name brands she buys for her dog. so maybe supposed healthier dog food isn't as tasty!

I feed Solid Gold Wolf King and my dogs can't wait to eat and they gobble it up. I have heard the same from other people who feed this food so I would say it is very tasty at least to dogs.

Prin
September 12th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Cheap dog foods are loaded with flavors, yes, but there are still some very tasty good dog foods out there. Wolf King is one, and I believe anything with Salmon meal or other fish as a main ingredient is tasty too. :)

2Cats&AGolden
September 12th, 2005, 11:16 PM
does anyone else do the raw diet? it's confused me as i've only just recently heard about it. i want my dog to eat healthy and i thought he did! but finding out about this raw diet is making me second guess that and also worry because it doesn't sound affordable for me. can anyone offer some information?

My dog (nearly 4 yr old GR) has been raw fed since her late puppyhood. I switched her over cold turkey from Nutro kibble. She doesn't eat any grains or dairy, just raw meat, bone, pulped vegetables, fruit, oils, & eggs. The diet made a lot of sense to me because it is fresh & full of variety, and it's actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. I get an order of specialty meat monthly from www.poshnosh.ca, the majority of which is ground on bone. It is more expensive, but if you buy your raw meaty bone staples (e.g. chicken wings/necks/backs/hearts) in bulk and just supplement with the specialty meat it's not that bad. I'm always on the lookout for a bargain. I wouldn't buy the specialty meat but it's hard to find good deals on the rarer meats, such as bison & pheasant. I make my own veg/fruit mix based on whatever I have in the fridge - just toss it in the blender with some water and an egg. I use very few supplements aside from oils & seagreens/alfalfa.

In the case of my GR, I think the diet has been excellent for her health, she has not had to see the vet for any reason other than her spay and she's never had a skin problem or allergy, which is very common in goldens. She also has minimal shedding, and a very thick coat.

The best part of this diet is the small poops (2 x per day, very small & dry) and sparkly teeth, on account of the bone in the diet. The drawbacks are the amount of freezer space required and that you have to do more planning when you go away for a weekend (but it's worth it!)

Hope this helps!

BoxerRescueMTL
September 13th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I'd like to ditto 2Cats&AGolden :) She said exactly what I wanted to and even gets most of her meat from poshnosh, as do I, lol. I'd like to add that as a "rawfeeder" I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding kibble, as long as you have done your research and picked the best kibble out there. Rawfeeding is the best option for my dogs and it works for us. There are alot of great kibbles out there these days too. If you have raw diet questions, I really like this site http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm Good luck with your decision!